Pray Hard for Ireland!
I posted this on the Irish Conservative Forum, and am reproducing it here:

I am here in California praying and fasting for a No vote. It feels incongruous because it is a day of celebration at the school where I teach, celebrating the end of the school year. It is also oddly, unseasonably cold and it might rain: this does not happen often at this time of year in the San Joaquin Valley of California. The weather has transported me to Ireland.

I love and care about Ireland, and so I desperately hope for a No result for Ireland’s sake. But beyond Ireland, this referendum has massive repercussions. Ireland is a beautiful example of a functioning society without legalized abortion. Without Ireland, I don’t know what the future of the pro-life movement will be. Here in America the pro-choice side always portrays a pro-life society as thoroughly dystopian and nightmarish. Ireland has heretofore been a wonderful counter-example, and its loss would be detrimental to the movement world-wide.

Also, I know the result will be close. I know that whatever the result, half the people will be opposed to it. However, even a narrow victory for “Yes” will be portrayed as representing the entirety of the Irish people, while a “No” vote will be portrayed as thwarting the will of the people and hijacking the vote. In Catholic circles here I’ll be asked questions by people who know I have lived in Ireland, and the questions will be hostile and start from an assumption that the result represents 100% of the people. (By the way, I have noticed this is a tendency outside the United States...here, we seem to be quite aware of political division, and that most votes are won narrowly. However, when I hear reporting from other countries the result is always portrayed as overwhelming even when it isn’t. For instance, the degree to which Northern Ireland voted Remain, or England voted Leave, are not sufficient to be portrayed as being absolute).
"I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect ‘history’ to be anything but a ‘long defeat’ — though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"I know quite well that, to you as to me, the Church which once felt like a refuge, now often feels like a trap. There is nowhere else to go! (I wonder if this desperate feeling, the last state of loyally hanging on, was not, even more often than is actually recorded in the Gospels, felt by Our Lord’s followers in His earthly life-time?) I think there is nothing to do but pray, for the Church, the Vicar of Christ, and for ourselves; and meanwhile to exercise the virtue of loyalty, which indeed only becomes a virtue when one is under pressure to desert it." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"There is none so blind as he who will not agree with me." -someone else
Praying and fast and occasionally checking for news.
Praying and fasting and avoiding the news. I will wait until this evening to check, I've already had two heart attacks and I don't need another.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • HailGilbert
I prayed a Rosary for Ireland yesterday. I hope they vote for life.

In somewhat related news, a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe has begun weeping in Mexico City, and given that she is the patroness of the unborn, this doesn't bode well. That said, it's also in Mexico City, not Ireland, so it may have something to do with a problem in the United States.
(05-26-2018, 12:09 AM)In His Love Wrote: I prayed a Rosary for Ireland yesterday. I hope they vote for life.

In somewhat related news, a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe has begun weeping in Mexico City, and given that she is the patroness of the unborn, this doesn't bode well. That said, it's also in Mexico City, not Ireland, so it may have something to do with a problem in the United States.
Could it be that Mexico City has the most liberal abortion law in all Mexico?

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(05-26-2018, 12:16 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 12:09 AM)In His Love Wrote: I prayed a Rosary for Ireland yesterday. I hope they vote for life.

Could it be that Mexico City has the most liberal abortion law in all Mexico?
Oh, whoops. It's in New Mexico, not Mexico City.

https://churchpop.com/2018/05/24/miracle...the-video/
Not looking good
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/europe/ir...index.html
(05-26-2018, 12:36 AM)JEvolian18 Wrote: Not looking good
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/europe/ir...index.html

CNN also behaved as though Hillary was going to win the US election by a landslide.
Unfortunately, every exit poll being reported, in Ireland, the UK and the US shows the baby killers winning.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(05-26-2018, 01:49 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: Unfortunately, every exit poll being reported, in Ireland, the UK and the US shows the baby killers winning.

God help us all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • jovan66102