Linux Subforum
In light of the recent news about Microsoft and Apple just plain old being a cult, I propose we promote the common good by raising awareness about Linux here. I use Arch Linux extensively and Ubuntu powers the FE site, so I think we should take up the cause. Post here to petition Vox to create a Linux subforum. I am more than happy by the way to charitably provide Linux support for Fishies looking to make the jump.
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
[-] The following 4 users Like divinesilence80's post:
  • formerbuddhist, olorin12, sobercatholic, Steven
Why not go cheap and just start a thread in Science, Nature, Technology, Wonders and Curiosities Forum? :idea:
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
(03-26-2018, 08:30 PM)Zedta Wrote: Why not go cheap and just start a thread in Science, Nature, Technology, Wonders and Curiosities  Forum? :idea:

Linux can be a beast and if we have a lot of questions I don't want them to get all jumbled up in 1 thread. I'll go mad. I'm sure Vox will answer in a timely manner. Patience is a virtue ;)
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
I'm in. My youngest Son, the computer whiz, is encouraging me to switch, but I'm reluctant to try it without guidance, and he's a long way away.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(03-26-2018, 08:40 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I'm in. My youngest Son, the computer whiz, is encouraging me to switch, but I'm reluctant to try it without guidance, and he's a long way away.

Me too, except I'm the one in this family that builds computers! :D
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • formerbuddhist
(03-26-2018, 08:23 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: In light of the recent news about Microsoft and Apple just plain old being a cult, I propose we promote the common good by raising awareness about Linux here. I use Arch Linux extensively and Ubuntu powers the FE site, so I think we should take up the cause. Post here to petition Vox to create a Linux subforum. I am more than happy by the way to charitably provide Linux support for Fishies looking to make the jump.
Peace.....I don't know anything at all about Linux and the benefits however I can read from the posts that there is something stirring.  Is it something that can be used in Canada?  How do I rid myself of Microsoft to take on Linux?  Would the change be so complicated that I need close guidance as one poster was suggesting they would need?  I wondered if eventually Linux and other providers would be in the same position as Microsoft - laying down rules/laws or they might be out of business. (?)  I wouldn't want to run and change everything to end up in the same boat with a hole in it!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
I second this. Linux needs it's own forum! I use ElementaryOS as my daily driver, and Debian for practically all of my web hosting (super light headless and super duper stable (I hit 600+ days uptime last week)). I would totally love to chat about Linux with anyone and everyone.
I am in the process of discerning my vocation with the help of my priest. If you would like to read my thoughts as I progress through this process of discernment feel free to visit my blog: https://walkingthelittleway.com
Let's do it! I'm an Ubntu, Yocto and Redhat developer...
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
(03-26-2018, 08:51 PM)angeltime Wrote: Peace.....I don't know anything at all about Linux and the benefits however I can read from the posts that there is something stirring.  Is it something that can be used in Canada? 

Linux could be used on the moon if you installed it on your space ship, so geography is not a limitation at all. 

(03-26-2018, 08:51 PM)angeltime Wrote: How do I rid myself of Microsoft to take on Linux?  Would the change be so complicated that I need close guidance as one poster was suggesting they would need? 

Well, it depends. There are some Linux distributions that are as easy as popping in a CD or USB drive, rebooting, and following onscreen instructions just like a Windows install. SuSE for instance comes to mind. At the other end of the spectrum is Gentoo, which is literally building the entire OS from the source code (freely available). I've done it a few times awhile ago and only a masochist would attempt such a thing.

The other question to consider to is what software do you need to run? Open Office and LibreOffice have some working alternatives to MS Office. In fact, they can even read the .docx or .pptx files almost perfectly. If you need something like Adobe Photoshop, you may have difficulty. Krita is probably the closest you can get to Photoshop on Linux. It actually reads PSD files so not too shabby, but its meant more so for painting that playing around with photo editing. You also have some browser alternatives like Pixlr, and I think some Adobe versions are now browser based too. You also have the windows emulator (WINE) which can run certain windows apps right on Linux. It is a pain to get to work and not every piece of software works on it. If you have one specific application you need to run, you could always run Windows in a virtual box and just use it for that software. It kind of defeats the purpose of Linux, but its a last ditch effort.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and surmise that since you are asking this question you probably aren't running anything too complex. If this is true, the switch would not be too painful.

(03-26-2018, 08:51 PM)angeltime Wrote: I wondered if eventually Linux and other providers would be in the same position as Microsoft - laying down rules/laws or they might be out of business. (?)  I wouldn't want to run and change everything to end up in the same boat with a hole in it!  God bless, angeltime :heart:

No, this won't happen with Linux. Linux is open source as in the code is freely available therefore it is not profitable for it to be patented. No one company owns Linux. Different organizations can have their own take on it (hence the open nature of it) but it all boils down to a common set of features that everyone has access to and no one owns. Think public domain sort of. There is a reason most data centers DO NOT run MS anything on their production servers.
I'm in guys. I've used various distros since 1994. These days, I favor the all-my-ducks-in-a-row distributions like Mint, or such. My house is primarily Apple-based products, though there are several PCs, they run Linux only, if they stay here. And there's something extra-neat that I find in trad Catholics using Linux.  :D
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.