Anyone ever tried a keto diet?
I've been considering it for a while now because I don't really see any downsides to it.  It's supposed to be an amazing protection against cancer (since cancer cells thrive off of readily available glucose from carbs as opposed to fats and proteins), and with the latest research emphasizing the benefits of a diet full of fats (as long as there isn't a concomitant consumption of sugars), it seems like a no-brainer.  My only concerns are never being able to go out to eat or get a quick meal, and the initial transition from normal metabolism into ketosis.  I don't really have the available time to allow myself to get hypoglycemic and cranky while waiting for my body to take the hint.

Experiences?
I found it incredibly restrictive and had a hard time with "normal life."  As long as I was cooking at home, it was fine, but as soon as we went out or visited family, things fells apart.  I found it not sustainable long-term.
Adoption, Home School, and Catholic Family Life:  StolenPears.com
(03-01-2018, 10:15 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I've been considering it for a while now because I don't really see any downsides to it.  It's supposed to be an amazing protection against cancer (since cancer cells thrive off of readily available glucose from carbs as opposed to fats and proteins), and with the latest research emphasizing the benefits of a diet full of fats (as long as there isn't a concomitant consumption of sugars), it seems like a no-brainer.  My only concerns are never being able to go out to eat or get a quick meal, and the initial transition from normal metabolism into ketosis.  I don't really have the available time to allow myself to get hypoglycemic and cranky while waiting for my body to take the hint.

Experiences?

I do "intermittent fasting" about 98% of days; there's the odd day I won't do it, but it's pretty rare.  Usually it's something around a 16:8 ratio of NOT EATING:EATING.  Especially good for us men, as it apparently increases testosterone and HGH and lowers insulin.  I also do some road running/races in the spring/summer/fall, and being nice and slim defnitely helps with speed.

I can't imagine going back to "normal" eating.
Look at the list of allowed foods and decide whether or not you can abide by it.  Lots of recipes out there.  You will have to do your own cooking, no canned anything.
I HATE avocados and cannot use any soy products so the diet can be rather boring for me.  If I could afford to eat a nice steak several days a week, then maybe it would be better.  I had the negative side effects usually mentions, especially headaches, stomach upset - basically like having the flu.
But if my issues are not issues for you, many, many reviews indicate that you could be successful. 
I have done the intermittent fasting for a very long time, and altho it is a good way for me to eat, it does nothing for my weight.  Everyone is different.
(03-01-2018, 10:15 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I've been considering it for a while now because I don't really see any downsides to it.  It's supposed to be an amazing protection against cancer (since cancer cells thrive off of readily available glucose from carbs as opposed to fats and proteins), and with the latest research emphasizing the benefits of a diet full of fats (as long as there isn't a concomitant consumption of sugars), it seems like a no-brainer.  My only concerns are never being able to go out to eat or get a quick meal, and the initial transition from normal metabolism into ketosis.  I don't really have the available time to allow myself to get hypoglycemic and cranky while waiting for my body to take the hint.

Experiences?

I have

It can be overdone

I would only do it for 2 or 3 days at the longest. But that is just me. I don't profess to be a certified nutritionist. If you are elderly, i wouldn't even do it 2 days but i doubt it would kill a person to do that.

Atkins says to do it for 2 weeks! If you are young, you probably can do that but those over say 55 should not IMO