Addiction and Full Consent
(04-13-2018, 10:11 AM)SacraCor714 Wrote: (snip)

I find that when I commit this sin, my reasoning goes like this: "Well, I'm already in a state of mortal sin again and I won't be able to go to confession until a week from now, so I may as well not resist further temptations since I'm already on the road to hell regardless." And since I'm cut off from God's grace, I can't receive any help from Him to resist further temptations anyway.

The line of thinking you describe is akin to -- well, for ex., imagine a playground bully wanting to not be the schoolyard jerk any longer, realizing he's been wrong, and wanting to have friends. Say he stops bullying people, but still doesn't make new friends. If he thinks "t'heck with it; I'll just be a bully then," he hasn't truly repented and changed. He isn't wanting to do the right thing because it's the right thing and is pleasing to others; he's only wanting to do the right thing because of the potential payoff.

Wanting the payoff is good, and wanting to avoid the negative consequences of being a bully is good. But even better would be the bully committing to doing the right thing because it's the right thing, period. Wanting the payoff or to avoid negative consequences is like attrition; wanting to do the right thing because it's the right thing and it pleases God is contrition. Aim for contrition -- and know that perfect contrition forgives sin in itself, even outside of Confession (though one has to have the resolve to go to Confession and to confess the sin when one can). Remember that we are bound by the Sacraments, but God isn't.

Or imagine this: you're marrying some guy. Then he fools around on you when he was out of town. He's going to be honest with you about it and tell you he's sorry, but won't see you for a week. So, because he he's already failed you and knows you won't hear about it for 7 more days, he says, "t'heck with it; I'll just go out and get a bunch of girls for the rest of my time out of town. What difference does it make now that I've already screwed up?" Would that excuse work on you? Would you think he's truly sorry for betraying you and that he actually considers what he did a bad thing? Would you trust him in the future? Does that help build y'all's relationship or does it corrode or destroy it?

What others have said about actual grace is key as well.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • HailGilbert