Billy Graham passes away
Even though he wasn't Catholic, Billy Graham did bring a lot of people to Christ who otherwise might never have known Him. "Whoever is not against Me is for Me." As someone here pointed out, Billy probably introduced more people to Christ than many Popes and lay Catholics.

I don't know much about Mr. Graham, but I don't think he did anything to specifically drive anyone away from Catholicism (like Jack Chick, for example).

We cannot definitively say if anyone is in heaven, except of course the canonized saints. So we must pray for his soul and hope that God will have mercy on all of us, for all of us are sinners.
St. Joseph, Terror of Demons, Pillar of Families, Glory of Domestic Life, Pray for Us!

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
(02-21-2018, 03:28 PM)GangGreen Wrote:  I've been to way too many canonization... *ahem* I mean funeral Masses in my life to know how modern Catholics act towards death. Person could be the least religious person that you'll ever meet and everyone's talking about how they're in a better place, they're with God now, they're not suffering anymore. I'll hold out hope for any and all souls, but this modern idea of everyone goes to heaven except Hitler, Stalin and Bin Laden is just craziness. No more praying for their souls, no more contemplating our own judgement, that's all too "medieval."
Which is exactly why I have included the following paragraph in my final wishes, a document to be left to my wife and children with instructions for want I want done after my death. They are to have a Mass offered for my soul at my Parish Church. I've already made arrangements for a TLM to be said by one of the Priests at OL of Guadalupe Seminary, but I also want a local Mass for friends and relatives to attend.

Quote:Father, I wish to have a Requiem Mass celebrated for the repose of my soul. I do not, repeat, do not want a Mass of Christian Burial. Whilst I die, by the Grace of God, and the prayers of His Most Blessed Mother, a loyal son of the Catholic Church, I have no doubt that, if I am saved, I will still have to suffer the pains of purgatory. I want no, ‘He’s in heaven’ now rhetoric at my Requiem.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • BC
(02-21-2018, 04:43 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Father, I wish to have a Requiem Mass celebrated for the repose of my soul. I do not, repeat, do not want a Mass of Christian Burial. Whilst I die, by the Grace of God, and the prayers of His Most Blessed Mother, a loyal son of the Catholic Church, I have no doubt that, if I am saved, I will still have to suffer the pains of purgatory. I want no, ‘He’s in heaven’ now rhetoric at my Requiem.

You better believe Fr Happyslappy will most undoubtedly be on the pulpit

"Now, Jovan requested that we do not make any proclamations that he is in Heaven, but with such humility and humbleness in his simple requests, there's no doubt he's already enjoying the joys of Heaven as we all will someday."
(02-21-2018, 05:58 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 04:43 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Father, I wish to have a Requiem Mass celebrated for the repose of my soul. I do not, repeat, do not want a Mass of Christian Burial. Whilst I die, by the Grace of God, and the prayers of His Most Blessed Mother, a loyal son of the Catholic Church, I have no doubt that, if I am saved, I will still have to suffer the pains of purgatory. I want no, ‘He’s in heaven’ now rhetoric at my Requiem.

You better believe Fr Happyslappy will most undoubtedly be on the pulpit

"Now, Jovan requested that we do not make any proclamations that he is in Heaven, but with such humility and humbleness in his simple requests, there's no doubt he's already enjoying the joys of Heaven as we all will someday."
:LOL:  Fr HappySlappy wouldn't last long in the Diocese of Lincoln.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Naturally speaking he was a good man, but nobody knows the state of anybody's soul unless he was canonized.
(02-21-2018, 04:43 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 03:28 PM)GangGreen Wrote:  I've been to way too many canonization... *ahem* I mean funeral Masses in my life to know how modern Catholics act towards death. Person could be the least religious person that you'll ever meet and everyone's talking about how they're in a better place, they're with God now, they're not suffering anymore. I'll hold out hope for any and all souls, but this modern idea of everyone goes to heaven except Hitler, Stalin and Bin Laden is just craziness. No more praying for their souls, no more contemplating our own judgement, that's all too "medieval."
Which is exactly why I have included the following paragraph in my final wishes, a document to be left to my wife and children with instructions for want I want done after my death. They are to have a Mass offered for my soul at my Parish Church. I've already made arrangements for a TLM to be said by one of the Priests at OL of Guadalupe Seminary, but I also want a local Mass for friends and relatives to attend.

Quote:Father, I wish to have a Requiem Mass celebrated for the repose of my soul. I do not, repeat, do not want a Mass of Christian Burial. Whilst I die, by the Grace of God, and the prayers of His Most Blessed Mother, a loyal son of the Catholic Church, I have no doubt that, if I am saved, I will still have to suffer the pains of purgatory. I want no, ‘He’s in heaven’ now rhetoric at my Requiem.

You and I have similar ideas. I've been considering writing something to be read at my wake. I want to beg for people to not "canonize" me and pray for my soul, to remind them that heaven is not assured, and to invite them to reconcile with God every day if necessary, because no one knows when it's their last.
(02-21-2018, 12:53 PM)IBonaventure Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 12:49 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: They are Protestants, and they will do what Protestants do. 

