Pastor of St. John Cantius removed after allegations of misconduct
Specious accusations have and are derailing faithful clergy. It is a way of attack.  When that man became archbishop in Chicago, it was only a matter of time before the faithful would know his wrath against them.

Think of all the lies and calumny against the Franciscans of the Immaculate, none of which have been found to be true but the Institute is decimated in any case.  St. John Cantius is a world famous faithful parish and those are not wanted by the modernist regimes.  Holiness is not wanted.
Ave Maria!
[-] The following 2 users Like Magdalene's post:
  • Eric F, GrottoAl
(03-20-2018, 12:31 PM)Magdalene Wrote: Specious accusations have and are derailing faithful clergy. It is a way of attack.  When that man became archbishop in Chicago, it was only a matter of time before the faithful would know his wrath against them.

Think of all the lies and calumny against the Franciscans of the Immaculate, none of which have been found to be true but the Institute is decimated in any case.  St. John Cantius is a world famous faithful parish and those are not wanted by the modernist regimes.  Holiness is not wanted.
Pax!  yes, it is so true and so sad.....to think after thousands of years, this can get in and ruin so much!  God bless, and let's continue to PRAY.  If we ever get it all back, we will never be this unvigilant again..... angeltime :heart: :pray2: :pray:
I do not know anything about this priest or situation, but the comments below highlight the irony of the situation well.

Either way, I will offer my prayers for him.  He must be suffering terribly to have his reputation besmirched, whether he actually engaged in any misconduct or not.  If he did, then I would imagine  he is sorry and embarrassed for his sin and has asked forgiveness for it.  One of the forgotten sins of this age is sins of the tongue involving detraction (the unnecessary revealing of another's sins), gossip, and slander.

Interestingly, there have been Catholic Saints over the years who have been accused of sexual misconduct. Joseph of the Old Testament was accused falsely. St. Gerard Majella is the patron saint of those falsely accused and victims of slander:

--------

In this mini-series on what we can learn from saints to respond in a holy way to the sexual abuse crisis, it's important for us to tackle the question of how to respond to false allegations. It is obviously something of enormous relevance to priests who have been untruthfully accused. It is also useful for all priests and seminarians who humanly cannot but think about it and who often alter their behavior to minimize the possibility of false accusations ever being considered credible. Lastly it's important for all those who care about priests who have been or may be unjustly accused.

The practical wisdom of the saints with regard to false accusations falls into two complementary camps. The first camp is illustrated by the example of St. Gerard Majella and St. Vincent de Paul.

In 1754, a young woman named Neria Caggiano accused St. Gerard, a 28 year-old Redemptorist brother, of lecherous conduct. She had been dismissed from a convent and was seeking revenge on the one who had recommended her there. St. Alphonsus Ligouri, the founder of the Redemptorists, called St. Gerard in to answer the accusation. Rather than defending himself, Br. Gerard remained silent, not seeking to do any damage to his accuser's reputation. The superior thought he had no choice but to discipline him severely: he forbade him from all contact not to mention pastoral work with outsiders and even denied him the privilege of receiving holy Communion. These were excruciating penalties for Br. Gerard, which he offered up for his accuser's conversion and salvation. He simply said, "There is a God in Heaven. He will provide." Several months later, Neria became dangerously ill, and thinking that she might die, realized she could not go to her particular judgment with such a calumny on her conscience. She wrote a letter to St. Alphonsus confessing that she invented the charges. The founder, overjoyed at the innocence of his spiritual son, fully restored him, but St. Gerard's example of trust in God even in the midst of terrible accusations and penances quickly became a model not only for his religious family but for the whole Church: he is now the patron saint of those falsely accused.

The story of St. Vincent de Paul is equally as powerful. As a young priest in Paris, the judge at whose home he was boarding found that a large sum of money was missing and accused Fr. Vincent of having stolen it. He calmly insisted that he hadn't taken the money, but he wasn't able to prove his innocence any more than prosecutors could prove his guilt. Nevertheless, most people — including those who had been his friends — thought that he had committed the crime. Fr. Vincent kept saying, "God knows the truth." Finally, six years later, the thief who had robbed the safe was arrested for another burglary and, wanting to clear his conscience, confessed to the crime of which Fr. Vincent had been unjustly accused. Fr. Vincent was exonerated, to the great edification of Paris society.

What unites them — and several other similar examples from hagiographical annals — is a deep trust in God in the midst of false accusations. St. Josemaria Escriva once prayed aloud, in the midst of suffering calumny, "Lord, if you don't need my good name, what should I want it for?" Like Christ, they bore the unjust accusations with confidence that the truth would come out in this world or in the next and, until it did, they offered their sufferings for their accusers.

