"Spiritual but not religious"...? Your views, please...?
(04-05-2018, 03:36 PM)Echo Wrote: Going back to Joe Rogan, here is one of his shows with ousted Evergreen College Professor Bret Weinstein. Joe makes the standard claims that the Catholic church is a cult at around the 1:50:00 mark of this video. Joe thinks that because he grew up Catholic (personal ax to grind) that he somehow confident and correct in his assessment of the Church. He thinks the messages of his use of psychedelic drugs is somehow more valid.

just another thing that irritates the crud outa me about noncatholics.. of which ex catholics are the worst

they act like just because  they were "raised catholic" whatever the heck that means

they are some kind of authority.

I was "rasied catholic" and didn't know much of anything about the Church.. and all i can say is that all that ignorance was

N O T    B L I S S (in the end)

Ignorance is bliss only for a season (usually the days of one's youth)
[-] The following 1 user Likes gracemary5's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
(04-05-2018, 03:49 PM)gracemary5 Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 03:36 PM)Echo Wrote: Going back to Joe Rogan, here is one of his shows with ousted Evergreen College Professor Bret Weinstein. Joe makes the standard claims that the Catholic church is a cult at around the 1:50:00 mark of this video. Joe thinks that because he grew up Catholic (personal ax to grind) that he somehow confident and correct in his assessment of the Church. He thinks the messages of his use of psychedelic drugs is somehow more valid.

just another thing that irritates the crud outa me about noncatholics.. of which ex catholics are the worst

they act like just because  they were "raised catholic" whatever the heck that means

I was "rasied catholic" and didn't know much of anything about the Church.. and all i can say is that all that ignorance was

This is where ex-Catholics or fallen away Catholics seem to be never honest. Seems like they're blindsided by their own modern hubris of "well I'm doing' okay w/o religion!" mentality.
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.
My dad is a militant ex Catholic but honestly i think he was molested by a priest. How else do you go from being an Altar Boy in your youth with dreams of the  to utterly despising Catholicism,the priesthood and everything else about Rome or even Jesus? 

My mom is also an ex Catholic,as is my best friends mom,the latter having left after allegedly being propositioned in the confessional as a young woman!

The wounds caused by evil men who are the public face of the Church undermine people's faith in God and in the claims of the institution.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
[-] The following 1 user Likes formerbuddhist's post:
  • Mourning Dove
(04-19-2018, 12:52 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: My dad is a militant ex Catholic but honestly i think he was molested by a priest. How else do you go from being an Altar Boy in your youth with dreams of the  to utterly despising Catholicism,the priesthood and everything else about Rome or even Jesus? 

My mom is also an ex Catholic,as is my best friends mom,the latter having left after allegedly being propositioned in the confessional as a young woman!

The wounds caused by evil men who are the public face of the Church undermine people's faith in God and in the claims of the institution.

gee, i  thoguht i had had odd confessions!

But you know.. i have suffered greatly bc of bad priests and i am not leaving the Church so.. you know, people have their excuses, both the ones they use w/ others .. and the real ones
(04-19-2018, 01:42 AM)GRA Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 03:49 PM)gracemary5 Wrote:

This is where ex-Catholics or fallen away Catholics seem to be never honest. Seems like they're blindsided by their own modern hubris of "well I'm doing' okay w/o religion!" mentality.

i have had it happen more than a few times: I will be thinking I am doing well with God, nothing really wrong (except he doesn't answer my prayer to bring Mr Perfect into my life but even God can't... oh, never mind) anyway... yeh, i think i am OK but then i spend time in the Real Presence and realize I was NOT doing Ok... rather mysterious  but..