announcements during mass
Peace.....I heard today from a friend attending a NO Mass, that before Mass started, the priest announced there would be a speaker talking to the parishners from Catholic Family Services about ShareLife collections and where the money goes to help others.  Then Mass started.....

When it came time for the people to recite the Creed, they stood up and the priest instead of leading the Creed, announced that the speaker for Catholic Family Services is here and will speak now.  So, everyone sat down.

The speaker did her thing - very well, very interesting and brief and to the point.  She sat down.  Everyone stood up again.  They recited the Creed and Mass continued.  

After Mass and before the final blessing, there was another announcement about KOC having a spaghetti dinner, Catholic Women's League having a card night - the hockey playoffs announcement was inside the parish bulletin (which I read was in the Parish Hall, large screen, cash bar, burgers, no entrance fee.)

The End!  

Really, I think to plop the speaker in as the people are standing to recite the Creed was very tacky and a distraction to the prayers and liturgy!  All the announcement could be made at the beginning before Mass starts, or at the very end.  Any comments??  God bless, angeltime :heart:
I agree the example you gave was very tacky.

In my Novus Ordo parish, if there is a guest speaker like that or the priest has to make some extra announcements, these will be done after Communion and before the final blessing, which I think is more appropriate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes gospel654's post:
  • havok579257
(04-08-2018, 07:55 PM)gospel654 Wrote: I agree the example you gave was very tacky.

In my Novus Ordo parish, if there is a guest speaker like that or the priest has to make some extra announcements, these will be done after Communion and before the final blessing, which I think is more appropriate.
Peace.....yes, agree - never heard of this before however another friend told me she has had it happen where she lives too.  To me it is simply common sense and actually rude I think to do that - what next?  God bless, angeltime :heart:
[-] The following 1 user Likes angeltime's post:
  • gospel654
I'd prefer not to have this sort of thing during Mass (and I'm not entirely sure it's allowed, since only clergy can give the homily), but if it's done, I much prefer it between the Gospel and the Creed along with any other announcements. I've never seen announcements done after Communion at the TLM, but that's the usual place at the NO. But it's not a good place, right after people have received and are trying to pray. If we have to interrupt the Mass, better to do it at the homily where it's done anyway, rather than after Communion.
I don't know if I've ever been to an NO where they didn't do amounts announcements at the end of Mass. I don't know why since before the homily is the perfect time for it (hence why it's done like that in TLMs).
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 1 user Likes GangGreen's post:
  • angeltime