Question about the Little Office of the BVM readings
(03-09-2018, 04:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 04:37 PM)Dominicus Wrote: In the litany of Loreto, Our Lady is referred to as "seat of Wisdom" because it is in her that the divine Wisdom, the Logos, made His home.

In the Akathist, She is referred to as 'Sheepfold of rational sheep'. I love that title!
I love it. I need to look into the akathist.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
Akathistos Hymn to the Theotokos
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(03-09-2018, 04:42 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 04:37 PM)Dominicus Wrote: In the litany of Loreto, Our Lady is referred to as "seat of Wisdom" because it is in her that the divine Wisdom, the Logos, made His home.

In the Akathist, She is referred to as 'Sheepfold of rational sheep'. I love that title!

There are so many profound titles in the Akathist; I like the juxtaposition of "Thou Who didst rend the webs of the Athenians" with "Thou Who didst fill the nets of the fishermen."

As to the OP, I think the reference to the Virgin is pretty straightforward in the context of the LOBVM, but I rarely think such imagery has to be univocal. In the context of the biblical material itself, it is probably in reference to God the Son, and is certainly used that way in the Byzantine lectionary. The correct answer is, as often in Christianity, "both." One can never separate the Blessed Virgin too far from the work of her Incarnate Son since she works in perfect concert with his Divine Will. My quote from the Akathist is a good example – in the Scriptures it is the Lord who filled the nets of the fishermen, but we certainly can attribute this to the Virgin as well, as she alone gave birth to God, and in a sense, gave birth to the apostles as well.

It's much like Genesis 3:15 – I think the textual evidence is pretty clear that it is the "seed" of the woman who crushes the head of the serpent, but of course it is also the woman who crushes the serpent's head. God the Son has conquered Satan through his Death and Resurrection, and we, too, are conquerors when we conform ourselves to the Divine Will, which the Mother of God accomplished perfectly.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes aquinas138's post:
  • jovan66102