I wish more Dioceses were!
(02-28-2018, 11:44 AM)GangGreen Wrote: Add in the fact that the music isn't grating and there is more silence, so a person can spend Mass in silent mental prayer/contemplation (a higher form of prayer than verbal prayer) which is almost impossible in the New Mass (which according to the New Mass supporters is not "participation").

This is what I lament most about my home parish: The complete lack of silence. People loudly converse about banal matters before Mass, and the cantors rehearse the day's hymns right in the nave as people are trying to pray and prepare for what's about to happen. Then, during Communion, some obnoxious hymn is being sung by the whole congregation, often (though thankfully not always) to jangly guitar music. It makes it very difficult to concetrate on mental prayer. Then right after Mass, when it would be nice to spend five minutes kneeling, offering thanksgiving, there's a big stampede out of the building, and guessing from the conversations that happen during this time, it's like people instantly forgot what just happened (or maybe they didn't even know to begin with).

That said, I have been to several very beautiful, quiet, reverently-celebrated and -attended NO Masses elsewhere -- they're out there.
(02-28-2018, 02:36 PM)Galahad3 Wrote: That said, I have been to several very beautiful, quiet, reverently-celebrated and -attended NO Masses elsewhere -- they're out there.
Come to my Parish! Absolutely silent before Mass, no guitars, tho' I wish the hymn selection would improve! After Mass, conversation is confined to the narthex and that in subdued voices. A friend, who lives in the Diocese of Des Moines, but grew up here in Lincoln said that one of the things she misses most is the silence!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Galahad3
I'm all for silence, but can't stand it when the congregation goes sour grapes over a little baby making a bit of noise, turning around all frowny faced to see which is the wee culprit. I know Jesus wouldn't mind, it's just His little lamb bleating. But yes, the mother should take her babe out of chapel at that point.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(02-28-2018, 10:11 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: I'm all for silence, but can't stand it when the congregation goes sour grapes over a little baby making a bit of noise, turning around all frowny faced to see which is the wee culprit. I know Jesus wouldn't mind, it's just His little lamb bleating. But yes, the mother should take her babe out of chapel at that point.

I'm reminded of when I was Orthodox. My oldest daughter was making a fuss, and there was no cry room in our small Church. After Liturgy I apologised to my Pastor. He responded, 'Don't apologise! At least I know she's here!' Of course, he was married with eight kids, so he understood.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Talk about being ridiculous and ignorant.
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.
(02-27-2018, 07:29 AM)BobR67 Wrote: This has brought up a thought I had. Would all of these protestant converts we have, especally the ones on the radio and TV. Would they have converted if Vatican II never happend? I have felt that the answer is probably not.

I converted 20 years ago. If Vatican II had never happened, I probably would have still converted – I just wouldn't have spent most of the past 20 years wondering what I've gotten myself into. I definitely had a high-powered pair of rose-colored glasses in 1998!  :D
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!