'The Challenge' here on FE
Has anyone used the 'challenge' site here on FE (https://www.fisheaters.com/challenge.html) and asked a protestant friend or relative to answer the questions hoping that they convert or plant seeds of conversion?
If anyone has, did it work or have any effects?
I've started to try and answer/research the questions for myself. There are many questions on it that I have no idea about, although I've looked into some of them there are more that I can't answer.
When I'm done I'd like to send the challenge to my brother in law who is evangelical protestant and I do care about his conversion. He says he loves Christ but he's kinda screwed up. He also believes that all you have to do to interpret scripture is 'pray and concentrate really hard'. I've thought about printing the challenge and giving it to him and see if he can answer it, but if I cant answer these questions myself maybe I don't think I should be doing that, at least not yet.
I guess this is my way of 'cheating' and see if I can get help on 'the challenge'? I'm not a good apologist either. :huh:
"We could conceiveably reach a stage in the world where Catholics alone might believe that two and two make four, and that grass is green in the springtime." - Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Bendita sea tu pureza y eternamente lo sea, pues todo un Dios se recrea, en tan graciosa belleza. A Ti celestial princesa, Virgen Sagrada María, yo te ofrezco en este día, alma vida y corazón. Mírame con compasión, no me dejes, Madre mía.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 51olds's post:
  • Basil3HCm
(04-13-2018, 10:35 AM)51olds Wrote: Has anyone used the 'challenge' site here on FE (https://www.fisheaters.com/challenge.html) and asked a protestant friend or relative to answer the questions hoping that they convert or plant seeds of conversion?
If anyone has, did it work or have any effects?
I've started to try and answer/research the questions for myself. There are many questions on it that I have no idea about, although I've looked into some of them there are more that I can't answer.
When I'm done I'd like to send the challenge to my brother in law who is evangelical protestant and I do care about his conversion. He says he loves Christ but he's kinda screwed up. He also believes that all you have to do to interpret scripture is 'pray and concentrate really hard'. I've thought about printing the challenge and giving it to him and see if he can answer it, but if I cant answer these questions myself maybe I don't think I should be doing that, at least not yet.
I guess this is my way of 'cheating' and see if I can get help on 'the challenge'? I'm not a good apologist either. :huh:

So, first, a suggestion. Do not jump into everything at once, you will also need to learn this too and you will be overwhelmed...

Two issues to start with
1. Evangelical Protestants believe everything needs to be in the Bible. The Bible does NOT say everything needs to be in the Bible, in fact, it supports the Catholic view of Scripture and Tradition. 2 Thessalonians 2:15, for starters. Hence Scripture alone, or Sola Scriptura, is not biblical but a tradition started by Martin Luther. So when you get get the inevitable response of you follow the "traditions of men..." just shoot that down.

2. Individual interpretation of scripture results in different opinions hence Baptists, Anglicans, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Pentecostals, etc. How can individual interpretation, which leads results disunity, be scriptural when Jesus says they will be one on John 17:21. Additionally Matthew 18:15-17 says for people to bring their differences to the Church, where can a Baptist and and Pentecostal bring their differences to be resolved? They can't because the Church on earth as described in the Bible does not exist in their context of Bible individualism.
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
[-] The following 2 users Like CaptCrunch73's post:
  • Becky, jovan66102
The response to 'Where is that in the Bible?' should always be to ask how do we know what belongs in the Bible and what doesn't? Who decided which books were inspired and which weren't? The answer, of course, is the Church, showing that the authority of the Bible depends on the Church, not the other way around.

And, no, the table of contents doesn't count.
[-] The following 3 users Like Paul's post:
  • Becky, CaptCrunch73, jovan66102
(04-13-2018, 10:35 AM)51olds Wrote: I guess this is my way of 'cheating' and see if I can get help on 'the challenge'? I'm not a good apologist either. :huh:

What are you stuck on?

This cheat sheet might help you (in pdf format): https://www.fisheaters.com/freebook.html
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s