Feeling Welcome at Church
My tiny rural Parish doesn't have a 'coffee hour' every Sunday, but we do have one every two or three weeks. The first one I went to, the Priest announced there would be coffee and rolls after Mass. I didn't see any rolls, but what I did see was a breakfast buffet worthy of a restaurant! I've been in the Parish less than a year and I've made good friends. People offer me a ride home, which I will accept if the weather's bad, but I only live two and a half blocks from Church, I like to walk, and I need the exercise.

On the other hand, when I lived across the street from the Cathedral of St Peter in Kansas City, KS, I went to Mass every Sunday, my children were in the Parish school, we attended all the Parish events, etc., and I knew almost no one, because no one ever showed an interest in continuing a conversation, even if I had introduced myself.

I finally discovered the FSSP quasi-parish and started going there. Our Pastor insisted on a social hour after every Sung Mass on Sunday. People were outgoing and friendly. I made friends there that I'm still in contact with over 15 years later.

Luck of the draw?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • gracemary5
(05-09-2018, 04:11 PM)Ptochos Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 04:05 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 03:56 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: To more directly answer your question it's pretty much be friendly and say hello to new people...

The problem with that is, who are the new people? I used to live in a Parish that had five Sunday Masses. If i walked up to someone I had never seen and greeted them, they might have attended another Mass in the Parish for 20 years.

maybe it is as simple as having a coffee hour afterwards, or small groups based on where one is in life whether single, married, widowed, etc. as the Protestants do. I attended a Latin Mass for several months and then went to the annual meeting. Only 30 people showed up. Not a single person said hello to me. I think that is a problem.

i know what you are saying, experienced the same

but sometimes u have to extend the greeting yourself, rather than wait for someone to do that. I am surprised i of all people am saying that bc I am NOT an initiator, to say the least... but I realize this is so just the same
Quote:I finally discovered the FSSP quasi-parish and started going there. Our Pastor insisted on a social hour after every Sung Mass on Sunday. People were outgoing and friendly. I made friends there that I'm still in contact with over 15 years later.

Luck of the draw?

this is very interesting.

it makes me want to go to FSSP but I don't know where one is and it is likely very far away. Wait... maybe i don't even understand w hat you mean. What is FSSP anyway?

sorry, i was thinking of some other organization
Priestly Fraternity of St Peter, the Latin Mass institute. I wish I still drove! Their seminary in Denton is only about 25 minutes away, and the Parish in Lincoln is about an hour away.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(05-10-2018, 01:46 PM)havok579257 Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 10:41 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: I see Priests on twitter say that kids should be allowed to make noise and run around during mass so that they feel welcome.

So priests have actually said they encourage children to run around during mass?  Or are they saying they understand how kids are and we shouldn't exclude them because they are children?  

Also are these what we would consider a normal priest or are these extreme liberal priests?

Most Catholics would consider them fairly conservative or trad. I wouldn't though.
(05-10-2018, 02:16 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Priestly Fraternity of St Peter, the Latin Mass institute. I wish I still drove! Their seminary in Denton is only about 25 minutes away, and the Parish in Lincoln is about an hour away.

hmmm... from what I am hearing, I should live in Lincoln, NE, not only bc of what u say here but a few other reasons. I was there once and it is a different place than ... other places i have been... in a good way. I think God wants me where I am for now but in  the future... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
(05-09-2018, 10:41 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote: I see Priests on twitter say that kids should be allowed to make noise and run around during mass so that they feel welcome.
Peace.....Most parishes I am aware of, have a crying room with toys and books where younger ones can play and run back and forth while the Mass is heard over the speaker.  The parents can also see the mass through a glass window.  Then when the children grow a little and are a little more settled, they move them into the Parish pews with their story book and small rosary.  I notice too that parents with tots try to sit at the end of the pew so they can get up quickly if the child starts crying and take them to the back for a few minutes distraction and then return when things settle.  I think this is a good plan so as not to distract others.  Also children running around can lead to falls, and bumping heads when they are too small.  I really don't think it is a good plan to have young children running around - just picture it - let's say about 10-15 children running around the parish and then they will be yelling while mass is on - whose idea was this? - not a parent!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(05-10-2018, 03:01 PM)For Petes Sake Wrote:

So priests have actually said they encourage children to run around during mass?  Or are they saying they understand how kids are and we shouldn't exclude them because they are children?  

Also are these what we would consider a normal priest or are these extreme liberal priests?

Most Catholics would consider them fairly conservative or trad. I wouldn't though.
and they are encouraging kids to run around in mass?

This reminds me of when I was 3 and my mother took me to mass. Right before we went in she looked at me and told me about the correct behavior that she expected of me at mass.

It’s one thing to welcome children. It’s a very different matter to let them run wild while others are trying to pray and listen.