The second and complementary camp we see in the life of St. John Vianney. He was accused, among other types of debauchery, of impregnating a young woman who lived near the Church in Ars. His instinctive response was to forgive and pray for his accusers as well as for the young woman. But he also came to recognize that it was not merely his own reputation that was suffering because of the calumnies, but also the reputation of the priesthood. For that reason, he undertook a defense, lest by failing to do so, he would give any plausibility to the vile rumors. The truth eventually came out. His serenity in the midst of the false and confidence that the truth would emerge, however, were lessons his parishioners never forgot.

Saints are distinguished by their heroic virtue — and responding to false accusations as the saints above did is clearly heroic. It is totally understandable that those who have been falsely accused may undertake a vigorous defense of their reputation, as some like Cardinal Joseph Bernardin of Chicago or Cardinal George Pell of Sydney have, so as not only to clear their name and remove the stigma from the priesthood and their entire ministry, but also to dissuade others from making similar false accusations in the future. But whatever one's external strategy is, the interior strategy of total confidence in God in union with Christ in the midst of calumny is the type of heroism to which God calls all his priests.

Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, "Blessed are you when they revile you and utter every kind of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven" (Mt 5:11-12). Among the greatest in heaven will be those who have suffered false accusations, in union with the Lord Jesus, who was — we should never forget — killed through false accusations, but rose triumphant on the third day.

https://www.catholicity.com/commentary/l...00865.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes BC's post:
  • formerbuddhist
Peace.....I found your information most interesting and informative!  I have read about those Saints, but don't recall any of these trials they endured - false accusations.  
I will share with you that there was a high school teacher in my area who had 2 teen girls aged 15 yrs accuse him of sexual assault and he was dismissed from teaching.  This was so difficult for his wife that it led to divorce and selling the assets including the home to be split.  Several years later, the girls admitted they invented the story and because they were minors, nothing could be done - not even mischief for a juvenile.  
I have also read in the past, where innocent people went to the electric chair, or were hung and only until we started having the dna results, has this improved.  Their innocence came out when others finally came forward with the truth.  
So, it is a very hard call to endure and does take heroic virtue and prayer!  God bless & Tks! angeltime :heart:
(03-20-2018, 04:12 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....I found your information most interesting and informative!  I have read about those Saints, but don't recall any of these trials they endured - false accusations.  
I will share with you that there was a high school teacher in my area who had 2 teen girls aged 15 yrs accuse him of sexual assault and he was dismissed from teaching.  This was so difficult for his wife that it led to divorce and selling the assets including the home to be split.  Several years later, the girls admitted they invented the story and because they were minors, nothing could be done - not even mischief for a juvenile.  
I have also read in the past, where innocent people went to the electric chair, or were hung and only until we started having the dna results, has this improved.  Their innocence came out when others finally came forward with the truth.  
So, it is a very hard call to endure and does take heroic virtue and prayer!  God bless & Tks! angeltime :heart:

This kind of stuff happens more than people realize. 

In the undiscerning public's eye, to be accused automatically means guilty.  The real victim's life is destroyed beyond repair in the mean time.  

That is why Due Process is such an important principle, and why the media is often reckless by repeating unsubstantiated allegations.  In the age of twitter and other social media, those who would make allegations do so mostly with impunity.
It certainly would appear that based on the information in this article https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/arti...ccusations that Father Phillips is denying the charges made against him.
Peace.....yes, and I have seen an increase in people not volunteering for jobs at the Church and I think they are avoiding connection with "false accusation" and trouble in general.  There is a requirement now that one has to complete a Police Check to apply for a simple volunteer job in the Parish.  Well, this check is only good until it is printed at the Police Station because the individual could potentially leave right then and commit a crime, so a Policeman (in the family) told me the check has to be re-done every 6 months to be as accurate as possible.  Along with that, if there was a false accusation, who would be there to support you?  Everybody runs from the scandal and circumstance - it becomes the Burden of Proof.  I know we can't just sit and do nothing or walk on eggs, but it is a very serious reality!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
                                                    Interesting article on the whole accusation process involving priests http://www.hprweb.com/2015/01/accusation...t-priests/
Bishop Rene Henry Gracida's comments on this incident. https://abyssum.org/2018/03/20/i-had-a-g...ast-night/

From the link

Cardinal Cupich acquired a reputation in his former office as Bishop of Spokane as being totally opposed to the celebration of the Traditional Latin Mass in the Diocese.  That fact combined with his welcoming of Father James Martin, S.J. to the Cathedral in Chicago to speak in support of the homosexual lifestyle that he promotes in his book Building Bridges, a lifestyle that sometimes involves the sin of sodomy, causes me to wonder if the removal of Father Phillips is not part of an elaborate plot leading to the suppression of Saint John Cantius Parish as a center for the promotion of the Traditional Latin Mass.  The hypocrisy of removing Father Phillips as Pastor based on a possible false accusation of homosexuality on the eve of Father Martins talk at the Cathedral promoting ‘respect’ for homosexuals  is too much for people of common sense to accept and to wonder about hypocrisy.
A little bit of an update https://www.gofundme.com/legal-defense-f...r-phillips. It appears Father Phillips requires a massive amount of money just to defend himself.