So Tired of Going to Confession...
(04-18-2018, 10:36 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: Nonsense.  Let's not compare apples to oranges.

I suggested SacraCor CONSIDER deliverance prayers (along with many other suggestions), and then recommended a book.  When you so kindly pointed out that such book (by a priest that many here respect) did not have approval, I recommended others which do.

You did more than that.

You :
  • a self-admitted anonymous source on an Internet Forum (who you just said is untrustworthy),
  • who has been around for less than 2 months (so has no reputation to fall back on),
  • and who has no ecclesiastical credentials or authority (at least so far as you have provided) as a spiritual director
  • presumed to give a diagnosis (Post no. 10):
(04-16-2018, 07:01 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: As I mentioned before on a different post, I really see evidence of spiritual oppression going on in your life.

That would be a diagnosis that really ought to be ferreted out by a spiritual director, confessor or priest, not an anonymous forum poster with no credentials or history to fall back on.

And on top of that made the statement that "I think most here have a fairly strong spiritual life."

Many do, but if you have been following SacraCor's posts, I don't think that is a sensible understanding of her situation. She was living with her fiancée (on questionable advice from a priest), has for a long time been struggling against sexual issues and frequently falling, publicly posted things which were harmful to her marriage, is very easily turned toward despair, and ready to post what many would consider semi-blasphemous (but we know to be cries for help, not a desire to sin).

She needs our prayers, sacrifices, encouragement and care, no doubt. I have had Masses offered for her myself, and pray for her. Still, I seriously doubt you will find that someone going from mortal sin to mortal sin has a "fairly strong spiritual life" and is thus ready for a frontal assualt on the devil.

None of the traditional ascetic writers would recommend such a thing.

(04-18-2018, 10:36 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: You then went on to describe (WITHOUT ANY ECCLESIATICAL MERIT OR AUTHORITY) under WHAT SPECIFIC CONDITIONS one could say those deliverance prayers.  These are not your conditions to prescribe, unless you are saying twelve years on an internet forum gives you the same qualifications as one's own priest.

I only summarized what every traditional ascetic writer recommends. Ready Tanquerey, Royo-Marín, St Francis de Sales, Garrigou-Lagrange, Dom Chautard, St Teresa or any other standard ascetic author and all will show that there is a slow and step-wise process to grow in the spiritual life.

I am not saying that deliverance prayers are a bad thing, or evil. Just that they are not the standard, tried-and-true method recommended.

The standard things recommended, in this order, are daily Rosary, daily Communion, fortnightly to monthly confession, frequent recollections of God's presence, spiritual reading, meditation and other liturgical prayers and other private devotions, then on-on-one spiritual direction, additional penances and practices, etc.

The first step is obviously to try to get her out of falling back into sin. The usual method recommended by most spiritual authors for that is activity so there is not the opportunity, regular confession (even multiple times a day), and regular good Communions.

I think she should stick to the usual things unless her confessor recommends another step.

(04-18-2018, 10:36 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: And I think what is missing here, so other readers know, is that on an earlier thread, which I alluded to in my initial post, that she contact a priest for her possible spiritual oppression.

If you look at that thread it seems like it was you who suggested that she had some diabolical oppression, for which the remedy is ... start with deliverance prayers! Or perhaps have a priest pray ... deliverance prayers!

I am not saying this is a bad idea, but it's certainly not the place to begin, and it does seem it was you who put the whole notion of oppression out to begin with.

(04-18-2018, 10:36 PM)SEDLIBERANOSAMALO Wrote: I agree that spiritual warfare is not something that should be taken lightly.  The end goal of the evil one is to bring one to despair, and to reject God.  That was what I was seeing in SacraCor's post.   And I would hate for her to be denied what our Holy Mother Church has prescribed for millennia to assist in her battle, especially when she seems sincerely interested in living a life of holiness.

Except, the Church really hasn't done so, at least not in any widespread or common way in the last half a millennium. If it had, the knowledge and books of such prayers and methods would be widely available.

Why do you think that Fr Ripperger printed the book collecting lots of things from here there and everywhere? Perhaps because these prayers and the whole "deliverance" notion had fallen out of common use.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a standard spiritual author who suggests this method. Rather, you have plenty of popular and unorthodox people like Neal Lozano pushing such things.

Again, I am not saying these are inherently bad or unorthodox, but they are not the place to start.

As was said above, let's help SacraCor deal with the problem that she has, not what might be. If and when she exhausts all other standard methods and her confessor thinks it a good idea, then have at the deliverance prayers.

But that's just the un-educated recommendation of an anonymous Internet Forum resident.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Tired of Going to Confession... - by Zubr - 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM
RE: So Tired of Going to Confession... - by MagisterMusicae - 04-19-2018, 12:22 AM