Feeling Welcome at Church
Very interesting question. When I retired from the army I moved to small town in Ohio. I attended Mass there for 3 years before anyone even talked to me. When I started to attend daily Mass things changed. Only because it is the same 10 people on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Then I decided to attend Wednesday Mass 16 miles away in a very small parish. Within a month I was helping with funeral masses, doing small maintenance work. I sometimes attend Sunday Mass there. I am thinking of joining that parish. 

I also attend a Byzantine Devine Liturgy once a month 40 miles away. I was mobbed after Devine Liturgy the first time I went. But It's easy to pick out the new guy at a Byzantine Church.

I remember growing up in a fairly large parish. We seemed to know everyone, but that happens when you go there all your life. I think every parish has a personality of its own. People like to socialize, it's the way people are. I don't care to be at the center of attention, but it's nice to be recognized and not to be invisiable.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
(05-11-2018, 06:11 AM)BobR67 Wrote: Very interesting question. When I retired from the army I moved to small town in Ohio. I attended Mass there for 3 years before anyone even talked to me. When I started to attend daily Mass things changed. Only because it is the same 10 people on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Then I decided to attend Wednesday Mass 16 miles away in a very small parish. Within a month I was helping with funeral masses, doing small maintenance work. I sometimes attend Sunday Mass there. I am thinking of joining that parish. 

I also attend a Byzantine Devine Liturgy once a month 40 miles away. I was mobbed after Devine Liturgy the first time I went. But It's easy to pick out the new guy at a Byzantine Church.

I remember growing up in a fairly large parish. We seemed to know everyone, but that happens when you go there all your life. I think every parish has a personality of its own. People like to socialize, it's the way people are. I don't care to be at the center of attention, but it's nice to be recognized and not to be invisiable.
Peace.....I have seen parishes that have greeters assigned to hand out bulletins, answer questions, and get people moving in the right direction - to socialize and become familiar  - seems like a very good way to go about it.  God bless, angeltime :heart: