scripture contradicts other scriptures?
(03-14-2018, 06:01 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 05:12 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: I am not sure Luther and King H VIII were that powerful. I mean, it is each person's responsibllity to get saved... Yes, they influenced a lot of p eople and led in the wrong direction but God doesn't send anyone to Hell... Oh, never mind... I can't speak for God vis a vis such things...

Luke3 was banned, so replying is pretty pointless, but what he wrote is false and demonstrably so.

The Rheims version of the New Testament was completed in 1582 (19 years after the Council of Trent ended). The Douai version of the Old Testament was completed in 1610 (47 years after the Council of Trent ended). The Douay-Rheims bible is the combination of the two after this point.

The problem with the KJV is more the Protestant theology which intentionally mistranslates portions to undermine Catholic doctrine. That's why it should be avoided.

i am a little distracted right now so don't really get some of what you are saying. Are you saying we shouldn't read the Douay Rheims? or that there is something better?
gracemary5,

Not to put words in other peoples mouths, but from myself:  read the Douay-Rheims.  Do you have one?  I am not a big Bible reader, but it is satisfying to have a Douay-Rheims.  I have said, it is like--as a contrast against those outside the church's teaching authority--when Jesus spoke:  he spoke with authority, not as the Pharisees.  Protestant Bibles are often euridite; however, there is no teaching authority there.
St.  Christopher, pray for uspeaceful means toward peaceful ends.

:doh:
:skullbones:
(03-14-2018, 06:13 PM)gracemary5 Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 06:01 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 05:12 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: I am not sure Luther and King H VIII were that powerful. I mean, it is each person's responsibllity to get saved... Yes, they influenced a lot of p eople and led in the wrong direction but God doesn't send anyone to Hell... Oh, never mind... I can't speak for God vis a vis such things...

Luke3 was banned, so replying is pretty pointless, but what he wrote is false and demonstrably so.

The Rheims version of the New Testament was completed in 1582 (19 years after the Council of Trent ended). The Douai version of the Old Testament was completed in 1610 (47 years after the Council of Trent ended). The Douay-Rheims bible is the combination of the two after this point.

The problem with the KJV is more the Protestant theology which intentionally mistranslates portions to undermine Catholic doctrine. That's why it should be avoided.

i am a little distracted right now so don't really get some of what you are saying. Are you saying we shouldn't read the Douay Rheims? or that there is something better?

I am saying that no one version of the Bible is the right one. In your quote of Luke3 he claimed that the Council of Trent declared the D-R "dogma". That is not correct.

There are many versions of the English Bible. The Douay is good for getting a literal reading of the Latin in English, but it suffers from some deficiencies as a result. For instance it prefers a literal word-for-word translation where when something is said by some poetic phrase or idiom, the translation misses this, and you get an unclear reference.

There are plenty of good versions. Douay is fine. Knox is fine. The Jerusalem Bible is fine. Each has its strong and weak points. None is better than the other. Each is better in a particular way, and worse in another way.
(03-15-2018, 01:36 AM)KBF1970060 Wrote: gracemary5,

Not to put words in other peoples mouths, but from myself:  read the Douay-Rheims.  Do you have one?  I am not a big Bible reader, but it is satisfying to have a Douay-Rheims.  I have said, it is like--as a contrast against those outside the church's teaching authority--when Jesus spoke:  he spoke with authority, not as the Pharisees.  Protestant Bibles are often euridite; however, there is no teaching authority there.

i know

yes, i have a DR Bible, and i still say it is the best version to read. Just as far as perceptions alone go.. i just felt it was more Catholic than other Bibles. But my perceptions are based on having studied Catholicism.. history, etc. Example: The Ark of the Covenant was the precursor of the Real Presence (Eucharist). It was where God met man to hear his prayers
Quote:I am saying that no one version of the Bible is the right one. In your quote of Luke3 he claimed that the Council of Trent declared the D-R "dogma". That is not correct.

There are many versions of the English Bible. The Douay is good for getting a literal reading of the Latin in English, but it suffers from some deficiencies as a result. For instance it prefers a literal word-for-word translation where when something is said by some poetic phrase or idiom, the translation misses this, and you get an unclear reference.

There are plenty of good versions. Douay is fine. Knox is fine. The Jerusalem Bible is fine. Each has its strong and weak points. None is better than the other. Each is better in a particular way, and worse in another way.

sorry, but i don't trust anything Protestant, to speak of. I do trust noncatholics who are TRYING to follow Jesus, have had a conversion experience, but their bibles.. i don't bother w/ them.
(02-27-2018, 06:53 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: I think we are only supposed to not repeat the same requests, with the thought that by doing so, we will get w hat we ask for... ?

Before I first converted to Catholicism, I believed in God, and I used to pray the same request over and over again (I was always anxious and scrupulous, even before becoming Catholic), because I inherently believed if I repeated the request, God was more likely to say yes.  I think this is what the text is condemning.  It shows a lack of faith that God knows what is best for you.
(04-05-2018, 03:52 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 06:53 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: I think we are only supposed to not repeat the same requests, with the thought that by doing so, we will get w hat we ask for... ?

Before I first converted to Catholicism, I believed in God, and I used to pray the same request over and over again (I was always anxious and scrupulous, even before becoming Catholic), because I inherently believed if I repeated the request, God was more likely to say yes.  I think this is what the text is condemning.  It shows a lack of faith that God knows what is best for you.

yes, this is well worded. I have been guilty of that: repeating a request because i just KNOW that is what i need and nothing else will work. But i haven't received that one request, so.. i have to just let it go. I have to remind myself that God knows a few things about my situation... not much but a few things... :)
(04-05-2018, 03:56 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: yes, this is well worded. I have been guilty of that: repeating a request because i just KNOW that is what i need and nothing else will work. But i haven't received that one request, so.. i have to just let it go. I have to remind myself that God knows a few things about my situation... not much but a few things... :)

Story of my LIIIIFFFFFFEEEEEE..... :)