Joe "psychedelic drugs gives me messages" Rogan
Sorry, but I just had to make this a thread. Check out this video and start at the 1:50:00 mark.

For a guy that seems to do well when it comes to criticizing the crazy SJW types, Joe has an incredibly childish view of religion, especially of Catholicism. If he debated a scholar of Religious studies, I have no doubt Rogan would get destroyed in 5 minutes or less. Joe was raised Catholic and obviously has a personal ax to grind. He is quite confident in his view that Catholicism is a "cult." He later brings up Scientology (probably as an attempt to derail Bret Weinstein's argument) and compares the Church to it. Oh my goodness Joe, personal experience (especially bad experience) does not make you an expert in a particular religion.

In the comments section, one user mentioned the Dennis-Kruger effect, which seems to describe Rogan perfectly in this case .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2...ger_effect
The good ol'"I was raised Catholic" or "I went to Catholic school" followed by "so I should know"

No, you actually don't know a thing.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 4 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • BrianW99, GRA, Justin Alphonsus, Sacred Heart lover
Joe is, fundamentally, just a very stupid person.  He is about as dumb as a person can be before it begins to be classified as something and the state gets involved.  Every episode of his podcast:

"Well no because"

*brings mic closer*

"Every 10 years your cells in your body actually completely change.  I was reading this article about how DMT can actually advance this process into only taking 6 years because your pineal gland - Jaimie could you get that article up - yeah but it's because your pineal gland can actually make your cells rejuvenate faster... here we go..."

*looks over at screen*

"Look at that... yeah that chimp must be what?  400 pounds?  That thing could tear you to shreds"
You wouldn't need to be a religious scholar to destroy Rogan. You'd just need to be a reasonably well formed Catholic. As Imperator noted above Joe isn't very intelligent at all. He's managed to carve out a nice gig for himself with his podcast, but that doesn't require a great deal of intelligence. I'll give it a listen when he's just shooting the breeze with a fellow comic, but when he brings on anyone outside of his limited circle of knowledge I turn it off. It's humiliating that there are several channels on youtube that are dedicated to simply cutting his podcast up and passing off his inane pot talk as insightful wisdom.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian
DMT sounds terrifying. The stories of feeling "ego death" and visiting "machine elves" in hyperspace is scary as hell. Never heard of Joe Rogan but he sounds kind of like a modern day Terrance Mckenna figure. Am i right?
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
Quote:DMT sounds terrifying. The stories of feeling "ego death" and visiting "machine elves" in hyperspace is scary as hell. Never heard of Joe Rogan but he sounds kind of like a modern day Terrance Mckenna figure. Am i right?

He's just a stand up comic and MMA commentator. He was able to get in on the ground floor when podcasting became a thing, so he's developed a decent little following. But even among stand ups and fight commentators no one really thinks he's that great. If you ever went through a stage where you smoked pot and sat around with your buddies then you've already experienced the best Rogan can provide.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian
[-] The following 3 users Like MeanGene's post:
  • formerbuddhist, IntoTheMystic, jovan66102
I like Rogan, but he's definitely got Catholicism way, way wrong.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Rogan is just number ten million and x victim of new order catechetics.

He doesn't know what he doesn't know.

And yet if his curious mind looked into the coup that transformed the Church of his ancestors, he could be a major influence in helping people back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BC's post:
  • BrianW99
(04-06-2018, 09:46 PM)BC Wrote: Rogan is just number ten million and x victim of new order catechetics.

He doesn't know what he doesn't know.

And yet if his curious mind looked into the coup that transformed the Church of his ancestors, he could be a major influence in helping people back.

Given his prejudice, I highly doubt he would even bother to look up anything involving the church unless it involved attacking it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Echo's post:
  • BrianW99
Joe Rogan can be entertaining, but his knowledge of Theology is about a 0.
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."