To Stop Feeling Like the World Owes Me Something!
It's me again, the spoiled millennial :rolleyes: 

I recently started a job as a cashier in a grocery store. I haven't had a "real job" since I was fired in September 2017, and it's really difficult getting used to having a boss and a 30-minute lunch break again (I lived off my computer programming business after getting fired but it's not enough income to live off of now). But the most difficult part of all of this (I'm ashamed to admit) is that I'm bitter and angry that I went to college precisely because I wanted to avoid having to take a cashier job in order to survive. Going to college was supposed to be a kind of "insurance" against having to work a minimum wage job with the rest of the schmucks (or so they sold it to me at college as I shelled out $60k a year for a worthless degree).  :sobstory:

I know the world owes me nothing. I also know that going to college does not guarantee that you will get a good job. I guess I just feel cheated because I did all the "right things" and jumped through all the right hoops and yet I'm stuck asking people if they want paper or plastic and come home so exhausted at the end of the day that I can barely walk.

I guess I just need to offer it up and do penance for souls....but it is sure easier said than done!

Thanks for listening, everyone: just needed to rant :twoguns:

St. Mary of Egypt, Ora Pro Nobis!

If you know programming? Why on earth are you not in IT???

Get yourself to a recruiter like Robert Half International, Teksystems, or Select Group and have them hook you up with work. You have a degree, you do not need to be working as a cashier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • Justin Alphonsus
(02-21-2018, 04:29 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: It's me again, the spoiled millennial :rolleyes: 

I recently started a job as a cashier in a grocery store. I haven't had a "real job" since I was fired in September 2017, and it's really difficult getting used to having a boss and a 30-minute lunch break again (I lived off my computer programming business after getting fired but it's not enough income to live off of now). But the most difficult part of all of this (I'm ashamed to admit) is that I'm bitter and angry that I went to college precisely because I wanted to avoid having to take a cashier job in order to survive. Going to college was supposed to be a kind of "insurance" against having to work a minimum wage job with the rest of the schmucks (or so they sold it to me at college as I shelled out $60k a year for a worthless degree).  :sobstory:  

I know the world owes me nothing. I also know that going to college does not guarantee that you will get a good job. I guess I just feel cheated because I did all the "right things" and jumped through all the right hoops and yet I'm stuck asking people if they want paper or plastic and come home so exhausted at the end of the day that I can barely walk.

I guess I just need to offer it up and do penance for souls....but it is sure easier said than done!

Thanks for listening, everyone: just needed to rant :twoguns:
SacraCor714--

It's okay-- everyone needs to rant every now and then; and I respect you for not feeling too bitter-- you understand that you are not owed a so-called "real job" after college. There are many people, from the millennial generation right on up to the oldest generation, who think that by the very nature of their education/slash experiences they ARE owed something. 

Often those people are the ones who treat people who they view as not having "real jobs" (e.g., cashiers, restaurant wait staff, people who do dirty/physically exhausting jobs) the worst-- especially if they got their "dream job" right out of college.  

I think you are lucky, SacraCor, for not getting a cush job right out of college. 

Personally, I've often only half-joked that everyone who gets a college degree should, upon graduation from college, be given a shovel and thrown into a ditch, and then be made to work HARD. 

(And I say this as someone who has two college degrees). 

I think those experiences make people appreciate their more comfortable jobs when they finally do get them, and it is a strong motivator for them to treat people who work "menial" jobs much better. 

I'm in my 40s now, and I've never had a job where I sit inside behind a computer (except for very rare occasions). Every job I've ever had has been physical, and none were in my field of study-- but I am proud of what I do, and am grateful to God for providing me the means to put food on my table. 

You should be too-- be proud of what you do, be the best cashier you can be, be grateful to God, and I think you'll be okay.

(BTW, I like your violin emoticon:))