Top bottled water brands contaminated with plastic particles: report
Well, this is just lovely. I am glad I very rarely dring commercially bottled water. I drink from a stainless steel jug and water from my spring aquifer well.

You may think you're drinking a bottle of 'pure' and 'unadulterated' water, and then along comes this study:

Quote:Link to Original Article

Top bottled water brands contaminated with plastic particles: report
Kerry SHERIDAN

[Image: Part-GTY-843059522-1-1-1.jpg]

Plastic was identified in 93 percent of the samples included in the study, which included major name brands such as Aqua, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, Nestle Pure Life and San Pellegrino (AFP Photo/Brian Blanco)

Miami (AFP) - The world's leading brands of bottled water are contaminated with tiny plastic particles that are likely seeping in during the packaging process, according to a major study across nine countries published Wednesday.

"Widespread contamination" with plastic was found in the study, led by microplastic researcher Sherri Mason of the State University of New York at Fredonia, according to a summary released by Orb Media, a US-based non-profit media collective.

Researchers tested 250 bottles of water in Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Thailand, and the United States.

Plastic was identified in 93 percent of the samples, which included major name brands such as Aqua, Aquafina, Dasani, Evian, Nestle Pure Life and San Pellegrino.

The plastic debris included polypropylene, nylon, and polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which is used to make bottle caps.

"In this study, 65 percent of the particles we found were actually fragments and not fibers," Mason told AFP.

"I think it is coming through the process of bottling the water. I think that most of the plastic that we are seeing is coming from the bottle itself, it is coming from the cap, it is coming from the industrial process of bottling the water."

Particle concentration ranged from "zero to more than 10,000 likely plastic particles in a single bottle," said the report.

On average, plastic particles in the 100 micron (0.10 millimeter) size range -- considered "microplastics," -- were found at an average rate of 10.4 plastic particles per liter.

Even smaller particles were more common -- averaging about 325 per liter.

Other brands that were found to contain plastic contaminated included Bisleri, Epura, Gerolsteiner, Minalba and Wahaha.

Experts cautioned that the extent of the risk to human health posed by such contamination remains unclear.

"There are connections to increases in certain kinds of cancer to lower sperm count to increases in conditions like ADHD and autism," said Mason.

"We know that they are connected to these synthetic chemicals in the environment and we know that plastics are providing kind of a means to get those chemicals into our bodies."

- Time to ditch plastic? -

Previous research by Orb Media has found plastic particles in tap water, too, but on a smaller scale.

"Tap water, by and large, is much safer than bottled water," said Mason.

The three-month study used a technique developed by the University of East Anglia's School of Chemistry to "see" microplastic particles by staining them using fluorescent Nile Red dye, which makes plastic fluorescent when irradiated with blue light.

"We have been involved with independently reviewing the findings and methodology to ensure the study is robust and credible," said lead researcher Andrew Mayes, from UEA's School of Chemistry.

"The results stack up."

Jacqueline Savitz, chief policy officer for North America at Oceana, a marine advocacy group that was not involved in the research, said the study provides more evidence that society must abandon the ubiquitous use of plastic water bottles.

"We know plastics are building-up in marine animals, and this means we too are being exposed, some of us, every day," she said.

"It's more urgent now than ever before to make plastic water bottles a thing of the past."
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
Doesn't plastic make you more estrogen-y like soy and stuff too?
They have no idea whether this has any effect on human health, but they want to ban it. Typical.

And they completely overlook the fact that bottled water is full of the deadly chemical dihydrogen monoxide, to focus on tiny pieces of plastic that you can't even see.
(03-17-2018, 01:47 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Doesn't plastic make you more estrogen-y like soy and stuff too?

Well, ya. You can't even see it but [url=[/url]](Article here)  there are thousands of chemicals in plastic bottles. Some are known cancer enablers and hormone mimickers.
[url=http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/01/13/more-than-24500-chemicals-found-in-bottled-water.html][/url]
Quote:The study was broken into two parts. For the initial portion, the researchers tested 18 samples of various commercially sold water bottles from around the globe. Through chemical analyses, they tested the water to determine if it interfered with the body's estrogen and androgen receptors. Tap water was tested as well, for comparison. The researchers were shocked to learn that most of the bottled waters revealed interference with both kinds of hormone receptors; amounts as little as 0.1 ounces inhibited estrogenic activity by 60 percent and androgenic activity by 90 percent. The tap water, on the other hand, showed no activity on either form of receptor.

