Has Anyone Ever Attended a Ignatian Retreat?
I have been contemplating going on a five day retreat in the near future, and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever attended one.  

What was the experience like?
Would you recommend this to others?
Did it help you get your life in order? (mine is currently a mess :s )
Did it help you better yourself, and make you more virtuous?
Yes!

I've attended three that were silent and based on the format, but much shorter than the month-long official version.

It absolutely shifted me into focus on what's really important here.

I would never go on any other kind of retreat again.

Would go annually if only I could.
(03-22-2018, 10:01 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: I have been contemplating going on a five day retreat in the near future, and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever attended one.  

What was the experience like?
Would you recommend this to others?
Did it help you get your life in order? (mine is currently a mess :s )
Did it help you better yourself, and make you more virtuous?
Pax et Bonum!  Yes, I did many years ago - the 30 day silent retreat with a director and then years later a shorter version.  Both were very good however I think it is important to have a good Jesuit director if possible or at least someone who has been trained well in the Ignatian spirituality.  There are also good books about it and even a retreat plan you can have at home privately if you can get the quiet days and space!  I will say a prayer for you to connect personally with the right situation.  We all have to work at getting our life in order and keeping it that way - it is a day to day grind at times.  Keeping in mind and then living the holy virtues will help you grow.   God bless, angeltime :heart:
Can anyone fill me in on what this is and what it entails?
(03-22-2018, 11:45 AM)havok579257 Wrote: Can anyone fill me in on what this is and what it entails?

If you read the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius you can get an idea of what it's about.

The retreats follow the meditations within the exercises.

So you may have a talk on Hell.  Then you spend time in silence while going for a walk or going before the Blessed Sacrament and meditating on the talk and how it applies to your life.  I mean you are literally spending a couple hours thinking about nothing other than Hell!  It really makes one confront it fully.

Then, perhaps a talk on Purgatory, and different vices etc.

You spend the whole time in silence including meal times where someone will read aloud from the Catechism or another spiritual book.  So you get a little taste of the monastic life.

You also perform a general confession going over all the major sins of your whole life.  Very scary at first, but definitely worth it!

You aren't distracted by chit-chat and whatnot, so you literally spend the entire time communing with Jesus and meditating on how your life has missed the mark, where you are going and how to get back on track.
[attachment=182 Wrote:havok579257 pid='1367544' dateline='1521733531']
.pdf   se-mullan.pdfignatianexercises.pdf (Size: 240.08 KB / Downloads: 3) Can anyone fill me in on what this is and what it entails?

Pax et Bonum!  In short, the Ignatian Exercises help to purify your soul and lifestyle, increasing in virtue however also (which is very important) how to discern spirits which brings you more awareness/vigilant and prevents you from entering into temptation or falling back. There was a lot of emphasis on the 2 Kingdoms for me - Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Evil.  There is a lot of info on websites under Ignatian Exercises.  I have attached some information which may be of interest.....
God bless, angeltime :heart:
If I did one of these, I would probably go to one of the SSPX retreat houses (this thread will not degenerate into "But the SSPX is in SCHISM!!!" nor "The SSPX are the only FAITHFUL CATHOLICS!!!!").

I was doing research on them online.  Is there this sort of "come down" after the retreat? Is it hard to re-orient yourself once it is done?
Is this a single over night thing or more? How long does one stay there?
(03-22-2018, 12:55 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: If I did one of these, I would probably go to one of the SSPX retreat houses (this thread will not degenerate into "But the SSPX is in SCHISM!!!" nor "The SSPX are the only FAITHFUL CATHOLICS!!!!").

I was doing research on them online.  Is there this sort of "come down" after the retreat? Is it hard to re-orient yourself once it is done?

Peace.....yes, it's like Jesus who went to the desert to pray, but he always had to return to Nazareth!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(03-22-2018, 01:01 PM)havok579257 Wrote: Is this a single  over night thing or more?  How long does one stay there?
Peace.....no it is not a single night event!!  It takes time to review it carefully and time for meditation also.  When starting a retreat, it takes a day or so just to unwind from the busy lifestyle we live and then we start getting focused more into the retreat experience.  (this isnt like going to the gym-haha!!)  God bless, angeltime :heart: *Read the attachment i left a few posts back.....