My wife’s cruel
For my birthday she bought me a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask Scotch. My favorite. She forgot I gave up hard liquor for Lent.

That ain’t right...
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 5 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • aquinas138, Becky, dallas_r, jovan66102, Sacred Heart lover
But think of the joy of Easter!  Big Grin
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • Becky, CaptCrunch73
Maybe she's cruel, or maybe she's doing it for the good of your soul. Spouses are supposed to help each other on their lifetime of conversion, and maybe she thought you needed the extra penance Sticking tongue out at you

FWIW, in my pregnant state I sympathize with your thirst.

May your scotch be exquisitely satisfying come Easter!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • jovan66102
Well I gave up coffee for lent, and my wife has coffee every morning. I have to smell the aroma. So I feel your pain. I am also in charge of making the coffee at the weekly lenten fish fry. I have to get a taste tester. I look it as strengthening my resolve, and good for my soul.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
I love Laphroaig! I also gave up drinking for Lent, and my wife also keeps forgetting. We were walking downtown last Saturday near a pub we like, and she asked if we should pop in for a beer. I just stared at her til she realized.
I don't really think she's mean, I love her dearly, and am considering this a test of my resolve.

(03-09-2018, 11:39 AM)Galahad3 Wrote: I love Laphroaig! I also gave up drinking for Lent, and my wife also keeps forgetting. We were walking downtown last Saturday near a pub we like, and she asked if we should pop in for a beer. I just stared at her til she realized.

You too? My mother in law comes to visit and babysit so my good half and I can get out for an hour or so alone, and the first suggestion from my wife is "Let's go get drinks."

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Big Grin  Are you sure it isn't your sense of humor rubbing off on her?

Honestly, I think it's a fantastic penance.  Go with it!  In fact, open that bottle, give it a good sniff, and then close it and sip some water.
My ipad keyboard hates me.  Please forgive the typos; they are unintentional.
(03-09-2018, 02:24 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Big Grin  Are you sure it isn't your sense of humor rubbing off on her?

Honestly, I think it's a fantastic penance.  Go with it!  In fact, open that bottle, give it a good sniff, and then close it and sip some water.

LOL What an excellent idea!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Not even on a Sunday? Oh, that is hard.
(03-09-2018, 02:24 PM)Fontevrault Wrote: Big Grin  Are you sure it isn't your sense of humor rubbing off on her?

She doesn't do it as often as I do, but when she plays a joke on you, it's generally good. That reminds me, she gave up chocolate for Lent. Would it be wrong of me to bake a Black Forest cake, devil's food cake, tiramisu, and sachertorte all in the same day? Big Grin

Quote:Honestly, I think it's a fantastic penance.  Go with it!  In fact, open that bottle, give it a good sniff, and then close it and sip some water.

I did go with it. I told her I was thrilled by her gift, reminded her of my Lenten penance, then put it in the booze cabinet, and cracked it open today. Oh. My. Gosh. It was pure peat smoked goodness. *drools*