Can someone please spoon feed me some info about FSSP?
(04-01-2018, 02:21 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(03-28-2018, 03:31 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: What is it like one of those "toxic trad" things?

Anyway, I went to that Ordinariate of etc. church today and... I don't think I get it?  Maybe I misunderstood something.  It was just an N.O. Mass.  It was not another rite.  Just the O.F.  Did I miss something?  The only difference was that they made reference to a bishop who I presume is specific to the Ordinariate.  And they used the RSV-2CE (which, don't get me wrong, is great). So ???????????????

In my area (Baltimore) there are 3 Anglican use parishes.  I have been to one, which was VERY orthodox, no funny stuff whatsoever.  It reminded me of a traditionalist Anglican parish that I visited a few times.  The other two I have only visited their websites.  One I think used to be a former Charismatic Episcopal parish, so very looney toons still it seems.  The other was a higher but not highest Episcopal church, so it's essentially a high-mass with guitars and drums.  In Maryland alone, it seems the Ordinariate is a carbon-copy in miniature of the Episcopal Church during the 1970s and 80s.

Thoughts on St. Alphonsus?
(04-01-2018, 09:29 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Thoughts on St. Alphonsus?

I have only been there once, in the early 2000s when it was still and indult parish.  The church itself is very beautiful, though it was in noticeable disrepair at the time.  I had intended to go on one of the Sundays that they were offering the high mass, but I either got them mixed up or they were not following their own schedule and it was only the low-mass that week.  That was my introduction to the TLM, and I remember being very unimpressed.  Since then, I've been to a few TLM parishes - 1 ICK and 2 or 3 FSSP.  I thought all the FSSP masses were very well done from an aesthetic POV, so I was glad to hear it when I learned that FSSP was taking over St. Alphonsus.
I lived in the Baltimore area last year and left just before the FSSP took over the church. The Mass was decently well done and I loved the church (one of the most beautiful that I've seen in the US) although it certainly could have used some work. The crowd was certainly on the smaller side although I've heard that it's grown a lot since the FSSP took over. We lived about 30 minutes away, but typically went to St. Mary's in D.C. (about an hour away) because we really liked how they did the Mass and the priests were great (especially the two younger guys who were probably in their 30s). We also liked the earlier Mass time (9 am), the fact that there was a big (and younger) crowd in the church, and spending the morning and early afternoon in the Alexandria/NoVa region. The DC area was also safer in comparison, although Saratoga Street wasn't so busy/shady on Sunday mornings compared to the times that I'd occasionally go during the week.

We also had a once per month TLM at Our Lady's Center in Ellicott City. Overall, I really miss living there.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(04-01-2018, 09:40 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(04-01-2018, 09:29 PM)Imperator Caesar Trump Wrote: Thoughts on St. Alphonsus?

I have only been there once, in the early 2000s when it was still and indult parish.  The church itself is very beautiful, though it was in noticeable disrepair at the time.  I had intended to go on one of the Sundays that they were offering the high mass, but I either got them mixed up or they were not following their own schedule and it was only the low-mass that week.  That was my introduction to the TLM, and I remember being very unimpressed.  Since then, I've been to a few TLM parishes - 1 ICK and 2 or 3 FSSP.  I thought all the FSSP masses were very well done from an aesthetic POV, so I was glad to hear it when I learned that FSSP was taking over St. Alphonsus.

Had a similar experience, per this thread.  I hope it has really changed as much as it appears to have changed last night.  Its past life prior to FSSP was unimpressive to say the least.
(04-01-2018, 09:52 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I lived in the Baltimore area last year and left just before the FSSP took over the church. The Mass was decently well done and I loved the church (one of the most beautiful that I've seen in the US) although it certainly could have used some work. The crowd was certainly on the smaller side although I've heard that it's grown a lot since the FSSP took over. We lived about 30 minutes away, but typically went to St. Mary's in D.C. (about an hour away) because we really liked how they did the Mass and the priests were great (especially the two younger guys who were probably in their 30s). We also liked the earlier Mass time (9 am), the fact that there was a big (and younger) crowd in the church, and spending the morning and early afternoon in the Alexandria/NoVa region. The DC area was also safer in comparison, although Saratoga Street wasn't so busy/shady on Sunday mornings compared to the times that I'd occasionally go during the week.

We also had a once per month TLM at Our Lady's Center in Ellicott City. Overall, I really miss living there.

According to the bulletin I picked up last night (my first time since FSSP took over), they are raising money for repairs quickly.  I personally noticed several recent renovations since I was last there.  I suppose there's some symbolism in that.  I noticed many more altar boys and a bigger choir.  The number of attendees felt bigger.  They apparently get about 300 people on Sunday between the three mass times.  Not bad, but it seems small given the size of the church.  

I saw they have a regular men's group.  I'm thinking about attending if I have the time.  I really liked the priest.  He kinda sounded like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  I consider that a positive, generally.