Impulse GP
Anyone play this, esp. using Amazon Firestick? If so, can anyone inform as to the way to mastery? What are the blue patches (not the green ones) for exactly? What, if anything, should be done with them? How does smashing into other bikers affect one's score?

Thanking you in advance,
A new addict
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
I haven't played this, but after watching a video of it, I feel like it could make my eyes bleed.
(03-11-2018, 10:18 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I haven't played this, but after watching a video of it, I feel like it could make my eyes bleed.

I suck at games like that, and never played them -- before this. My 5-yr old grandson got me hooked. Help me.

It's weird how deeply a person can get into those things... man! You can "feel it" -- the speed, the turns, the crashes -- in your very body, but you're controlling the game using only two fingers (say what?) (well, at least I am, using Firestick and not a game controller thingamajig). It's very visceral, and really fun and aggravating. No wonder so many young guys are hooked on stuff like this. It's like crack.
(03-12-2018, 03:32 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 10:18 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: I haven't played this, but after watching a video of it, I feel like it could make my eyes bleed.

I suck at games like that, and never played them -- before this. My 5-yr old grandson got me hooked. Help me.

It's weird how deeply a person can get into those things... man! You can "feel it" -- the speed, the turns, the crashes -- in your very body, but you're controlling the game using only two fingers (say what?) (well, at least I am, using Firestick and not a game controller thingamajig). It's very visceral, and really fun and aggravating. No wonder so many young guys are hooked on stuff like this. It's like crack.

Well as far as the blue spaces are concerned, this is what I was able to learn

Quote:Each track has a bunch of sections that are painted green, and when your bike races over them you can hold the “Impulse” button to charge up a boost. If you hold it too early or for too long the boost will be cancelled, but if you do it for the exact length of the green strip you’ll get a considerable leap forward in speed. It’s a really cool mechanic that really keeps you on your toes, since it almost feels like you’re playing a completely different mini-game while racing at the same time. There are also blue boost pads that are a bit more traditional, as you just have to race over one to save it and then trigger it whenever you want.

I don't think crashing into other bikes matters... but I could be wrong...

The main thing that turns me off from phone games is that the dopamine feedback loops are a bit too in your face, and they're always trying to tempt you to pay for their little upgrades and stuff.  But that's basically what arcades were 30 years ago, so what do I know.  When not swamped in the past few months I played Mario and Zelda on the Nintendo Switch.  

NOT TO FEED YOUR ADDICTION, but if you ever want a change of pace, I've heard great things about this phone game: http://www.nekoatsume.com/en/
(03-12-2018, 05:10 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Each track has a bunch of sections that are painted green, and when your bike races over them you can hold the “Impulse” button to charge up a boost. If you hold it too early or for too long the boost will be cancelled, but if you do it for the exact length of the green strip you’ll get a considerable leap forward in speed. It’s a really cool mechanic that really keeps you on your toes, since it almost feels like you’re playing a completely different mini-game while racing at the same time. There are also blue boost pads that are a bit more traditional, as you just have to race over one to save it and then trigger it whenever you want.

I don't think crashing into other bikes matters... but I could be wrong...

"Trigger it whenever you want" -- I have no clue what that means! I MUST find out!

I haven't gotten past 6th place on the first track. My FIVE-YEAR OLD grandson, though, has unlocked the third track level. 

Quote:The main thing that turns me off from phone games is that the dopamine feedback loops are a bit too in your face, and they're always trying to tempt you to pay for their little upgrades and stuff.  But that's basically what arcades were 30 years ago, so what do I know.  When not swamped in the past few months I played Mario and Zelda on the Nintendo Switch.  

I don't have one of those new-school phones (I have an old landline LOL), and am playing this with an Amazon Firestick. I'm guessing the dopamine hits are pretty much the same thing, though. Seriously, going over those green patches and getting those speed boosts feels danged good!

Quote:NOT TO FEED YOUR ADDICTION, but if you ever want a change of pace, I've heard great things about this phone game: http://www.nekoatsume.com/en/

"NOT TO FEED YOUR ADDICTION" -- chyeah! Thanks, pal. Too late!

-- but alas, that one is for a phone... It looks like me, though (and my brother's house; he's got a lot of cats!). I think I need to get a phone somehow...
OK, so it turns out I had NO IDEA what a Firestick was.  I thought it was a phone accessory... that explains so much...