Help with Cystic Acne?
I suffer from very painful cystic acne, particularly around my time of the month. I have been on oral medication for acne but it caused so many side effects that I quit. Topical treatments do not seem to work either. Anyone have any remedies? I'm an adult now and this is getting embarrassing..... :bronxcheer:

St. Mary of Egypt, Ora Pro Nobis!

As a disclaimer, I've never had cystic acne before, so what works for me might not work for you, but here's the long list of things that I try when I have a breakout. 

General stuff:
Minimize touching face unless I'm washing it or applying a treatment. I only do so with washed hands.
Minimize makeup. I usually only wear mascara and tinted lip balm when I have acne troubles. If you're self conscious about the redness when you go out, cortisone cream can help. 
Wash makeup brushes.
Wash bedding more frequently that week, or at least my pillow case.
If the weather is nice and the affected area is not (ahem!) too immodest, I get some extended sunshine on that puppy. 

Remedies:
Witch hazel in the effected area as a part of my face washing routine or after I shower. 
Facial mask daubed on the pimples, followed by tea tree oil. 
Warm soap and water followed by antibiotic ointment only if it has ruptured or has been popped.

I also make sure I'm getting enough vitamins, especially C and D3. If it's really bad I'll sometimes try eating 1 raw clove of garlic daily. The allicin in garlic is a good antiviral/antibiotic.
(02-21-2018, 06:34 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: I suffer from very painful cystic acne, particularly around my time of the month. I have been on oral medication for acne but it caused so many side effects that I quit. Topical treatments do not seem to work either. Anyone have any remedies? I'm an adult now and this is getting embarrassing..... :bronxcheer:

Praying for you. I suffer from this too, it is so hard emotionally :(
Hang in there :heart:
Dominus meus et Deus meus :heart:

“It's true, I suffer a great deal--but do I suffer well? That is the question.”
~ Saint Therese de Lisieux
Although I don't suffer from this awful skin problem, I do have Psoriasis, so I can empathize with you.

Here is a possible treatment and one that is not toxic and from a reliable source. At least, he's been reliable in my experience with his articles and products.

Health Ranger
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
I use tea tree oil for a really bad breakout.
Research eliminating wheat from your diet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeanannemarie's post:
  • Fontevrault
(02-21-2018, 06:34 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: I suffer from very painful cystic acne, particularly around my time of the month. I have been on oral medication for acne but it caused so many side effects that I quit. Topical treatments do not seem to work either. Anyone have any remedies? I'm an adult now and this is getting embarrassing..... :bronxcheer:

When did you come off the meds?  If it was a tetracycline there tend to be rebound effects, so that could be part of the reason for a time after quitting.  I think it's the right decision for sure though.  Don't build up immunities to antibiotics if you can avoid it.

One thing that helped me is taking a fish oil supplement.  Omega 3's reduce inflammation systemically, so it can reduce acne dramatically.  I always do a cold rinse before getting out of the shower to close my pores and again to reduce inflammation.  You could get the laser surgery the cauterizes the pores; I know some people who are trying that but I don't know if it works well or not.  Drink tons and tons of water all the time, and make sure you're taking in enough Vitamin C and protein to help with wound healing for when something pops.  The sooner it closes up and heals, the less risk there is of spread.
Please forgive my ignorance but is this like a tendency toward abscesses?  When I was younger, I had a tendency toward bacterial infections and abscesses . . .  I had a few lanced by a doctor and they were extremely painful.  The doctors gave me a topical antibacterial wash to use daily in the area.  Might something like that help you?  Once I got the infection under control (through only topical antibiotics), the painful boils went away.  Now, there's no trace of the problem.   

I think there's sense in the whole changing pillowcases regularly (even daily).  I would also wash towels, wash cloths, anything that comes in contact with infected areas daily until things improve.  You might consider replacing makeup on the off chance that the powder compact is infected or something weird like that is going on.
Adoption, Home School, and Catholic Family Life:  StolenPears.com