Nasty temptations and scruples...
I'm getting bombarded with nasty temptations (anger, judgementalism, and preverse lust to be exact) and scruples right now, just a couple of minutes ago, I got struck with several really grave thoughts and I'm still unsure if I let them in with full consent or not. I'm scared to death of sacrilegious Communion, and I know that, if I'm not sure whether or not I've sinned mortally, I should go up and receive it, but I just can't shake the thought of; what if I went too far with one thought, or what if I'm deceiving myself, and confusing thoughts with feelings? I don't have access to a priest until after Triduum, and I need prayers that I can make it through, not fall, and think clearly and examine my conscience properly.

Please pray!
[Image: Blessed_Virgin_Mary_Holding_Jesus_with_S...abriel.jpg]
Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!
(03-29-2018, 01:11 PM)MaryLover Wrote: I'm getting

i don't think
(03-29-2018, 01:51 PM)Ptochos Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 01:11 PM)MaryLover Wrote: I'm getting bombarded with nasty temptations (anger, judgementalism, and preverse lust to be exact) and scruples right now, just a couple of minutes ago, I got struck with several really grave thoughts and I'm still unsure if I let them in with full consent or not. I'm scared to death of sacrilegious Communion, and I know that, if I'm not sure whether or not I've sinned mortally, I should go up and receive it, but I just can't shake the thought of; what if I went too far with one thought, or what if I'm deceiving myself, and confusing thoughts with feelings? I don't have access to a priest until after Triduum, and I need prayers that I can make it through, not fall, and think clearly and examine my conscience properly.

Please pray!

The Passion for yesterday, Wednesday in Holy Week says "And being in an agony, he prayed the longer." I needed to read that last night. I was being tempted. I think St. Alphonsus said that when tempted by lust, to distract the mind with something else, preferably something holy. He said other temptations should be fought but that we should flee from lust as the more we fight it, the stronger it seems to be. (Forgive me if I am misquoting him but I think I am reflecting the spirit of what he said). Anyway, last night I visualized the Blessed Mother and prayed Hail Marys. I had to do it several times. I had an impure dream which is usually a further temptation but when I woke up this morning, the extreme temptation had passed. This is a first for me. I will pray for you.

As for the scrupulosity, I'm not sure. I have a bit of it but not a lot. When I'm feeling scrupulous, I can often find its root is pride. I'm not saying this is the case with you but that's how it is for me. I do my best to cast it all on the Lord. I've heard he likes the poor in spirit. I tell him I offer Him my brokenness and my sinful nature and my failures because that is all I have. I tell Him I do so not because I have anything worthy to offer but only because He said He said that he approves a broken and contrite heart.

Then there's the story of St Jerome who thought he had given Jesus everything he had and Jesus told him something like You haven't given me your sins

i guess you could say .. being absolved is not necessarily giving them up to Jesus 100%? (except after Jesus told him that) :)
[-] The following 1 user Likes gracemary5's post:
  • Ptochos
(03-29-2018, 03:42 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: i don't think
i don't think
(03-29-2018, 04:28 PM)Ptochos Wrote:
(03-29-2018, 03:42 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: Then there's the story of St Jerome who thought he had given Jesus everything he had and Jesus told him something like You haven't given me your sins

i guess you could say .. being absolved is not necessarily giving them up to Jesus 100%? (except after Jesus told him that) :)

I hadn't heard this story before so I looked for it online and found it here https://guardianoftheredeemer.wordpress....st-jerome/

I love it!! Thanks for sharing!
thanks for saying thanks... most people have forgotten how, it seems... sigh :)
i almost did not comment on this thread.. so glad i did because i just went to that site and it brought me to tears. And better yet, it made me realize that i do that myself: even after absolution, i still think of them as MY sins... hmmm... I would say I am hopeless! But of course, that would just prove the point!!

LOL

One time I was thinking about how I was going to conquer some sin or another and i had  a flash of insight: "But God, i will never conquer all my sins/sinfulness.. which of course is where Jesus comes in