St. Joseph's Chapel: Prayers for Employment
I work for a good Catholic company, but the money isn't flowing. We've been slowly starved this last eight months. I keep getting "feelings" that it will be okay, but neither path nor hope is in sight yet.

I no longer sleep at night. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I try not to despair but dark thoughts keep plaguing me.

Please pray for us.
[Image: prayer3.gif]
[Image: prayer3.gif]
Help!  Are any of you in Human Resources.  I have sent out about a 150 resumes in the last month and I have gotten two responses.  I would like to know if any of you are in Human Resources and would be interested in looking over my resume and cover letter.  I cannot believe that send out 3 - 5 resumes a day would only get two responses.  I have a a lot of experience, I have a portfolio, several resumes, cover letters, thank you notes, follow up letter.  I rehearse interviews, I have everything ready to go.  No, one is calling me.  I am wondering if my resume is not giving a way my age(52) and that could be why.  I would post it here or send it to you privately.  Everyone tells me my portfolio, resume, etc all look good, but then they are my friends and my just being polite.  My disability insurance stops on the 29th, and I have not a dime in the bank.  I am asking advice from anyone who might be able to help.  If someone out there has experience in HR and would like to review my resume and let me know if there is anything that I can do differently.  I am praying to St. Jospeh and every saint in heaven and of course I welcome your prayers however so advice would be very good.

Pax
Daniel
Daniel,

I recently finished up an associates degree in business administration. Two of the classes were helpful as far as your needs are concerned. They were HR and an internship where resume writing was the main criteria.

If you have sent out 150 identical resumes, that is a mistake. Each resume should be tailored for each position. You don't have to change the facts, just emphasize what you want to stand out for different positions. You should also know that many companies use sorting software, so key words are important.

Your resume should not be created by a resume wizard- create your own format.

This is the textbook that we used: http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_lamarre_career_1

I'm sure you could find one used at Amazon.

St. Joseph, pray for us!

adoramustechriste
     Thanks for the advice.  I do customize each resume somewhat to appeal to each individual employer.  If the medical office is geared toward psych patients I emphasize my experience in the mental health professions, if it is geriatric I put attention on my experience in home care.  If it office is family practice I adjust the resume and cover to emphasize skills with procedures and administration of medications.  Maybe I could be a little more.  This is not to say that I cannot improve in how I individualize my resume and I will work harder on that.  Also, my resume has evolved over and over throughout the years and pretty much has it's own format.  By the way, since I posted this message I did get a call back.  Actually, it was in response to a follow up letter and not a resume.  The office did not remember seeing a resume.  Unfortunately the offices was about 25 miles from my house and with the price of gas it was not worth it.  Thanks again for the advice.
Daniel

By

Daniel, It might be good to include a cover letter that explains how the job is a perfect match for your skills.  Make it sound like every job you apply for is the ONLY job you're applying for.

Also, calling about 2 days after sending the resume, and a follow up call once a week is a good idea.  Sometimes managers that do the hiring are lazy, and only interview those who keep calling.
Miss Fluffy, including a cover letter that explains how the job is a perfect match for my skills is an excellent idea.  To some extent I already do that but I think that I could be more emphatic about it in my cover letter.   As far as follow up calls I have not found any jobs listed that give their phone number.  They will give a fax or an email address.  Often you will see, "No calls please," written in the ad.  However I do send follow up letters.
Thinks so much for your advice.  It is very good.

Hey Daniel.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I seem to remember that you recently asked about GPAs. If you are considered a student at a college or university, then you should definitley contact them. They probably have someone there who can review your resume, maybe even give you some leads. Certain services are (likely) included with the tuition that you have already paid.

In the meantime... [Image: prayer3.gif]
Adoramustechriste,
My school does not assist schools in finding employment. I wonder if it is an age thing. I know that background that I consider important on my resume and does reflect that I am not young. I will be 53 next week.  I know that I am conpeteing against very young people. The medical assistant program I was in (I found out latter,) was for High School Students. It is called an ROP program. If seats are available after high school students enrolled then they accept adults to fill the remaining seats. I was the only grown up if you will that that survived the class. Every one else was 18 and in high school. I missed the prom by the way. I wasn't even asked but I did get to signs some years books. Private schools cost 11-16 thousand dollars for the program. Because I got into the ROP, I only had to pay 40 dollars. I worked very hard to complete this class and it appears that it is going to be more of a struggle to find a job doing it. However, I am not a quitter and plan to take additional course to become a paramedical examiner. I just hope that I can get some kind of work now so I start a phlebotomy course the fall. Continued prayers are welcome and thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate the advice from all of you. It is all good.
Pax
Daniel