Independent Catholics
I came across this video on YouTube, and I found the priest's rationale against the new 2011 English translation of the Roman Rite so bizarre. He holds that the translation "And also with you" is better than "And with your spirit" simply because that's not how we talk in English, or something along those lines.

Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
Independent priests are a bit of a scary subject.  In general, they're either confused, psychologically unstable, or evil people who unfortunately found a rogue bishop to ordain them.  There is so much information out there, it's difficult to make sense of it all.  It's easy to become addicted to that.  Unfortunately, many traditional Catholics seem to think the only way to be holy these days is to retreat into a sort of monasticism.  Maybe that really is the way, but some people aren't there yet though.  Some people still want to engage the culture, spiritual directors who just want them to break away end up just pushing them away.  They're confused, they can't find anyone who can engage them in the Church, so they end up wandering into the idea of being an Independent Catholic.  Sometimes, they have psychological problems, are rejected by dioceses and religious orders, and end up finding a schismatic bishop to ordain them since no one else will.  They're also confused, and may have less culpability for what they're doing, though they can also be extremely dangerous.  Worst of all, however, are the ones who go this way because they're evil.  Consumed by the vice of self-love, they have taken upon themselves something that is the Church's to give, not theirs to take, in order to possess something powerful.  They blaspheme by standing in Persona Christi when they have not been called to do so, and they commit a sacrilege against the priesthood and the Eucharist.

Say a prayer for such priests, and avoid them.  They have done a very foolish thing, and are jeopardizing their souls as well as the souls of those who seek their guidance.  Consider the words of St. Paul's second letter to Timothy: "I charge thee, before God and Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead, by his coming, and his kingdom: Preach the word: be instant in season, out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke in all patience and doctrine.  For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine; but according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." (2 Tim 4:4)

"Catch us the little foxes that destroy the vines: for our vineyard hath flourished."- Sg. 2:15
Many are just eccentrics who for one reason or another wanted to be a priest or a bishop so bad they started their own church or got independently ordained. Its a tragic situation but i get why people do it. A church is an institution like any other with a certain culture  and you either fit in or you don't, you either fit the mold and tow the party line or you get in trouble or in general don't fit in.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
Well, a little mind-fullness (thought-fullness) would be helpful, here, I believe. "Independent" priests cover a wide spectrum. Some are extremely liberal, like the woman priestesses, and some a very good, legitimately trained priests who simply continued saying the Tridentine Mass and have fairly large congregations. These have often willed their church property over to SSPX upon their death. There are independent Chapels around the country (USA) which may be helped by Traditional priests belonging to a legitimate Society. These priests are healthy and stable and have been in their chapels many years. Also, some priests go through good seminaries, perhaps FSSP or SSPX, and then choose to become independent, because their congregation has decided to become independent for whatever reason, and would have no one to minister to them. One should be careful in any chapel or church situation, these days. Perverts can target a traditional group especially, because there may be more innocence and naiveté there among overly trusting parents and children. That is just the sad state of our society. We are all from the same society, whether or not conservative or liberal or traditional. There are usually many less problems with conservatives and traditionalists, however, no one is immune to sin. I do not like lumping "independent priests" into one mold. If the chapel is teaching good catechism and the people well organized, it is probably a good group.
(05-16-2018, 02:26 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Many are just eccentrics who for one reason or another wanted to be a priest or a bishop so bad they started their own church or got independently ordained. Its a tragic situation but i get why people do it. A church is an institution like any other with a certain culture  and you either fit in or you don't, you either fit the mold and tow the party line or you get in trouble or in general don't fit in.

i don't fit in some Catholic Churches

because I am

actually Catholic