Linux Subforum
Angeltime: I recently switched my parents over to Mint last time they came up to visit with me. They have had little issue, and when they do have an issue I can typically walk them through opening an ssh and letting me fix whatever they've managed to break ;) If you are on this forum you are FAR more technologically literate then they are so you'll be fine. It's a bit of a learning curve depending on what you would like to do. For basic computing, you'll hardly notice the difference (well...maybe the far lower software cost in most cases); but, as one interest grows the complexity grows with it. Luckily, there are many hobbyists and professionals who geek out to this stuff and post well-documented tutorials on the internet so you can typically - with good Google-fu - find what you are looking for and step by step instructions to solve the issue.

I'd recommend staying away from Gentoo as well (also Elementary to be honest as it still does not play well with some newer hardware (my ThinkPad has some issues still) and other similar small projects). I'd go for the bigger ones with more support: Ubuntu, Mint, Debian (with a graphical interface if you're getting started), Fedora (maybe...Maaaaybe...this is bridging the gap though and you may run into some issues).
I am in the process of discerning my vocation with the help of my priest. If you would like to read my thoughts as I progress through this process of discernment feel free to visit my blog: https://walkingthelittleway.com
Peace.....I spoke with someone from a computer store whom I also contract with to service my computer and any probs I have.  They are well-known in Canada and USA.  They told me they would not support Linux because the configurations would have a difficult platform.  In my mind, after years of being with them, I wouldnt want to be left without them just due to this change....any comments?  Tks and God bless, angeltime :heart:
Wow lots of Linux users in here, even a developer! How cool!
I'm thrilled there is so much interest in Linux. All you guys on the fence about it,know that you can have both Windows and Linux on the same PC. While i was first learning my way around Ubuntu that's what i did,but once i felt better about it i have been using it exclusively. Like others have said,distros like Ubuntu and Mint are pretty user friendly. 

On a side note,anyone else here actually enjoy the Terminal? I love trying  to learn how to use it. Maybe it's nostalgia from my youth when computer class at school meant slogging through MSDOS but i kind of like it,it's like the difference between manual transmission and automatic,and just like with cars i prefer to have a stick. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new section of the tank works out.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
(03-27-2018, 02:15 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: On a side note,anyone else here actually enjoy the Terminal?

I do. I prefer headless systems as much as possible. I'm an efficiency nerd though so maybe that's why. I even use it on my ElementaryOS system. It's far easier to do almost everything on Linux via the terminal. Even on my daily system, I don't start the graphics system unless I need to use something like a web browser, IDE, etc. Most of what I use my computers for is to automate stuff in my house - and now that I live alone that hobby is quickly becoming a bit out of hand LOL - but that leads to mostly everything being some sort of terminal configured service.
I am in the process of discerning my vocation with the help of my priest. If you would like to read my thoughts as I progress through this process of discernment feel free to visit my blog: https://walkingthelittleway.com
Ten years ago, I was floundering in my old job, no prospects, needing to find a better place to work. On a lark, I sent an article on stupid terminal tricks to an old friend for fun. That coincided with a sudden need on their part for someone with my skillset, and one thing led to another. The one that caused me to reach out to this person was, of course, the ability for one to watch the original Star Wars in ASCII in its entirety:

1: Watch Star Wars in ASCII
Yes, really, you can watch the original Star Wars Episode IV – A New Hope right from the terminal. All you need to do is type the following:
Code:
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Sit back, relax, and enjoy your ASCII adventure.

[Image: star-wars-terminal.gif]
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
(03-27-2018, 08:29 PM)IntoTheMystic Wrote:
(03-27-2018, 02:15 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: On a side note,anyone else here actually enjoy the Terminal?

I do. I prefer headless systems as much as possible. I'm an efficiency nerd though so maybe that's why. I even use it on my ElementaryOS system. It's far easier to do almost everything on Linux via the terminal. Even on my daily system, I don't start the graphics system unless I need to use something like a web browser, IDE, etc. Most of what I use my computers for is to automate stuff in my house - and now that I live alone that hobby is quickly becoming a bit out of hand LOL - but that leads to mostly everything being some sort of terminal configured service.

Wait, what?  Like, tell the coffee machine to brew at 6am or the thermostat to drop down to 68 after 10pm?  I've already been semi-interested in switching to Linux, but if this is a thing, I think I may be sold!  Please explain!
DS, you can set up a child board under "Pig Roast" if you want. We'll see if it gets traffic enough to warrant it. What I don't want is a dead sub-forum or child board; the fewer sub-fora, the better, cleaner-looking, and less confusing things are.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(03-29-2018, 04:26 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: DS, you can set up a child board under "Pig Roast" if you want. We'll see if it gets traffic enough to warrant it. What I don't want is a dead sub-forum or child board; the fewer sub-fora, the better, cleaner-looking, and less confusing things are.

By "under" do you mean physically below as a new row or should "Pig Roast" be the parent forum?
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
(03-29-2018, 12:06 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: By "under" do you mean physically below as a new row or should "Pig Roast" be the parent forum?

Parent forum. Let's see how it works...
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s