Arius
50 Years?  It depends upon how one slices time spans if Arianism lasted 60 or 340 years. 

Our Sunday Visitor’s Encyclopedia of Catholic History, 2004 (OSV/ECH) pgs. 95-96:  Arius was excommunicated in 320 AD.  A number of Councils occurred, some supporting the Catholic and some the Arian positions.  Nicea was in 325 AD.  In 359 AD Arius won at the Councils of Seleucia & Ariminium, causing St. Jerome to remark it made the “world groan and wonder to find itself Arian”.  Its “final” defeat: was at the Council of Constantinople in 381 AD.  So 381-320=60 years. 

However:  “The heresy did not die out for several centuries, finding fertile ground among the Germanic tribes.  St. Ulfilas, for example, preached Arianism to the Goths.  He was sent by Eusebius as a missionary in 341 AD.  The Goths brought Arianism to the Roman Empire in the 5th Century.  “The Vandals often persecuted Catholics in North Africa and Spain.”  Clovis in 496 converted to Catholic and brought the Franks with him.  “Arianism, for all practical purposes, died out in the 6th Century.

Church History by Fr. John Laux, M.A. begins the story of Arianism with its forerunners.  St. Dionysius, Bishop of Alexandria wrote in 260 AD that the Son ‘was made by God.”  This made the Son less than the Father. His namesake Pope Dionysius corrected him and the saint yielded to the Pope.  (pgs. 104-105).
St Gregory of Nyssa, was called the “Star of Nyssa”. (p. 125).  He died in 395 AD and with him, “the story of the Arian controversy is closed”.  So we have 260-395= 135 years of controversy.  The Second General Council made it official.
But:  with the “Germanic tribes…it will reappear on German soil.”  So you get the extension into the sixth century.  This puts the controversy as continuing for 240+ years.

Christ the King, Lord of History, by Anne W. Carroll:  p 129.  There was a lot of intrigue and violence between Arians and Catholics in France and Spain.  Then Clovis converted in 496 AD taking the Franks with him.  France was now Catholic.  Then St. Leander converted Reccared to the Catholic Faith from Arianism.  He addressed the Third Council of Toledo in 589 and Arianism was condemned and the Nicene Creed adopted.   “Spain was Catholic and would remain so.”  589-260=329 years.

So depending upon how the historian chooses his multitudinous facts to illustrate his point of view, we have a span time of 60 years of Arianism to 329 years of Arianism.  The solution to this discrepancy is that the Councils of Nicaea and Constantinople were ecumenical councils.  Ecumenical means Christian Church unity (Encarta).  Christian in Tradition means Catholic.  False ecumenism means a certain unity with all denominations of Christian, which is false because there can be no unity with heretics as they are not considered by the Traditional Church to be Christian.  Which is small wonder when all of them do not believe that the sacrifice of Christ is made present during Holy Mass, in direct disobedience to Jesus Christ, (who said it was, and instituted Holy Eucharist for all time); and most denominations deny most of the Sacraments.  So by 381 AD the whole Catholic Church officially and dogmatically proclaimed Arianism a heresy, so the doctrinal controversy lasted 56 years.  However, on the practical side, Arianism was not eradicated in Catholic territory until Spain was converted in 589 AD, confirmed by a general Council, so the entire Arian heresy was not officially driven from Catholic soil for 329 years, until 589 AD when the Nicene Creed was ordered said at all Masses in Spain.

History is very alive.  There are lots of strong personalities and saints that surfaced during this crisis and it is worth reading about. Anne Carroll’s book is truly “A Catholic World History” and is recommended by Dr. Marian Horvat of Tradition in Action site.  She is proficient in mediaeval history.  It is very encouraging to read all of the marvelous things the Catholic world gave Western culture to be found on her site.
Also, the book Bearing False Witness by Rodney Stark presents a good defense for the Catholic Faith against the Black Legends.

Now, I have a question.  How did an Arian heretic by the name of Ulfilas, become a saint?
I would say it's a mistake on the part of an ignorant or stupid editor &/or proofreader.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Then there is Sr. Faustina.
(03-22-2018, 11:48 PM)greatdame Wrote: Then there is Sr. Faustina.

What about Saint Faustina?
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(03-22-2018, 12:56 AM)greatdame Wrote: Now, I have a question.  How did an Arian heretic by the name of Ulfilas, become a saint?

Maybe there was more to Ulfilas than meets the eye. A lot can be forgotten after over 1000 years.
(03-22-2018, 01:00 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I would say it's a mistake on the part of an ignorant or stupid editor &/or proofreader.

St Faustina was not an Arian.
(03-23-2018, 06:12 AM)Poche Wrote: St Faustina was not an Arian.
Poche, you need to learn to read. I never mentioned St Faustina.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(03-23-2018, 06:07 AM)Poche Wrote: Maybe there was more to Ulfilas than meets the eye. A lot can be forgotten after over 1000 years.
Poche, you need to learn how to read. The original article specifically said, 'St. Ulfilas, for example, preached Arianism to the Goths'.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

I don't know anything about Ulfilas's Arianism, nor did I know he was a saint but I do know that he is responsible for translating the Bible into Gothic and preaching to the Goths.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(03-23-2018, 01:51 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I don't know anything about Ulfilas's Arianism, nor did I know he was a saint but I do know that he is responsible for translating the Bible into Gothic and preaching to the Goths.
Ulfilas is not a saint. He was instrumental in converting the Goths from paganism to Arian 'Christianity'. Interestingly, he wasn't a Goth himself. He was a Greek who, along with his parents, was a slave of the Goths. He invented the Gothic alphabet in order to translate Holy Scripture into Gothic, but he left out the Books of Kings, because he was concerned that the war narratives in them would encourage the Goths to be even more warlike than they already were.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Dominicus