The obsession with the papacy is misguided.
We need to just be Christians, despite the things going on in the Church.

That means, above all things: Love.  If our Faith isnt guiding us to love, then we're just a cymbal making a racket.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been snarky and prideful, especially lately.

This is NOT the way of Christ.  Either we love, or we're simply deceiving ourselves.
[-] The following 3 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • angeltime, gospel654, havok579257
Sometimes when people ask me what I think of the acting Pope, I just say "I try not to".
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eric F's post:
  • angeltime
(04-06-2018, 04:13 PM)FultonFan Wrote: This is NOT the way of Christ.  Either we love, or we're simply deceiving ourselves.

There is no Love without Truth.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Optatus Cleary
(04-06-2018, 04:25 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(04-06-2018, 04:13 PM)FultonFan Wrote: This is NOT the way of Christ.  Either we love, or we're simply deceiving ourselves.

Sure, and God is both Love AND Truth.

We just need to hold fast to the promise that the gates of Hell will not prevail, and then pick up our Cross and follow Christ.
[-] The following 3 users Like FultonFan's post:
  • angeltime, gospel654, havok579257
(04-06-2018, 04:25 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:

This.  Love is not equivalent to a specific modern set of castrated and placated behaviors.  At best that could be described as a culturally prescribed type of etiquette.
I hear you, Fulton Fan, and I sympathize with you. And I totally agree that obsession with the papacy is unhealthy. But somehow, when I read you saying that we just have to hold fast to the promise that the gates of hell will never prevail, it sounds like there is still some obsession with the papacy. 

I suggest we go one step further: ignore the papacy. Unless you are a priest or consecrated religious, there is no practical relevance of the papacy to your daily life, apart from praying for the pope and the bishops and so on. Ignore the papacy. Read the classical works of the truths of the Faith. Study the truth, see it expressed in the beautiful art and music of the Church; live the Truth in your devout life and in your dealings with others. There is no need at all for any layman to concern himself about the latest utterances from any pope, unless there has been some dogmatic declaration. We have 2000 years of saints, of doctrine, of art and literature and music at our disposition. And how many years of this life left? I would start with reading all the FE Catholic articles. Dive in. So much pure water and clean air in the traditional faith and its beautiful expression to enjoy. Leave the muddy sludge to others. Life is too short.
I only wish I could take my own advice!
"The days have gone down in the West, behind the hills, into shadow." - Theoden, King.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maldon's post:
  • FultonFan
While true, the state of the Church does make evangelization difficult. We can set a good example, but what happens when someone considers Catholicism and then reads about the crazy pope or sees the terrible state of things? This is the conundrum of many. You can say, well just look at the history and read the Saints, but then someone will say, but if this is all true then why is your Church such a mess today? Then what? You're going to tell them about Masons, globalists, and homosexuals infiltrating the Church? Modernism, the fruits of Vatican II? Tell them that this was all prophesied? Not an easy sell.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
GangGreen,

I do not actually think that it is a problem for evangelization, though it may be a problem for 'polemics', but evangelizing and polemics are two different things.

Who do we evangelize? There are people out there sincerely looking for the Truth. These people will appreciate the Truth. They may want answers to questions concerning the madness of today, but the answers to this madness do not require anything related to visions, prophecies or masons. They require what the Church teaches about itself; they require perennial doctrine. I was one of these people. All the prophecies and mason stuff is exciting but speculative, accusatory, and basically distracts from the essentials. They also need to know very early on that there have been terrible popes, terrible times, heretical hierarchies, and so forth from day One of the Church. They must know that this is part and parcel of life on earth, and that it is a Protestant error to think that we should somehow be 'above' the sins of the world. 

There are other people out there, family and friends, people we have to sit down with at Thanksgiving, mockers who are looking at the current crisis and feeling very good that it sort of gives their apostasy-based lifestyle a free pass, and condemns us. These people are not (yet) looking for the truth. They are looking to justify their current lifestyle. This is where we get into polemics at Christmas dinner, and it is really painful. These are largely baptized Catholics who feel most at home going to Mass once a year at Christmas (to get into the 'spirit' of it), or every now and then, and who abhor the TLM. I think we need to pray for them more than argue with them.

And then there are atheists, who love the current hierarchy, but not because they want to convert or are looking for the truth. They just don't want us telling them the truth. We pray for these.

But the fact is that when the Church prays properly, and operates 'traditionally' people just pop up out of nowhere asking for the Truth. I have seen it with my own eyes. Bizarre but true. So that's how we evangelize, I think.
"The days have gone down in the West, behind the hills, into shadow." - Theoden, King.