Alpha program and Catholics
I go to breakfast with a bunch of guys after Tuesday morning Mass. I was having a discussion with one of them about the Alpha program being used at a local Catholic Church. He just loves the program. I made the point that it was  protestant, not Catholic and how Cardinal Burke did not allow the Marian Catechist to use Alpha. He named some Catholic Priest with a radio program (I can't remember the name) that says the Alpha is great. Anyway at the end of our discussion he said the only thing that really matters is that they find Jesus, not that they become Catholic. I almost fell out of my chair. I told him there is no salvation outside the Church. I told him that what he said was blasphemy. I also asked why he was Catholic if all that matters is that you find Jesus? Needless to say I think I'm going to find something else to do on Tuesday mornings. This is not the first time I had a run in with this guy.
With all the smart, intellectual Catholics in the world is it that hard to come up with a Catholic alternative to the protestant Alpha?
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
Alpha was started by an Anglican priest so it is OK to have it at our churches our Bishop said. I say no it is not OK and my mom agreed with me. Everyone who went to the Alpha course at our church said we missed something great. Mom and I stayed at home and did Rosary,listened to old Mother Angelica shows, and watched Archbishop Sheen on YouTube. I think we were better off than they were!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Becky's post:
  • HailGilbert, jovan66102
(04-13-2018, 08:57 PM)Becky Wrote: Alpha was started by an Anglican priest so it is OK to have it at our churches our Bishop said. 

The last time I checked, the Anglicans were still protestant and not part of the Catholic Church.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • HailGilbert
(04-13-2018, 11:50 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-13-2018, 08:57 PM)Becky Wrote: Alpha was started by an Anglican priest so it is OK to have it at our churches our Bishop said. 

The last time I checked, the Anglicans were still protestant and not part of the Catholic Church.

We are all children of God

[Image: c78294d10f0b14a4eac6ab2da1782a54--parade...parade.jpg]
(04-13-2018, 05:06 PM)BobR67 Wrote: I go to breakfast with a bunch of guys after Tuesday morning Mass. I was having a discussion with one of them about the Alpha program being used at a local Catholic Church. He just loves the program. I made the point that it was  protestant, not Catholic and how Cardinal Burke did not allow the Marian Catechist to use Alpha. He named some Catholic Priest with a radio program (I can't remember the name) that says the Alpha is great. Anyway at the end of our discussion he said the only thing that really matters is that they find Jesus, not that they become Catholic. I almost fell out of my chair. I told him there is no salvation outside the Church. I told him that what he said was blasphemy. I also asked why he was Catholic if all that matters is that you find Jesus? Needless to say I think I'm going to find something else to do on Tuesday mornings. This is not the first time I had a run in with this guy.
With all the smart, intellectual Catholics in the world is it that hard to come up with a Catholic alternative to the protestant Alpha?

You did the proper thing by pointing out and challenging his errors; if he chooses to remain in his errors, that is ultimately his problem, not yours.  But remember, if you leave, he will most likely be provided with the opportunity to further spread these errors unabated.  It may not necessarily be your cross to carry, but if not you, then whom?
[-] The following 2 users Like Bonaventure's post:
  • havok579257, jovan66102
(04-13-2018, 05:06 PM)BobR67 Wrote: I go to breakfast with a bunch of guys after Tuesday morning Mass. I was having a discussion with one of them about the Alpha program being used at a local Catholic Church. He just loves the program. I made the point that it was  protestant, not Catholic and how Cardinal Burke did not allow the Marian Catechist to use Alpha. He named some Catholic Priest with a radio program (I can't remember the name) that says the Alpha is great. Anyway at the end of our discussion he said the only thing that really matters is that they find Jesus, not that they become Catholic. I almost fell out of my chair. I told him there is no salvation outside the Church. I told him that what he said was blasphemy. I also asked why he was Catholic if all that matters is that you find Jesus? Needless to say I think I'm going to find something else to do on Tuesday mornings. This is not the first time I had a run in with this guy.

I would suggest you don't find something else to do and stick with meeting with these guys.  Obviously their faith is not strong and maybe your the influence they need to turn things around.  Maybe you can help them along the path back to being a better Catholic.  Maybe God put this in your path so you can bring some back to the fold.  Just something to consider.
[-] The following 2 users Like havok579257's post:
  • BobR67, jovan66102