Question About Lectio Divina
Could one use other writings that are no Scripture for Lectio Divina.

Could I use the spiritual writings of saints, like The Imitation of Christ of the Mystical City of God?
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
I don't see why not? The point of lectio divina is to prayerfully meditate on what you're reading. The 'Imitation', 'The Mystical City', or the writings of any of the great Spiritual Doctors would seem to fit the bill.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(03-07-2018, 04:24 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: Could one use other writings that are no Scripture for Lectio Divina.

Could I use the spiritual writings of saints, like The Imitation of Christ of the Mystical City of God?

You can, but it wouldn't necessarily be Lectio Divina, since it is meditation and study of Scriptures.
(03-07-2018, 04:24 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: Could one use other writings that are no Scripture for Lectio Divina.

Peace.....you can certainly meditate on other writings, however Lectio Divina means Divine Word - and is pertaining to the Word of God in Scriptures.  God bless, angeltime :heart:
I recommend using the readings of the mass of the day if possible.
(03-08-2018, 02:33 AM)Poche Wrote: I recommend using the readings of the mass of the day if possible.
Peace.....I started out that way and have continued ever since - I think reading the readings of the day keeps one in unity with the universal Church, but also the liturgical seasons.  (I realize the at this time the rest of the Church seems to have a completely different agenda, but one should strive to stay with the liturgical seasons and daily readings/saints/martyrs/fathers of the Church.  angeltime :heart: