Dennis Prager on Jewish Heaven
Dennis Prager has many likable traits and a supremely mellifluous voice.

He is a champion of conservative ideals and saying, "Merry Christmas!"

However, he is definitely a Zionist, and given what I've recently learned about Judaism and the Talmud (which isn't much), I suspect he is not being honest in his Jewish apologetics.  

First, given some of the more troublesome beliefs espoused by the Talmud, anyone who has actually read it and doesn't denounce it is beyond troubling.

Second, I watched this video (9 min) discussion on Protestant Christian beliefs vs Judaism and I'm not sure if he is whitewashing things for the audience when he says Judaism is only based on the goodness of the individual and not on whether they are pagan or Jew.  

Doesn't that contradict the whole, "chosen people" narrative?

Does anyone have knowledge of Jewish belief in Heaven and Hell and who goes there and why?

It really depends. Some Jews don't believe in either. Some believe only Jews get to heaven. Some believe that Jews and Noahides get to heaven but Jews are given precidence. Some believe heaven is only a metaphor for an earthly kingdom ruled by their messiah who will usher in peace by conquering their enemies and teaching the laws of God to the gentiles. Some believe that heaven is merely a goal to strive for but never actually gain. And finally some are simply agnostic.

It's important to realize that in very Orthodox talmudic-Judaism there isn't really a concept of salvation as we understand it. Their view of sin is reminiscient of Gnosticism. For them every Jew has a "divine spark" which is obscured by sin and it is by obeying the mosaic and rabbinic laws and studying kabbala that they are purged of this and become one with God.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
Hmmm....well I found this.

Apparently, they pray a curse on us three times a day that requests:

Quote:The blessing exists in various forms.[5][6] Two medieval Cairo Genizah copies include references to both minimand Notzrim ("Nazarenes", i.e. "Christians").[7][8][9]
Quote:"For the apostates let there be no hope. And let the arrogant government be speedily uprooted in our days. Let the noẓerim and the minim be destroyed in a moment. And let them be blotted out of the Book of Life and not be inscribed together with the righteous. Blessed art thou, O Lord, who humblest the arrogant" (Schechter)."[10]

So if they are requesting that we be blotted out of the Book of Life they don't expect us in Heaven.

I wonder if all the various Jewish sects pray this prayer.   :hmmm:
(04-03-2018, 04:40 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I wonder if all the various Jewish sects pray this prayer.   :hmmm:

I highly doubt it. Most Jewish shuls resemble a lot like Protestant chyurches. Jews are a very friendly bunch, but they are not the greatest fans of Christianity and they blame Christianity for much of their woes. Nevertheless they have friends with Christians and do not act like it's un-Kosher to break bread with a Nazarene. They will however mock Christians in the same way Protestants mock Catholics and Catholics mock Protestants.

In short, they aren't green-lizard people, they are human like the rest of us.
(04-02-2018, 07:46 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: First, given some of the more troublesome beliefs espoused by the Talmud, anyone who has actually read it and doesn't denounce it is beyond troubling.

I've heard him say somewhere that he does not believe in Genesis, but then has a PragerU video saying it is the most important lines...I think he contradicts himself.

Quote:Second, I watched this video (9 min) discussion on Protestant Christian beliefs vs Judaism and I'm not sure if he is whitewashing things for the audience when he says Judaism is only based on the goodness of the individual and not on whether they are pagan or Jew.  Doesn't that contradict the whole, "chosen people" narrative?

He is correct, Jews live by Jewish law and all others are to live under the Noahide laws.  If you live righteously under the Noahide law, then you will be "saved" according to the Jews.  Jews believe that they are chosen, and thus must live more rigidly than others because the others have not been chosen by God and do not know the Law.  Jews are to be the light of the world, and teachers to the Gentiles...which they don't do so well.

Quote:Does anyone have knowledge of Jewish belief in Heaven and Hell and who goes there and why?

I think it is similar to Christian, basically it's being with God and Hell is suffering.  It varys from Jew to Jew.  Jews are notorious for never agreeing on anything.  The joke about the three rabbis determining when the new day starts is a long-running one.
Quote:AustenBosten
He is correct, Jews live by Jewish law and all others are to live under the Noahide laws.  If you live righteously under the Noahide law, then you will be "saved" according to the Jews. 
Yeah, but we would have to deny Jesus or be beheaded. :O
https://www.fisheaters.com/jc2.html
I'm getting the impression that Prager is probably like so many of the various kinds of Jewish apologists who are cozying up to Christians and whitewashing the goals of Judaism. :/
(04-03-2018, 07:28 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
He is correct, Jews live by Jewish law and all others are to live under the Noahide laws.  If you live righteously under the Noahide law, then you will be "saved" according to the Jews. 
I'm getting the impression that Prager is probably like so many of the various kinds of Jewish apologists who are cozying up to Christians and whitewashing the goals of Judaism. :/

You can believe that, but if you visit any synagogueand ask any rabbi, they will not agree with that interpretation and most Jews do not agree with that.

Jews deny Christ and it varys on how belligerent, but they do not believe people should be beheaded.

I know because I almost became a Jew. If you want a taste of anti-Christian Jewish apologetics, then look up outreachjudaism and Rabbi Toviah Singer, he's the most polemical anti-Christian Jewish apologist I know of.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
(04-03-2018, 08:58 AM)austenbosten Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 07:28 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:

You can believe that, but if you visit any synagogueand ask any rabbi, they will not agree with that interpretation and most Jews do not agree with that.

Jews deny Christ and it varys on how belligerent, but they do not believe people should be beheaded.

I know because I almost became a Jew.  If you want a taste of anti-Christian Jewish apologetics, then look up outreachjudaism and Rabbi Toviah Singer, he's the most polemical anti-Christian Jewish apologist I know of.

Thanks!  I'll check that out.  

I've heard from some who have left Judaism that just as they hid portions of the Talmud from the Church hierarchy in the Middle Ages, Rabbis and Jews will speak very differently when Gentiles are not around.

Also, it's just a bit scary that it's on the books in the same way many Muslims don't believe infidel should be beheaded but the fact is, it's on the books.
(04-03-2018, 09:24 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 08:58 AM)austenbosten Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 07:28 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:

I know because I almost became a Jew.  If you want a taste of anti-Christian Jewish apologetics, then look up outreachjudaism and Rabbi Toviah Singer, he's the most polemical anti-Christian Jewish apologist I know of.

Thanks!  I'll check that out.  

I've heard from some who have left Judaism that just as they hid portions of the Talmud from the Church hierarchy in the Middle Ages, Rabbis and Jews will speak very differently when Gentiles are not around.

Also, it's just a bit scary that it's on the books in the same way many Muslims don't believe infidel should be beheaded but the fact is, it's on the books.

They do speak differently in the same way Catholics speak differently about Protestants and vice versa.

Yes it's in the Talmud, but how many Christians were beheaded this year by Hassids?

(04-03-2018, 09:32 AM)austenbosten Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 09:24 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: Thanks!  I'll check that out.  

They do speak differently in the same way Catholics speak differently about Protestants and vice versa.

Yes it's in the Talmud, but how many Christians were beheaded this year by Hassids?

Yeah, I know.  It's just a concern for the end times.