Please explain these innovations in the Novus Ordo Mass
I wonder if people even realize they have to “fast” an hour prior to receiving Holy Communion?
It used to be that it was necessary to fast from midnight prior to receiving Holy Communion.
Say no to NO.
(05-23-2018, 01:20 PM)Paradosiakos Wrote: I wonder if people even realize they have to “fast” an hour prior to receiving Holy Communion?
It used to be that it was necessary to fast from midnight prior to receiving Holy Communion.

Or in the US that Friday is still a day of Penitence and while they CAN eat meat if they choose to do so they are required to complete to some other form of penitence

"On the Fridays outside of Lent the U.S. bishops conference obtained the permission of the Holy See for Catholics in the US to substitute a penitential, or even a charitable, practice of their own choosing. They must do some penitential/charitable practice on these Fridays. For most people the easiest practice to consistently fulfill will be the traditional one, to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year. During Lent abstinence from meat on Fridays is obligatory in the United States as elsewhere."

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/...inence.cfm
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
(05-23-2018, 01:20 PM)Paradosiakos Wrote: I wonder if people even realize they have to “fast” an hour prior to receiving Holy Communion?

If it's Sunday Mass, just don't eat after you leave the house, since Mass is usually about 45 minutes before Communion. It's hardly even fasting anymore.
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • CaptCrunch73, jovan66102
(05-23-2018, 06:23 PM)Paul Wrote:

If it's Sunday Mass, just don't eat after you leave the house, since Mass is usually about 45 minutes before Communion. It's hardly even fasting anymore.
And yet I find people bringing coffee, mints, candy, etc. to Mass. Truly depressing.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(05-24-2018, 02:07 AM)Dominicus Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 06:23 PM)Paul Wrote:

And yet I find people bringing coffee, mints, candy, etc. to Mass. Truly depressing.

I tend to ask people (mainly children) who are eating in the church to leave and eat somewhere else.

Since I go to Mass in the morning, I don't eat breakfast. So you could say that I do fast from midnight to the time I receive Holy Communion. 

What's the rule today? You're supposed to fast 3 hours before Communion?
It's one hour since Paul VI. Pius XII reduced it to three hours when he allowed evening Masses.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-23-2018, 02:36 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote:

Or in the US that Friday is still a day of Penitence and while they CAN eat meat if they choose to do so they are required to complete to some other form of penitence

"On the Fridays outside of Lent the U.S. bishops conference obtained the permission of the Holy See for Catholics in the US to substitute a penitential, or even a charitable, practice of their own choosing. They must do some penitential/charitable practice on these Fridays. For most people the easiest practice to consistently fulfill will be the traditional one, to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year. During Lent abstinence from meat on Fridays is obligatory in the United States as elsewhere."

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/...inence.cfm

Actually, the USCCB urges/encourages other forms of penance, but does not bind one to do them under the pain of sin. It's a huge difference that people do not realize.

Here's a link on Catholic.com that discusses it. It goes along perfectly with the spirit of Vatican II or maybe the spirit of the 60s. Either way... Let's encourage people to do it, but not force them. They'll want to do it if they aren't forced into it. As if that works.
https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-...e-required
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(05-27-2018, 09:35 PM)Julia Augusta Wrote:

Since I go to Mass in the morning, I don't eat breakfast. So you could say that I do fast from midnight to the time I receive Holy Communion. 

What's the rule today? You're supposed to fast 3 hours before Communion?

Today the fast is one hour before Holy Communion.