Billy Graham passes away
Story is on Drudge and many other sites.

Going through my FB feed, there a lot of (non-Catholics) posting of his passing, how great he was, how he spread the gospel, etc.

I never followed Graham all that closely, but definitely knew who he was.  And I know he was not a Catholic.

With all the people blathering on about him with his passing, it seems like an odd time to bring this up, but as good as the man was, per (traditional) Catholic teaching, it is highly likely that he will not obtain the beatific vision.  Am I wrong to think that?  If I'm not wrong, should I be compelled to point this out to all those praising him?
I wouldn't point out that he may not enter paradise.  Mostly, because we don't know his final hours, or the condition of his soul at his death, or how God judged him.

Graham was no Catholic, and didn't submit to the Church, and from what I can tell made to indication in his life that he would or did.  But, I don't see any reason to point this out to people.  It seems counter productive.  If we want our neighbor to convert, then we shouldn't pretend like we know who is condemned and who is saved.  That makes us look pompous, and more importantly, we don't know what that day will look like for us either.

I'll pray for Graham's soul and hope he saved it and for his family while they mourn, that is probably the best that one can do at this point
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Justin Alphonsus's post:
  • Galahad3
FWIW, and I only say this because I'm a fan (of Cash), he is credited with sobbering up Johnny Cash.
Pray more, Post less....
I agree to a certain extent, but then I see stuff like this being circulated on FB in homage to Graham:

[Image: 28336604_2032904903406979_14565373390808...o.jpg?dl=0]
(02-21-2018, 12:37 PM)CubanDan Wrote: FWIW, and I only say this because I'm a fan (of Cash), he is credited with sobbering up Johnny Cash.

Sobering up an chronic alcoholic is a good thing, but that in and of itself doesn't mean one is going to achieve the beatific vision.
They are Protestants, and they will do what Protestants do.  In their (errant) theology, Billy Graham is in Paradise for sure.  He accepted Christ, and got his salvation. End of story.

Of course, the faith teaches us the truth of the matter.  His soul should be prayed for, his good works praised, his heretical theology condemned.  That is about the extent of what we can do.
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Justin Alphonsus's post:
  • jovan66102
(02-21-2018, 12:49 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: They are Protestants, and they will do what Protestants do. 

The image I posted above came not from a Protestant, but from a "Catholic." 

See my dilemma?
If you have the wisdom and rhetorical finesse necessary to gently guide people toward the Church by using this opportunity to talk about the faults in Graham's theology -- without speaking ill of the dead and thereby pushing his devotees further away -- that's one thing (I know I don't, so I personally would not). If you feel compelled to respond to these posts simply because it burns you to see people "wrong on the internet," so to speak, then maybe it's a good time to practice humility and quietly pray for the conversion of souls (and for Graham's soul).
[-] The following 3 users Like Galahad3's post:
  • Catherine, jovan66102, Justin Alphonsus
(02-21-2018, 12:49 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: They are Protestants, and they will do what Protestants do.  In their (errant) theology, Billy Graham is in Paradise for sure. 

Not much different than most modern Catholics. I've been to way too many canonization... *ahem* I mean funeral Masses in my life to know how modern Catholics act towards death. Person could be the least religious person that you'll ever meet and everyone's talking about how they're in a better place, they're with God now, they're not suffering anymore. I'll hold out hope for any and all souls, but this modern idea of everyone goes to heaven except Hitler, Stalin and Bin Laden is just craziness. No more praying for their souls, no more contemplating our own judgement, that's all too "medieval."
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
He certainly did a better job of proclaiming God's teaching on abortion and homosexuality than Bergoglio and a number of Catholic Bishops have.