So Tired of Going to Confession...
(04-16-2018, 04:38 PM)TheQueenMother Wrote: SacraCor, have you ever gone on a spiritual retreat? Would you seriously consider doing so now? Especially an Ignation retreat? You need to hit the reset button (in more ways than one) and I think a good retreat would do just that.

I don't think I could second this advice with more emphasis!

Firstly, I think you're expecting too much of grace, and not enough of yourself. Grace is not a magical pill or silver bullet. Confession doesn't magically prevent sin, we have to do the ground work.

Consider the story of Lazarus. Yes, Jesus came and did the Divine work, he brought him back from the dead and restored a rotting corpse to a condition where it could sustain life, and then reinfused his soul. Only God can do that. But then Lazarus comes out of the tomb and what?

"Whereupon the dead man came out, his feet and hands tied with linen strips, and his face muffled in a veil. Loose him, said Jesus, and let him go free." (Jn 11.44)

Jesus commanded the men around to do the human work necessary.

You need to confess, you need to pray. That's extremely important, but more has to happen. You need to set yourself up for success.

You need to occupy your time so there is less chance of sin. You need to have outlets for the frustration. Perhaps there are other medical or psychological issues that need to be addressed. That is all work you need to do, or you need help in doing.

Without that work grace is water off a duck's back. You, and only you can dispose your soul and life for grace to have an effect. Even then, given the history of sins, you also will

As I've said before, marriage is not a solution to bad sexual habits. Those habits will continue in some form or another. You need to work on conquering those habits, but also with the assurance that if you're trying your best and consistently working, even though you are terribly weak, God will work with this.

That does not mean an overnight success, but a path to start down. It may mean confessing over and over and over and over. That's okay. That's why the confessional is there.

Use the Sacraments to help. Confess, then come back to confession (schedule it, if necessary) before you sin again. Use confession as a medicine and not just CPR.

Perhaps you can setup direction with a priest. You come at 9 am for confession, and again at 5 pm every day. Start by using that grace to go 6 hours, then 12 hours, then once strong enough 24 hours, then perhaps 2 days, then a week. Allow that grace to work.

But to get there, you may need to "reset" things a bit. For that I cannot recommend enough a traditional Ignatian Retreat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Justin Alphonsus

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Tired of Going to Confession... - by MagisterMusicae - 04-16-2018, 06:13 PM
RE: So Tired of Going to Confession... - by Zubr - 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM