So Tired of Going to Confession...
Things that toxic trads do (from this website): Love to copy-paste stuff out of context in order to win ("win" being the operative word) a discussion (wait: "discussion"? No such thing! There are only debates!).

I really do not want to be this, so I think I will shake the sand from my feet, and call it a night.
I ask Jesus to cover me and my family in His most Precious Blood against any and all incursions of the evil one, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.
God bless you MM . . . I only want to help SacraCor and it seems like in the process I have greatly troubled you. Forgive me. Kind regards, SedLibera
I ask Jesus to cover me and my family in His most Precious Blood against any and all incursions of the evil one, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.
And for the record, I would never recommend Neal Lozano.
After some prayerful discernment, I've decided that some clarification in this thread is indeed necessary, and I apologize in advance if I come across as a toxic trad. My apology to MM for causing him agitation still stands.
(04-19-2018, 12:22 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: But that's just the un-educated recommendation of an anonymous Internet Forum resident.

No, I would not describe you as uneducated.  You clearly are intelligent and well-educated, and far more knowledgeable than the average layperson (in my opinion). 

I would just caution against equating duration with expertise.  Yes, there is an aspect of credibility that is part of that, as others have time to "judge one's fruit" so to speak, but I don't think one should consider someone's advice as superior simply because they have spent more time on this or that forum.   In the same vein, I don't think one should dismiss someone's advice as inferior, either, simply based on how much time one has put in.  A well-respected orthodox bishop could start posting here under an anonymous moniker tomorrow, and I don't think my advice (or anyone else's) should be weighted more heavily than his simply because I happened to join the discussion forum sooner.   Most importantly, I think that most would agree, that any advice taken from this forum and elsewhere, especially when taken from people whose credentials are unknown, requires proper discernment.  

And yes, there probably is some canon law against a bishop posting under a pseudonym, so maybe my scenario is improbable, but I think one gets the drift.
I would just like to add one more thing about deliverance prayers and such things. If you're going to poke at the beast, so to say, then I would at the very least talk to a (good) priest about it before anything. I don't see such a minimum requirement being an issue for anyone.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
[-] The following 2 users Like GangGreen's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, jovan66102
(04-19-2018, 12:22 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Many do, but if you have been following SacraCor's posts, I don't think that is a sensible understanding of her situation. She was living with her fiancée (on questionable advice from a priest), has for a long time been struggling against sexual issues and frequently falling, publicly posted things which were harmful to her marriage, is very easily turned toward despair, and ready to post what many would consider semi-blasphemous (but we know to be cries for help, not a desire to sin).

She needs our prayers, sacrifices, encouragement and care, no doubt. I have had Masses offered for her myself, and pray for her. Still, I seriously doubt you will find that someone going from mortal sin to mortal sin has a "fairly strong spiritual life" and is thus ready for a frontal assualt on the devil.

One of the signs of spiritual affliction is that, despite the normal remedies prescribed by the Church (regular Mass attendance, frequent Confession, saying the Rosary, etc) one still continues to fall into mortal sin.  Under spiritual affliction, one may struggle to have a strong prayer life, or to be able to properly meditate, or get to daily Mass or some of the other "prerequisites" that you say are necessary before seeking out deliverance prayers.   One may never be able to ever get to that place, and that is why it is dangerous to limit it.

But again, I would 100% agree that deliverance prayers are not for the novice.  I would never suggest deliverance prayers to someone who hasn't shown evidence of engaging in the tried and true remedies, and who isn't earnestly trying to seek out (and continue to try to live) a holy life.

Regarding SacraCor, I made my recommendation for deliverance prayers based on what she has revealed about herself (someone who attends Mass, goes to Confession, prays the Rosary, and wanting to live a holy life).   And, as mentioned previously, she seemed to be in a place of despair, and ready to reject God (also signs of spiritual affliction).  Whether she has genuinely presented herself, I don't know.
(04-20-2018, 12:03 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I would just like to add one more thing about deliverance prayers and such things. If you're going to poke at the beast, so to say, then I would at the very least talk to a (good) priest about it before anything. I don't see such a minimum requirement being an issue for anyone.

Yes, that was the next thing I was going to recommend.   In rereading my posts, I can see how I greatly underemphasized the need to exercise caution in saying deliverance prayers, especially if saying them on someone else's behalf (which I would not recommend doing - that would DEFINITELY require first intense spiritual counsel, a very healthy spiritual life, fasting, use of sacramentals, etc.).    

I had recommended that SacraCor see a priest for deliverance prayers in an earlier thread - and tried to point this out later on this thread. Not sure that it was clear, however.

By all means, see a (good) priest first.
And please allow me to add I was blessed with many profound graces after prayers of deliverance were prayed over me by a very good and holy priest. Spontaneous interjection here: Praise be the Holy Name of Jesus!

Edit: Sorry, just reflecting on the mercy that God has shown me, a most pitiful sinner, in releasing me from the bondage I was complicit in creating, and in restoring to me the possibility of life eternally with Him, makes me a little emotional.

God bless, Sed Libera
Lastly, I too would stay away from the unorthodox people promoting their modern version of deliverance.  But there are orthodox who do promote deliverance prayers, which are licit.  I just don't think it is right to deprive anyone of the Church's gifts, just because they are not widespread, or have fallen out of common use.  I mean, one could apply that logic to the TLM, right?