During the second part of the study, the scientists sought to pinpoint which chemicals were the cause of reproductive hormonal interferences. Using other forms of detection to isolate the various chemicals, the researchers found more than 24,500 different chemicals in the bottled waters – including two classes of chemicals, maleates and fumarates, which are known potent endocrine disruptors (hormonally active chemicals). Maleates and fumarates are utilized to manufacture plastic resins, which are used to make water bottles, and they may also appear as contaminants of other plastic chemicals.

Despite these alarming results, you don’t have to fear for your life, if you have been toting bottled waters around for years. Good hydration is important, and sometimes, there aren’t other options.  As a healthy adult, the occasional sip from the “toxic fountain” of bottled water won’t kill you. However, small children, women of child-bearing age, and pregnant women are at greater risk of poor outcomes when exposed to these chemicals. Effects can include stunted growth, early puberty, premature birth, infertility and early menopause – just to name a few. The remaining population should still exercise caution, as more and more research is discovering that these chemical can also trigger diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancer.

(03-18-2018, 07:55 PM)Paul Wrote: They have no idea whether this has any effect on human health, but they want to ban it. Typical.

And they completely overlook the fact that bottled water is full of the deadly chemical dihydrogen monoxide, to focus on tiny pieces of plastic that you can't even see.

"They" apparently do have some data that indicates chemicals in plastics, possibly those plastics found in small particles in water and consumed by people without their knowledge, well, do you really think that just because the particles are smaller than what one may visualize, that that makes them somehow, less potentially hazardous?

The article was focusing on the particulate plastics in water. The chemicals are well covered in many article. It is why I have long opted to use a stainless steel bottle and water from my well. Eating plastic does not seem like a good idea in any concentration or size.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
(03-18-2018, 08:56 PM)Zedta Wrote: "They" apparently do have some data that indicates chemicals in plastics, possibly those plastics found in small particles in water and consumed by people without their knowledge, well, do you really think that just because the particles are smaller than what one may visualize, that that makes them somehow, less potentially hazardous?

The article was focusing on the particulate plastics in water. The chemicals are well covered in many article. It is why I have long opted to use a stainless steel bottle and water from my well. Eating plastic does not seem like a good idea in any concentration or size.

Yes, smaller particles may be less hazardous, especially if they pass through the body. Nothing we eat is 100% free of any sort of impurities. Maybe this is a problem, maybe it's not, and it deserves to be studied, but there are also plenty of studies confirming global warming, too. They may have "some data", but that's no reason to start banning things.
(03-19-2018, 04:54 PM)Paul Wrote: Yes, smaller particles may be less hazardous, especially if they pass through the body. Nothing we eat is 100% free of any sort of impurities. Maybe this is a problem, maybe it's not, and it deserves to be studied, but there are also plenty of studies confirming global warming, too. They may have "some data", but that's no reason to start banning things.

So, let me get this straight:

Quote:Yes, smaller particles may be less hazardous, especially if they pass through the body.

"may be less hazardous" and "if they pass" are situations your okay with, when you also observe that:

Quote:Nothing we eat is 100% free of any sort of impurities.

So, then, why not just be honky dory with a few more foreign objects floating around in our GI tracts? That's you take on this? If we got all these things in our food and environment, some quite toxic, some unknown, but and then, the likely toxic plastics, which are dense hydrocarbons that are not generally healthy to have floating around in your GI tract and possibly, then, if small enough, passing into your blood stream. So, your take is generally, hey what the heck, what's a few more toxins?

Not in MY water, thank you very much!
Art Bell

J Edgar Hoover

Jessie Ventura

Mark Twain

Mark Twain
I cringe at the overuse of plastic water bottles.

People survived in the 80s and before without them.

We need to go back to using more permanent drinking vessels.
Yet another reason I refuse to buy bottled water.  For drinking, I have a couple stainless bottles and couple Nalgene bottles.  Yeah, I know Nalgene is plastic, but it seems like the plastics in this article are a by-product that could be largely eliminated through an extra wash cycle.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden