Question about mainline Protestant interpretation of the Gospels
(06-02-2018, 12:38 PM)capmchuck Wrote: Protestants believe in once saved always saved.  Just utter the words "I believe in Jesus as the Savior", or something along those lines, and POOF you're good to go.  

I'm very curious what sort of Episcopal Church you were in. I was an Anglican for years. I was seriously considering the priesthood and I was reading theology under the direction of an Episcopal priest. I never heard of an Anglican theologian, bishop, or priest that believed in 'once saved, always saved'.

And the Methodists, who grew out of the Anglican Church, are so far from believing in it that the have been known to 're-baptise' someone who has 'fallen'.

It's true that some protestant churches believe the doctrine, but by no stretch of the imagination do all of them.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(06-02-2018, 12:38 PM)capmchuck Wrote: I was raised Episcopal (baptized but nit confirmed) and it wasn't until I joined the Catholic Church that my eyes were opened.  Protestants believe in once saved always saved.  Just utter the words "I believe in Jesus as the Savior", or something along those lines, and POOF you're good to go.  This is such a dangerous way of thinking because it destroys conviction of sin and makes you believe you can do whatever you want in this world because it doesn't matter anymore thus continue living "in and of the world" i.e. pursue lavish lifestyles, gossip, rationalize politics with religion, going to church whenever you feel like it, etc.

I'm not saying Protestants are going to hell by default but there will come a time when they will face a decision to turn to the One True Church of Jesus Christ or continue living and serving the world.
Peace.....I personally would think or feel over-confident that I have been saved once and for all when Jesus died on the Cross for my sins.  I don't believe it's good to think that way until we are definitely saved and in Heaven with our dear Lord.  Jesus opened a path for us as sinners, through the sacramental life.  To bounce around doing whatever because we are already forgiven is a cop-out......God bless, angeltime Heart
(06-02-2018, 03:55 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 12:38 PM)capmchuck Wrote: Protestants believe in once saved always saved.  Just utter the words "I believe in Jesus as the Savior", or something along those lines, and POOF you're good to go.  

I'm very curious what sort of Episcopal Church you were in. I was an Anglican for years. I was seriously considering the priesthood and I was reading theology under the direction of an Episcopal priest. I never heard of an Anglican theologian, bishop, or priest that believed in 'once saved, always saved'.

And the Methodists, who grew out of the Anglican Church, are so far from believing in it that the have been known to 're-baptise' someone who has 'fallen'.

It's true that some protestant churches believe the doctrine, but by no stretch of the imagination do all of them.

I would say that the vast majority of "low-church" protestants believe in this in some form. Generally my understanding by experience is that most consider that those who "fall" were never really saved to begin with as if their initial "acceptance" was defective. But as with most "low church" protestant groups, actually thinking about things is greatly discouraged unless you have a bible verse to back it up so nobody really sees the disconnect.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(06-02-2018, 03:55 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

I didn't intend to include the Episcopal Church directly so my apologies.
(04-12-2018, 11:45 PM)BrianW99 Wrote: I had an online debate with an Episcopal Pastor that thought he was really educated and smart because he studied Theology at a Protestant seminary. He argued that Jesus did not preach on the afterlife but was rather focused on this world instead of eternity. 

He said we need to read Scriptures in context. He said when Jesus said "enter through the narrow gate" he wasn't speaking about Heaven or Hell but was rather speaking of living like Jesus in this world only. 

What is your response to this guy?

I would pray for him. St Alphonsus said that those who are in Hell for the most part are those who did not believe in its existence.
(06-19-2018, 12:25 AM)Poche Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:45 PM)BrianW99 Wrote: I had an online debate with an Episcopal Pastor that thought he was really educated and smart because he studied Theology at a Protestant seminary. He argued that Jesus did not preach on the afterlife but was rather focused on this world instead of eternity. 

He said we need to read Scriptures in context. He said when Jesus said "enter through the narrow gate" he wasn't speaking about Heaven or Hell but was rather speaking of living like Jesus in this world only. 

I would pray for him. St Alphonsus said that those who are in Hell for the most part are those who did not believe in its existence.
Peace.....I don't think he is preaching the message Jesus taught at all!  Jesus' focus was on eternity and how to get there through the eye of a needle - the narrow gate because the road to perdition is wide.  Jesus did leave a way for us to live in this world, but it was so we could be with Him in all eternity everlasting life, in His Father's kingdom and the mansion He has prepared for us.  God bless, angeltime Heart
[-] The following 1 user Likes angeltime's post:
  • AnthonyB

This is one reason the good Lord provided us with His one, true Church - to provide a means by which Scripture can be interpreted correctly and faithfully.  Different opinions breed confusion, conflict and disunity.  So I would anwser such a person simply by pointing him towards "the pillar and foundation of truth" - the Catholic Church.

It sounds a bit like a version of Liberation Theology.
(07-13-2018, 06:34 AM)AnthonyB Wrote:

This is one reason the good Lord provided us with His one, true Church - to provide a means by which Scripture can be interpreted correctly and faithfully.  Different opinions breed confusion, conflict and disunity.  So I would anwser such a person simply by pointing him towards "the pillar and foundation of truth" - the Catholic Church.

Peace.....I have attended Bible studies where one is asked to bring their Bible to the session and several people show up with different Bibles and interpretations.  Even with the Douay Rheims which I use, the Psalms are broken down differently in some cases making the Psalm #'s different from other Bibles.  This certainly does add to confusion while there could be one approved version and stay with it!  We preach simplicity and this would be simplicity - as well as being organized.  

"Enter through the narrow gate" is to keep the wide road of perdition out, while we focus on living the gospels, sacramental life and receiving the Eucharist.  This is the narrow path that takes us to the narrow gate that opens the door for us to get into Heaven.  God bless, angeltime Heart
The DR uses the septuagent numbering of the psalms, most other "Bibles" use the later Masoretic numbering because protestantism.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!