Is tomorrow a new holy day of obligation?
(05-21-2018, 01:02 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Overall, I can't really complain about a feast day called Mary, Mother of the Church. Although, it's silly to create such a feast day and not create a special liturgy for it. Then again, I'd assume that we don't have very many special liturgies in the Novus Ordo.

It does have a proper Mass and Office. http://www.usccb.org/about/divine-worshi...church.cfm
(05-21-2018, 01:46 PM)Paul Wrote:
(05-21-2018, 01:02 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Overall, I can't really complain about a feast day called Mary, Mother of the Church. Although, it's silly to create such a feast day and not create a special liturgy for it. Then again, I'd assume that we don't have very many special liturgies in the Novus Ordo.

It does have a proper Mass and Office. http://www.usccb.org/about/divine-worshi...church.cfm

Nice, thanks.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(05-21-2018, 01:42 PM)Paul Wrote: The Queenship of Mary is a recent feast, added in 1955. In the new calendar, it's on 22 August, the former Octave Day of the Assumption, and, also recently, the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which was moved to the Saturday after the Sacred Heart.

This new Feast is Mary, Mother of the Church, which isn't a new title but I'm not familiar with what exactly it is.

Here's a quote from an article:
Quote:Honoring Mary as mother of the church on the day after Pentecost also highlights for Catholics that Mary was present with the disciples on Pentecost, praying with them as the Holy Spirit descended. Sarah said that Mary, "from the awaiting of the Spirit at Pentecost, has never ceased to take motherly care of the pilgrim church on earth."

Since we consider Pentecost as the official birthday of the Church, the date makes sense from that standpoint. Btw, the title apparently is fairly recent as well.  It was used by popes in the 18th & 19th century. Although there are writings from St. Ambrose which use this title as well, but they say they weren't known until the 20th century. Paul VI is the one who formally made it an official title of Our Lady.

Here's a quote from JPII
Quote:"Mary is present in the Church as the Mother of Christ, and at the same time as that Mother whom Christ, in the mystery of the Redemption, gave to humanity in the person of the Apostle John [cf. John 19:27]. Thus, in her new motherhood in the Spirit, Mary embraces each and every one in the Church, and embraces each and every one through the Church."
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(05-21-2018, 04:38 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Paul VI is the one who formally made it an official title of Our Lady. 
If I recall correctly, he did so after the Council Fathers refused to do so. They didn't want to offend the 'separated brethren', so Paul just declared it unilaterally.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-21-2018, 04:38 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Since we consider Pentecost as the official birthday of the Church, the date makes sense from that standpoint. Btw, the title apparently is fairly recent as well.  It was used by popes in the 18th & 19th century. Although there are writings from St. Ambrose which use this title as well, but they say they weren't known until the 20th century.

The date makes sense to link it with Pentecost, except for, you know, the octave for the second-most important feast day of the year.

And while there's no such thing as too much Mary, this unfortunately smells of yet another canonisation of the Council. The title was made official at Vatican II, and the reading in the Office of Readings (new Matins) is "Ex Allocutióne beáti Pauli Sexti, papæ, tértia Sacrosáncti Concílii Vaticáni II período exácta". Not that there's anything wrong with the reading itself, but why this feast, now, a few months before Paul VI himself gets canonised?

Here's the Latin texts for the Mass and Office:

http://www.cultodivino.va/content/cultod...nexus.html
There's the good old (perhaps apocryphal) story told of Pentecost Monday, 1970 :

The Monday after Pentecost in 1970, His Holiness Pope Paul VI went to the chapel for Holy Mass. Instead of the red vestments, for the Octave everyone knows follows Pentecost, there were laid out for him vestments of green.

Paul queried the MC assigned for that day, “What on earth are these for?  This is the Octave of Pentecost!  Where are the red vestments?”

“Santità,” quoth the MC, “this is now Tempus ‘per annum’.  It is green, now. The Octave of Pentecost was abolished.”

“Green? That cannot be!”, said the Pope, “Who did that?”

“Holiness, you did.”

And Paul VI wept.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102
As much as I love that story, it's probably not true. Pentecost was 17 May 1970, and in the new calendar, 18 May is the feast of St John I, pope and martyr. While it's an Optional Memorial, it's not likely that the feast of a martyred pope wouldn't be celebrated in Rome.
(05-20-2018, 09:29 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: For instance, Wikipedia says that Pentecost Monday is still a public holiday in Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, Austria, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Hungary, Iceland, Ivory Coast, Luxembourg, Monaco, Montserrat, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Switzerland, Togo and Ukraine.

Pentecost Monday and Tuesday were until 1960 Doubles of the First Class, now the whole week is part of a First Class Octave.

But, in short, no where in the world aside from Germany is there an obligation of attending Mass or abstaining from servile work on Pentecost Monday.

This whole situation just shows that the Vatican has no idea any more what it is doing. First they did away with the octave of pentecost, not even considering the fact that pentecost monday was still a public holiday in many countries. So they made a decree that basically said "whoops, of course the octave of pentecost is abolished, except in countries where it is a public holiday, in those, the monday stays in.

Enter the new day of Mary, Mother of the Church. They didn't even think about the situation with pentecost monday. In Germany for a few days there was quite some confusion on what this decree meant. Does this mean we now have a public holiday of Mary, Mother of the Church? Does this mean that everyone in Germany celebrates Pentecost monday, except Catholics, who celebrate Mary, Mother of the Church, which just happens to be on a public holiday that is called Pentecost monday?  :huh: 

So again, after a few days the Vatican issued a "clarification", stating that the new day is only to be introduced in those countries that do not have Pentecost monday.

You really have to wonder, are they really that incompetent, or are they doing it on purpose, in order to sow confusion and destroy the liturgical unity of the Church?
"What you make with our Lord?" -Bishop Athanasius Schneider
I quite forgot that (in England at least) Ascension Thursday has been re-introduced as a holy day of obligation and did not go to mass on the day. I'm intending to try and go to mass on another day to unofficially make up for it. Okay, I know only God would be able to judge if that was acceptable and I will mention missing it, albeit not deliberately, next time I go to confession.