Question about mainline Protestant interpretation of the Gospels
(07-13-2018, 07:08 AM)Dominicus Wrote: The DR uses the septuagent numbering of the psalms, most other "Bibles" use the later Masoretic numbering because protestantism.

Pax!  tks for letting me know this!!  God bless you...angeltime Heart
(04-12-2018, 11:45 PM)BrianW99 Wrote: I had an online debate with an Episcopal Pastor that thought he was really educated and smart because he studied Theology at a Protestant seminary. He argued that Jesus did not preach on the afterlife but was rather focused on this world instead of eternity. 

He said we need to read Scriptures in context. He said when Jesus said "enter through the narrow gate" he wasn't speaking about Heaven or Hell but was rather speaking of living like Jesus in this world only. 

What is your response to this guy?

I would say he is a hypocrite. If he had read the Scriptures in context he would have seen his error plainly. For both the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of Luke mention "the narrow gate". Reading in context, there is no doubt Jesus means eternal life, when he says "life". In Luke, chapter 13 we read...

23. And a certain man said to him, Lord, be they few that are saved? 24. But he said to them: Strive to enter by the narrow gate: because many, I say to you, shall seek to enter and shall not be able. 25. But when the good man of the house shall enter in, and shut the door, and you shall begin to stand without, and knock at the door, saying, Lord open to us: and he answering shall say to you, I know you not whence you are: 26. then you shall begin to say: We did eat before thee and drink, and in our streets didst thou teach. 27. And he shall say to you, I know you not whence you are, depart from me all ye workers of iniquity. 28. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth: when you shall see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob, and all the Prophets in the Kingdom of God, and you to be thrust out. 29. And there shall come from the East and the West and the North and the South: and shall sit down in the Kingdom of God. 30. And behold, they are last that shall be first, and they be first that shall be last.

After mentioning the necessity of entering by the narrow gate, Jesus goes on to explain where a person is actually entering.  They enter the Kingdom of God (in this case Heaven). It is no doubt, Heaven, because Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are seen there (who are no longer on earth). In Matthew, chapter 7 we read..

13. Enter ye by the narrow gate: because broad is the gate, and large is the way that leadeth to perdition, and many there be that enter by it. 14. How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it! 15. Take ye great heed of false Prophets, which come to you in the clothing of sheep, but inwardly are ravening wolves. 16. By their fruits you shall know them. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17. even so every good tree yieldeth good fruits, and the evil yieldeth evil fruits. 18. A good tree can not yield evil fruits, neither an evil tree yield good fruits. 19. Every tree that yieldeth not good fruit, shall be cut down, and shall be cast into fire. 20. Therefore by their fruits you shall know them. 21. Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven: but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven, he shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. 22. Many shall say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and in thy name cast out Devils, and in thy name wrought many miracles? 23. And then I will confess unto them, That I never knew you, depart from me you that work iniquity.

Again, by entering through the narrow gate one enters into the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus make the parallel clear.
Protestants have corrupted the Bible. Get a copy of the Peshitta Bible, translated from the Aramaic, which Jesus spoke, by Lamsa

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Ancient-Translation-Peshitta/dp/0060649232/ref=asc_df_0060649232/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138858118623&psc=1#reader_0060649232

It corresponds to the Vulgate a lot--is more clear, and was Billy Grahm's favorite Bible, so no Protestant will argue about its validity. It accepts the deuterocanonical books, but these were added later, so are not in this translation.

Get http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rheims Old Testament is in three volumes and New Testament in the fourth volumn. The commentary is excellent for refuting Protestant errors.,