Book of Revelation
Peace.....I am wondering since I am having stirrings quite often to read and re-read the Book of Revelation, if anyone else has been reading it more often considering the current state of the Church. (?)  (It is becoming more like reading the newspaper of the day's events)
Thanks and God bless!  angeltime :incense:
I tend to read it less like a historical book more like poetry. I find that it has interesting relations to the Song of Songs.

I also like how it typifies the Mass. I recommend you read Scott Hahn's "The Lamb's Supper".
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
[-] The following 3 users Like Dominicus's post:
  • angeltime, Galahad3, sobercatholic
(03-07-2018, 11:20 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I tend to read it less like a historical book more like poetry. I find that it has interesting relations to the Song of Songs.

I also like how it typifies the Mass. I recommend you read Scott Hahn's "The Lamb's Supper".

Redpill me on Scott Hahn.  Are any of his books more hardcore academic, or are they generally meant for a broad audience + his own theological musings?  He seems pretty cool, but I really need something more substantial.
(03-07-2018, 11:22 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote:
(03-07-2018, 11:20 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I tend to read it less like a historical book more like poetry. I find that it has interesting relations to the Song of Songs.

Redpill me on Scott Hahn.  Are any of his books more hardcore academic, or are they generally meant for a broad audience + his own theological musings?  He seems pretty cool, but I really need something more substantial.

They aren't really theological but they are very scripture based and good from the apologetics side. Ive read three and they were pretty good as far as some light reading goes. He does like to point out things from uncommon angles but he seems pretty orthodox.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!

True. Years ago, I read a book by an Anglican seminary professor, Robert Farrar Capon, called 'The Supper of the Lamb'. It was a 'theological cookbook', in which he discussed the Apocalypse (to use its Traditional, Catholic name), and gave recipes as well. 

In it, he said that many people think it is a deeply mysterious book, full of murky prophecies. In reality, according to him, it is the oldest story in the book. Boy (Christ) meets girl (the Church), Boy loses girl, boy finds girl and takes her home to Dad.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover

Fantastic book!
Take a look at the following book, it is like a study of The Apocalypse of St John (Book of Revelation). It is probably available free online somewhere...

"The Apocalypse of St John" by Rev E Sylvester Berry. the book contains both an Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
(03-08-2018, 07:16 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: "The Apocalypse of St John" by Rev E Sylvester Berry. the book contains both an Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat

Yes, here or here.

There's also The Book of Destiny: An Open Statement of the Authentic and Inspired Prophesies of the New and Old Testament (1956) by Fr. Herman Kramer, the product of decades of research and more in-depth than Fr. Berry's.
(03-07-2018, 10:03 PM)angeltime Wrote: been reading it more often considering the current state of the Church. (?)

Yes, Apocalypse 12 seems to refer to an extended interregnum.
(03-07-2018, 10:03 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....I am wondering since I am having stirrings quite often to read and re-read the Book of Revelation, if anyone else has been reading it more often considering the current state of the Church. (?)  (It is becoming more like reading the newspaper of the day's events)
Thanks and God bless!  angeltime :incense:

"Now when the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea. They went up on the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them."  Revelation 20:7-9

I think we may be living in the times described above.  "Gog and Magog" may be the twin demonic forces of Islam and atheism; "the camp of the saints" may be Christianity and "the holy city" may be Jerusalem.

But what would I know?
[-] The following 1 user Likes AnthonyB's post:
  • angeltime