Obedience to the local bishop.
This, for me, is one of the most frustrating aspects of the Church today.

I think obedience to the authority of a bishop is one of the greatest signs of humility, and conformity of one's will to the Church.  

That is: under normal circumstances.

The Church is in an abnormal time, and obedience to the local bishop sometimes feels like gambling with your soul.  I'm not at all impressed with partial obedience -- that's not really obedience at all.

What a blessing it must have been pre-Vatican 2 to have solid Catholic bishops.
(03-25-2018, 07:34 PM)FultonFan Wrote: This, for me, is one of the most frustrating aspects of the Church today.

I think obedience to the authority of a bishop is one of the greatest signs of humility, and conformity of one's will to the Church.  

The Church is in an abnormal time, and obedience to the local bishop sometimes feels like gambling with your soul.  I'm not at all impressed with partial obedience -- that's not really obedience at all.

Peace.....I agree that it seems every Bishop on every corner has a different way of handling things, because he is following his own dictates - we are scattered all over the place. This does make it difficult for one to join a group because how do we know for sure what is lurking over our head or about to change?? Thank God, we do have the responsibility and choice to be obedient to the good Bishops following the teachings of Christ and the Apostles.  I have seen in a Rule of Life and Constitutions for Religious Sisters that they do not have to be obedient if their conscience is in grave danger or seriously against a Superior's decisions.  So, I keep this in mind!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
we must be careful with this though. Its very easy to claim to not have to follow the bishops because we deem something not traditional enough or reverent enough when it does not necessarily go against church teaching. We can not let ourselves get sucked into the Protestant trap in thinking we are the authority on what is Catholic enough and who is Catholic enough to follow. I wopuld advise to err on the side of the bishops unless something is blatently wrong. I had a priest one time tell me in the confessional that I was to follow what he told was a sin and not a sin. He said if what I thought was a sin and he said wasn't and it turns out it was a sin, that's on him. He is putting the owness on himself.

I believe obedience is the hardest thing for a trad catholic to do. It is so easy to think they know better than the Pope or bishops or priests. It is a lot harder to be obedient to them(not counting obvious things that are wrong) when trads believe they know better.
(03-25-2018, 10:21 PM)havok579257 Wrote: we must be careful with this though.  Its very easy to claim  to not have to follow the bishops because we deem something not traditional enough or reverent enough when it does not necessarily go against church teaching.  We can not let ourselves get sucked into the Protestant trap in thinking we are the authority on what is Catholic enough and who is Catholic enough to follow.  I wopuld advise to err on the side of the bishops unless something is blatently wrong.  I had a priest one time tell me in the confessional that I was to follow what he told was a sin and not a sin.  He said if what I thought was a sin and he said wasn't and it turns out it was a sin, that's on him.  He is putting the owness on himself.  

I believe obedience is the hardest thing for a trad catholic to do.  It is so easy to think they know better than the Pope or bishops or priests.  It is a lot harder to be obedient to them(not counting obvious things that are wrong) when trads believe they know better.

Are you suggesting that being Catholic means refraining from making moral judgments and labeling that abdication of responsibility "obedience"?
(03-26-2018, 12:32 AM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Are you suggesting that being Catholic means refraining from making moral judgments and labeling that abdication of responsibility "obedience"?

Well since I never said that, no, I am not suggesting that.
(03-25-2018, 07:34 PM)FultonFan Wrote: This, for me, is one of the most frustrating aspects of the Church today.

What has your bishop been asking / telling you to do that you find so repugnant?