How to Post Without Driving Everyone Insane
1. DO NOT USE ALL CAPS IN SUBJECT LINES.

2. Use relevant subject lines that give information as to the content of the threat you're making. E.g., "Question about Penance" is much better than "Question" (or, given rule 1, "QUESTION").

3. Preview your posts to see how they'd look if you were to click the Post Button. Insert paragraph breaks where needed so there aren't giant walls of smushed-together, illegible text. Format graphics and URLs and videos so things look legible, tidy, and easy on the eye.

4. And, finally, remove extraneous quoting. We never need to see the entirety of a long post you're responding to, especially after it's been quoted a gorillion times in the same thread, including the videos and graphics and everything. Quote only the main points, the points you're responding to. So, how to remove extraneous quoting? Keep reading:

This is a post. A graphic that won't be relevant to anyone's reply to this post follows:

[Image: DZXSv5kUMAA8jyD.jpg]

This is text that won't be relevant if someone replies to this post. Now proceed to the next post.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
To reply to the above post, one clicks the button marked "REPLY" underneath it. This is what one then sees:

[Image: howtopost1.jpg]

Because the graphic isn't relevant to the reply one is making, one highlights it and clicks one's DELETE button, found just to the right of one's keyboard:

[Image: howtopost2.jpg]

See how the graphic is darkened? That's because it is highlighted in preparation for deletion. To highlight, hold down your left mouse button and run it over that which you want to highlight. Then click that aforementioned DELETE button:

[Image: howtopost3.jpg]

Incredibly, the image disappears from one's text area!:

[Image: howtopost4.jpg]

But wait! What's this? There is still extraneous text -- id est, text that isn't relevant to the reply one is making. Oh no! What shall we do? I know! We delete it! "But how do we do that?" one wonders!

Fascinatingly, this very serious problem is taken care of using the same method one uses to delete extraneous graphics. Just highlight by using that left mouse button, and then click your delete button!

[Image: howtopost5.jpg]

See how the text is highlighted in a beautiful color? Now watch closely!:

[Image: howtopost6.jpg]

It's gone! Our user just used his DELETE button like a champ. Now all he has to do is to delete the extra white space by clicking his cursor into the spot that comes just before the white space he wants to delete (i.e., he places his cursor just after the text he is keeping) and then hitting that same delete button until it's gone:

[Image: howtopost7.jpg]

Now he simply replies as usual:

[Image: howtopost9.jpg]

Badaboom, badabing! In like Flynn! And Bob's yer uncle!

Chin up! You, too, can learn to snip extraneous quoting and graphics. Yes, you can. Yes, you can!

[Image: howtopost8.jpg]

God bless you, and God bless America!
[-] The following 7 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • AugustineMaria, Dominicus, GoldstarMom2872, jovan66102, lingui5t, MagisterMusicae, St.Eliza
(03-29-2018, 05:00 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: To reply to the above post, one clicks the button marked "REPLY" underneath it. This is what one then sees:

[Image: howtopost1.jpg]

Because the graphic isn't relevant to the reply one is making, one highlights it and clicks one's DELETE button, found just to the right of one's keyboard:

[Image: howtopost2.jpg]

See how the graphic is darkened? That's because it is highlighted in preparation for deletion. To highlight, hold down your left mouse button and run it over that which you want to highlight. Then click that aforementioned DELETE button:

[Image: howtopost3.jpg]

Incredibly, the image disappears from one's text area!:

[Image: howtopost4.jpg]

But wait! What's this? There is still extraneous text -- id est, text that isn't relevant to the reply one is making. Oh no! What shall we do? I know! We delete it! "But how do we do that?" one wonders!

Fascinatingly, this very serious problem is taken care of using the same method one uses to delete extraneous graphics. Just highlight by using that left mouse button, and then click your delete button!

[Image: howtopost5.jpg]

See how the text is highlighted in a beautiful color? Now watch closely!:

[Image: howtopost6.jpg]

It's gone! Our user just used his DELETE button like a champ. Now all he has to do is to delete the extra white space by clicking his cursor into the spot that comes just before the white space he wants to delete (i.e., he places his cursor just after the text he is keeping) and then hitting that same delete button until it's gone:

[Image: howtopost7.jpg]

Now he simply replies as usual:

[Image: howtopost9.jpg]

Badaboom, badabing! In like Flynn! And Bob's yer uncle!

Chin up! You, too, can learn to snip extraneous quoting and graphics. Yes, you can. Yes, you can!

[Image: howtopost8.jpg]

God bless you, and God bless America!

So THAT'S how I'm supposed to do it. :D
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 8 users Like Jeeter's post:
  • AugustineMaria, Fontevrault, GoldstarMom2872, LionHippo, MagisterMusicae, Mark Williams, Steven, Teresa Agrorum
I hate you, Jeeter.
[-] The following 5 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • Fontevrault, Galahad3, MagisterMusicae, Steven, Teresa Agrorum
(03-29-2018, 09:52 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: I hate you, Jeeter.

:D

I'm sorry.  Some things I just can't resist.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • VoxClamantis
I honestly don't mind quoted pictures as long as they're small. People should make use of the image button's custom width and height. Something like 300x300 is a nice and non-intrusive image size unless there's actually a need for something massive.

Nested quotes are still an annoyance, I hate having to edit them out whenever I reply to a post. They are simple to turn off (it's in your MyBB settings).
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(03-29-2018, 10:17 AM)GangGreen Wrote: I honestly don't mind quoted pictures as long as they're small. People should make use of the image button's custom width and height. Something like 300x300 is a nice and non-intrusive image size unless there's actually a need for something massive.

Nested quotes are still an annoyance, I hate having to edit them out whenever I reply to a post. They are simple to turn off (it's in your MyBB settings).

But turning them off annoys those who like having the text there to reply to (this was just brought up on the forum after I changed things so that only the most recent post would be quoted when replying). If one just wants to reply to a thread without any quoting, though, one can use the 'New Reply" button at the very bottom of a thread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • St.Eliza
(03-30-2018, 11:33 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: But turning them off annoys those who like having the text there to reply to (this was just brought up on the forum after I changed things so that only the most recent post would be quoted when replying). If one just wants to reply to a thread without any quoting, though, one can use the 'New Reply" button at the very bottom of a thread.

I believe the option would just make it so that the most recent post in the quote chain shows up in the reply rather than the whole chain of posts.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(03-30-2018, 02:25 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I believe the option would just make it so that the most recent post in the quote chain shows up in the reply rather than the whole chain of posts.

One problem with the way it was that it also deletes quoted material, such as if the previous post quoted an article or encyclical or something, and you want to comment both on the quoted material as well as the previous poster's comments.
Isn't that how we get into these issues of ridiculously long posts with quotes galore? Plus there is the multiquote option if you want to quote multiple posts in the same reply.