What Protestant religion is most like Catholic?
Actually, from w hat i have read about the Muslim religion, they are in many ways "catholic sounding"

The problem is that things have been added to the Koran over the centuries and those later things are about as anti-Catholic as you can get.

And as one person who has studied the issue says, the later things take precedence over the previous stuff, if there is a contradiction

and boy, are there contradictions.

The Catholic Church does not contradict itself (referring to the official teachings, that is, not the way most Catholics live un-Catholic lives...)i.
(03-16-2018, 12:39 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: Actually, from w hat i have read about the Muslim religion, they are in many ways "catholic sounding"

The problem is that things have been added to the Koran over the centuries and those later things are about as anti-Catholic as you can get.

And as one person who has studied the issue says, the later things take precedence over the previous stuff, if there is a contradiction

and boy, are there contradictions.

The Catholic Church does not contradict itself (referring to the official teachings, that is, not the way most Catholics live un-Catholic lives...)i.

Islam has many apparent similarities to Catholicism because it began as a perverted offshoot of Christianity
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(03-09-2018, 11:06 AM)BC Wrote: I would have to say that those three infused Theological virtues would not be able to co-exist within a soul if that person continued to be a Muslim or Jew.

Father W has a teaching at Sensus Fidelium titled Conversion of Fr. Augustine Marie and tells of Fr. Augustine's mother (a Jew) being saved at the last moment via the BVM's intercession and Father's prayers. Check it out. Very edifying giving hope to all our "unsaved" relatives and friends. BTW, please pray for the conversion of a young Jewish man I've befriended at work....Ethan.
(03-15-2018, 03:56 PM)greatdame Wrote: Only the Lutherans also believe in the Real Presence. Anglicans, etc, believe it is a symbol, or a remembrance of a past event.  Some Lutherans from conservative Synods, such as Missouri, are doing Liturgies from Martin Luther's own time.  These still face the people with the Consecration, however, they are much closer to the Latin Mass than the Novus Ordo liturgy.  They include Chant.  Also, the hymns are old fashioned Christian, not Baptist, or Gaia inspired.  There is only a split hairs difference in Lutheran "Real Presence" and Catholic, and that is that Jesus Christ is "in, around, under and through" the species, which is classic Trent definition.  Luther liked to give definitions instead of words, because so many in his time were uneducated in the faith.  Lutheran's believe that the transformation takes place when the recipient receives the host (and wine), not at the words of consecration.  There really is some discussion among Lutherans about just what happens--transubstantiation is not necessarily ruled out.  They usually want to be distinguished from the TradCat view.  However, they really do not like a solid definition of it.  The Lutheran rite was never condemned by the Catholic Church like the Anglican was.  It just has never ruled on it.  Now even conservative Lutherans are teaching their flocks that one needs works as well as faith, for Luther said works without faith is dead. He just wanted to get it through stubborn German's workaholic brains (no offense to Germans intended--this is Luther speaking during his time) that Faith was a major factor for salvation.  Of course, there were many other problems with Martin Luther.  I am simply addressing the similarities with the Catholic.  Evangelical Lutherans are just as loony as Novus Ordo, and have essentially the same liturgy and the same tendencies towards Eastern meditation, the same liberalism. However, they too claim the Real Presence. Hope this helps.

informative. thanks