The image I posted above came not from a Protestant, but from a "Catholic." 

See my dilemma?

I know what you mean. On the FB page for my former NO parish, people were posting a meme about JPII meeting with Billy Graham and saying that today was a happy day for the Graham family. I agree with others who stated previously that it's difficult to remind people of what the Church actually teaches in a way that actually does any good, especially on FB. Personally, I would just post something about praying for his soul, and unless you know these people well enough to talk to them off the internet, I would just pray for those people too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • Galahad3
Here's an idea; in honor of Billy Graham, let's all write Catholic "altar calls" to be read at our wakes or gravesides to:

Remind people of Catholic teaching about salvation
Ask for prayers for the dead (ourselves included)
Call people to seek to live within a state of grace within the bosom of the Church and under the mantle of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Because I'm ornery, I might also add cryptic treasure-hunt-style clues at the end, and hide a really cool relic or sacramental somewhere if I happen to have one when I die. With it would be instructions on its proper use and where to donate it if the finder does not want to keep it. Would that be wrong?
Hearing neo Catholics more or less canonizing a non-Catholic, however admirable his zeal and sincere kindness, is a sign of the times.  According to EWTN radio and from lay folks alike, the impression is Mr. Graham is certainly in Heaven.

It is as if they have absolutely no familiarity with what Catholics always believed about salvation.  

Statement of Bishop Barres on passing of Billy Graham

Catholics in the Diocese of Rockville Centre join all of our brothers and sisters in Christ as we mourn the loss of “America’s Pastor,” the Rev. Billy Graham. Dr. Graham raised the minds of millions of people around the world to the importance of having Christ in their lives.  Back in the 1990s when he held one of his crusades at Nassau Coliseum he reached out in a spirit of respect to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre so that it could be a chance for us to work together for the good of all Long Islanders. May the Lord reward him for his selfless dedication to the spreading of the Word of God. 

https://drvc.org/home/2018-press-release...raham.html

Why bother with all of the hardships of being a Catholic, when you can go to Heaven preaching the Protestant "Gospel"?

Seriously.  Statements like this legitimatize Protestant ministering and pastoring and undermine Catholic teaching.  Does this not give the impression to all that Protestantism is a legitimate form of the Gospel?

A Christ without a Eucharist? A Christ without the Church?  Does and did such a Christ exist?

It is not our place to say where an individual soul goes after judgement, but Catholics never looked at the passing of non Catholic souls with good hope.

Saint Thomas More (died A.D. 1535): "Outside the Church there is no salvation, and therefore if the claims of the pope be true at all, then he who denies them imperils his soul." (Dialogue concerning Heresies.)

Saint John Kemble (English Martyr): "I die only for professing the old Roman Catholic Religion, which was that religion that first made this kingdom Christian, and whoever intends to be saved must die in that religion.

Saint John Marie Vianney, Declared Universal Model for Parish Priests (died 1859)

"The Cure' of Ars once gave a medal to a Protestant who visited him, who exclaimed: "Dear sir, you have given a medal to one who is a heretic.  At least I am a heretic from your point of view.  But although we are not of the same religion, I hope we shall both one day be in heaven."  The holy priest took the gentleman's hand in his own, and giving him a look which seemed to reach into his very soul, answered him, "Alas!  My friend, we cannot be together in heaven, unless we have begun to live so in this world.  Death makes no change in that. As the tree falls so shall it lie.  Jesus Christ has said, "He that does not hear the Church, let him be to thee as a heathen and a publican."  And He said again, "There shall be one fold and one shepherd." and He made Saint Peter the chief shepherd of His flock."  Then in a voice full of sweetness, he added, "My dear friend, there are not two ways of serving Jesus Christ; there is only one way, and that is to serve Him as He Himself wishes to be served."  Saying this the priest left him.  But these words sank deeply into the good man's heart, and led him to renounce the errors in which he had been brought up, and he became a fervent Catholic." (Life of the Cure of Ars, St. John Vianney)

St. Peter Julian Eymard, 1868 : "People often say:'it is better to be a good Protestant than a bad Catholic.'  That is not true! That would mean one could be saved without the true faith.  No. A bad Catholic remains a child of the family, though a prodigal, and, however great a sinner he may be, nearer to God than a Protestant, for he is a member of the household, whereas, the heretic is not. And how hard is it to make him become one!" (The Real Presence p.245)

Pope Pius IX, Syllabus of Modern Errors, Dec. 8, 1864 THE FOLLOWING PROPOSITIONS ARE CONDEMNED

18. Protestantism is nothing more than another form of the same true Christian religion, in which form it is given to please God equally as in the Catholic Church. -- Encyclical "Noscitis," Dec. 8, 1849. Condemned.
[-] The following 2 users Like BC's post:
  • Bonaventure, Paul
St Teresa of Avila wrote that she worried about those who had responsibility for the welfare of souls. I think it would be best to pray for the repose of his soul that God would give him the merciful judgement that we would want for ourselves.