Is donating to the Church immoral?
(03-05-2018, 04:27 AM)Poche Wrote: From the Baltimore Catechism;

Q. 1356. Are we obliged to contribute to the support of our pastors?
A. We are obliged to contribute to the support of our pastors, and to bear our share in the expense of the Church and school.

Q. 1357. Where did the duty of contributing to the support of the Church and clergy originate?
A. The duty of contributing to the support of the Church and clergy originated in the Old Law, when God commanded all the people to contribute to the support of the temple and of its priests.

Q. 1358. What does the obligation of supporting the Church and school imply?
A. The obligation of supporting the Church and school implies the duty of making use of the Church and school by attending religious worship in the one and by giving Catholic education in the other; because if the Church and school were not necessary for our spiritual welfare we would not be commanded to support them.

Q. 1359. Does the fifth commandment of the Church include the support only of our pastors and the Church and school?
A. The fifth commandment of the Church includes the support also of our holy father, the Pope, bishops, priests, missions, religious institutions and religion in general.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resou...the-church

So many strawmen in this thread. 

I do not think anyone is suggesting that one should not support any of the pastors within the Church, but that one should selectively support the pastors in the Church. 

To give a real life example:

1 My local SSPX priest sometimes takes as many as sixteen flights over seven countries in a month, in order to be able to reach as many Traditional Mass communities as often as possible. 

2. The Priest in my local diocese recently stated that it was not necessary for Protestants to come to Catholic churches, because they have their own churches. 

Is it really so insane, so evil, so non-Catholic to suggest that it this case, one is obligated to donate and to support 1. and not 2.? Have we now become Protestant caricatures of ourselves, mindlessly supporting evil leaders because "that's what I was told to do, and my job is to shut up and listen, no matter what my leaders do"?
(03-07-2018, 04:13 AM)Dave01 Wrote:

A. We are obliged to contribute to the support of our pastors, and to bear our share in the expense of the Church and school.

Q. 1357. Where did the duty of contributing to the support of the Church and clergy originate?
A. The duty of contributing to the support of the Church and clergy originated in the Old Law, when God commanded all the people to contribute to the support of the temple and of its priests.

A. The obligation of supporting the Church and school implies the duty of making use of the Church and school by attending religious worship in the one and by giving Catholic education in the other; because if the Church and school were not necessary for our spiritual welfare we would not be commanded to support them.

Q. 1359. Does the fifth commandment of the Church include the support only of our pastors and the Church and school?
A. The fifth commandment of the Church includes the support also of our holy father, the Pope, bishops, priests, missions, religious institutions and religion in general.

So many straw men in this thread. 

I do not think anyone is suggesting that one should not support any of the pastors within the Church, but that one should selectively support the pastors in the Church. 

1 My local SSPX priest sometimes takes as many as sixteen flights over seven countries in a month, in order to be able to reach as many Traditional Mass communities as often as possible. 

2. The Priest in my local diocese recently stated that it was not necessary for Protestants to come to Catholic churches, because they have their own churches. 

Is it really so insane, so evil, so non-Catholic to suggest that it this case, one is obligated to donate and to support 1. and not 2.? Have we now become Protestant caricatures of ourselves, mindlessly supporting evil leaders because "that's what I was told to do, and my job is to shut up and listen, no matter what my leaders do"?
Peace.....agree!  Let's be selective and not judgemental.  Being selective makes us more vigilant but also frugal.  God bless, angeltime

Support for the Church according to your means is one of the commandments of the Church. If you don't have any money or you have some other reason for not giving then at least you can give your support by your prayers.
(03-08-2018, 02:29 AM)Poche Wrote:

Support for the Church according to your means is one of the commandments of the Church. If you don't have any money or you have some other reason for not giving then at least you can give your support by your prayers.
Yes, prayers and volunteer apostolates/ministries...peace!   :heart:
If you are truly averse to supporting a parish etc. Then you could always donate to somewhere like Fisheaters.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dominicus's post:
  • jovan66102
(03-07-2018, 04:13 AM)Dave01 Wrote: So many strawmen in this thread. 
Poche seems to belong to the 'Pay, pray, and obey' school. :D
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(03-05-2018, 10:33 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Anyone who goes to a diocesan TLM and doesn't give money is doing a major disservice. If TLM Mass donations drop then you're putting the Mass in danger of being cut.
Peace.....I think it is a good idea too give to the TLM, and this will let the Bishops know where the $ is coming from - it is in the NO parishes that I think the collection has to be considered very carefully.  For the NO, I still agree with the plan to give to the special collections (that dont go to the diocese but only the parish) and avoid the regular collection.  ??  There is a race on now - they will revoke Charitable Tax #'s if parishes are not conforming to their "new modern" plans or we starve them.  This is what I see going on now.....angeltime :dodgy:
(03-08-2018, 05:02 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(03-07-2018, 04:13 AM)Dave01 Wrote: So many strawmen in this thread. 
Poche seems to belong to the 'Pay, pray, and obey' school. :D

I belong to the "Study Your Catechism" school.