Catholic School? Really?
(05-02-2018, 12:25 PM)yablabo Wrote: The reason I say that I don't see how a catholic family could morally have recourse to public school for their children is due to Canons 796 - 802 in Canon Law.  I don't see how it is morally an option for parents to send their kids to any school that they don't approve of, actually.

What if they do approve of the local public school? While plenty of them are bad, there are some good ones out there, and not all teachers are atheists waiting to expel anyone who even says he's religious.

Canon 798 says "Parents are to entrust their children to those schools which provide a Catholic education. If they are unable to do this, they are obliged to take care that suitable Catholic education is provided for their children outside the schools." Even canon law recognises that it's not an option for everyone, and there are plenty of "Catholic" schools which do not provide a Catholic education. I'd say it's worse for a parish to promote heresy, since it's a lot easier to teach a child that a non-Catholic teacher is wrong when she says that all religions are equal than to teach a child that Fr. Bob is wrong when he says it - and then to expect him to continue to believe when even the priest is wrong.

And what's the other option? Homeschooling's good, but not all parents are cut out for it, and it's not practical if the wife has to work either because the husband's job doesn't fully support the family or if he's abandoned them.

I don't see anything wrong with a public school that sticks to the basics and doesn't push all the leftist crap infecting the culture today, combined with a good Catholic education at home, which doesn't just mean church on Sunday, but actually making the faith part of life at home.
(05-02-2018, 05:31 PM)Paul Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 12:25 PM)yablabo Wrote: The reason I say that I don't see how a catholic family could morally have recourse to public school for their children is due to Canons 796 - 802 in Canon Law.  I don't see how it is morally an option for parents to send their kids to any school that they don't approve of, actually.

Canon 798 says "Parents are to entrust their children to those schools which provide a Catholic education. If they are unable to do this, they are obliged to take care that suitable Catholic education is provided for their children outside the schools."

Yes, exactly.  Canon Law does not say that parents are to send their kids to school if there is none which provides for a Catholic education, but rather that the parents are obliged to take care of such "outside the schools." 

No public schools provide a Catholic education.  Most schools called "catholic" do not provide a Catholic education.  There is no requirement in Canon Law to teach children according to a state sanctioned home school program.  It's entirely up to the discretion of parents how they educate their children, just as long as the education is suitable and catholic.
(05-02-2018, 10:11 PM)yablabo Wrote: Yes, exactly.  Canon Law does not say that parents are to send their kids to school if there is none which provides for a Catholic education, but rather that the parents are obliged to take care of such "outside the schools."

So how does a mother whose husband abandoned the family homeschool her children, while also providing for their material needs?

Catholic education outside the school's doesn't mean every subject. A Catholic who sends her children to public school is not necessarily committing a sin.
(05-03-2018, 12:03 PM)Paul Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 10:11 PM)yablabo Wrote: Yes, exactly.  Canon Law does not say that parents are to send their kids to school if there is none which provides for a Catholic education, but rather that the parents are obliged to take care of such "outside the schools."

So how does a mother whose husband abandoned the family homeschool her children, while also providing for their material needs?

Catholic education outside the school's doesn't mean every subject. A Catholic who sends her children to public school is not necessarily committing a sin.

This is one of those circumstances used as an example that can be kept going ad infinitum by adding one more, "But, what about...?"

No abandoned woman exists in absence of her family.  It's a very dysfunctional, cold and ungenerous new family that would abandon their new daughter and grandchildren...not to mention her natural parents.
(05-03-2018, 10:57 PM)yablabo Wrote: This is one of those circumstances used as an example that can be kept going ad infinitum by adding one more, "But, what about...?"

Not homeschooling = going to hell. Got it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • jovan66102
(05-04-2018, 01:31 AM)Paul Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:57 PM)yablabo Wrote: This is one of those circumstances used as an example that can be kept going ad infinitum by adding one more, "But, what about...?"

Not homeschooling = going to hell. Got it.

Never said or implied that.
Homeschooling is not for everyone . Some parents are just not good teachers. Also you have to teach according to state requirments even at home. You can’t home school and just pick and choose what you teach.
(05-06-2018, 01:16 PM)havok579257 Wrote: Homeschooling is not for everyone .  Some parents are just not good teachers.  Also you have to teach according to state requirments even at home.  You can’t home school and just pick and choose what you teach.

That's what's said, I know.
Here is a link to an on-line Catholic School. It would be worth looking into very carefully, and much better than leaving The Catholic Faith due to to fiasco which is Novus Ordo! https://www.qasonline.org/ Simply copy and paste the link.
Is it just me or does any assignment that involves FaceBook seem a little out of place in that setting?