Gaudete et exsultate
(04-12-2018, 04:23 PM)Paul Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 01:47 PM)Jeeter Wrote: I'm waiting on him to encourage speaking in tongues

Does Latin count?

Prolly not.

SHAMALAMALAMALAMBALALABLALALALA!!!!  

Just practicing. :D
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
(04-09-2018, 11:27 PM)olorin12 Wrote: I have read elsewhere that the document is anti-contemplative and anti-ascetic. I do not have the ability to read the document for myself - the length and the Jesuitical word-puke will put me to sleep.

I think we should think of the little way as taught by St Threse of Lisieux. She didn't become holy by how long she prayed. She became holy by how she interacted with her neighbors.
(04-10-2018, 08:09 AM)For Petes Sake Wrote:
Quote:173. Naturally, this attitude of listening entails obedience to the Gospel as the ultimate standard, but also to the Magisterium that guards it, as we seek to find in the treasury of the Church whatever is most fruitful for the “today” of salvation. It is not a matter of applying rules or repeating what was done in the past, since the same solutions are not valid in all circumstances and what was useful in one context may not prove so in another. The discernment of spirits liberates us from rigidity, which has no place before the perennial “today” of the risen Lord. The Spirit alone can penetrate what is obscure and hidden in every situation, and grasp its every nuance, so that the newness of the Gospel can emerge in another light."

This sounds like a promotion of contemplation. Listening in obedience to the Gospel is very contemplative.
(04-12-2018, 09:41 AM)angeltime Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 08:51 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 02:27 AM)Paul Wrote: So it's wrong to become a cloistered nun who stays in her convent and prays? They serve the world through prayer, not by going outside their walls and "doing things".

It would appear that way.  I did notice his statement about "carrying out our proper mission," but now I'm wondering if he considers being cloistered a "mission" anymore.

More confusion from this pontificate...
Peace.....there is a lot there to digest; it's not easy at all.  I am concerned that reciting the Rosary will become an issue because those outside the faith do not agree with the repetition of prayers.  God bless, angeltime :heart:

In thee Bible Jesus tells the story of the pharisee and the publican who went into the Temple to pray. The pharisee said a long extemporaneous prayer while the publican repeated over and over again the words, "Lord have mercy on me." It was the publican who went away justified.