Failing Dioceses of Pittsburgh
I was in Pittsburgh last weekend. Visiting relatives. I visited my old parish, it will be consolidated with 3 other parishes. It was Pentecost Sunday but you would never know it, it seemed like just another Sunday. I also attended a couple of daily masses at near by parishes and the priests seemed like they celebrated mass like they had better things to do with their morning.
I talked the situation of the parish with my mom. She is a baby boomer and doesn't see my point of view that modernism and Vatican II has a lot to do with, if not all of the sorry state of the church. She has embraced PF as the savior of the modern church. It also supprised me (well maybe not) that there is only one Latin Mass in all of the Pittsburgh Dioceses. If we have bishops that continue down the same road the church will be very small. Maybe that is what we need, a purging in the church.
I can honestly say that if I remained living in Pittsburgh I would probably not be Catholic. I would probably be apart of some denominational church or be like my brother who has no faith at all. They have lost their Catholic identity.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
(05-22-2018, 07:02 AM)BobR67 Wrote: I was in Pittsburgh last weekend. Visiting relatives. I visited my old parish, it will be consolidated with 3 other parishes. It was Pentecost Sunday but you would never know it, it seemed like just another Sunday. I also attended a couple of daily masses at near by parishes and the priests seemed like they celebrated mass like they had better things to do with their morning.
I talked the situation of the parish with my mom. She is a baby boomer and doesn't see my point of view that modernism and Vatican II has a lot to do with, if not all of the sorry state of the church. She has embraced PF as the savior of the modern church. It also supprised me (well maybe not) that there is only one Latin Mass in all of the Pittsburgh Dioceses. If we have bishops that continue down the same road the church will be very small. Maybe that is what we need, a purging in the church.
I can honestly say that if I remained living in Pittsburgh I would probably not be Catholic. I would probably be apart of some denominational church or be like my brother who has no faith at all. They have lost their Catholic identity.

I am a "young" baby boomer.  I also found that the older members of my generation were all-in for Vatican II.  The people I knew in my old town were also all for divorce (divorce parties, anyone???), married priests, women priests, etc. 
 I really do think it is a generational thing.  We were children when VII came about, so we remember the old way and the NO way.  Heck, I played in guitar Masses, too!  Our religious education was terrible, almost non-existent, probably because the nuns didn't know what VII meant, either, so they didn't know what to teach us. Imagine, being 6,7,8 years old, being taught the questions and answers of the Boston Catechism, and then, poof, none of that matters anymore.  Pretty confusing for everyone.   What do I mean by that?  Well, one year in high school my religion grade(the whole semester) was based on memorizing the names of the books in the Old Testament, in order.  Then, my senior year I took a religion class called "Ethics".  We, being good little children of VII thought that we would be learning and, mostly,  discussing, you know, ethics. Solving the problems of the world in 50 minutes, 3 times a week.   But in came an old fashioned priest who just told us what to think and refused to discuss or explain anything.  I got a good grade but it turned me off of the Church for years.
Where were our parents in all of this?  They were as confused about VII as anyone.  And, they came from the generation that did not question priests or nuns or the Church.  Whatever Father or Sister said was law.  Go to Mass on Sunday and Holy Days, follow the rules, and you, too, can go to heaven.  Deep down faith, a personal relationship with Jesus not necessary, no need to read the Bible,  just follow the rules.
(05-22-2018, 07:02 AM)BobR67 Wrote: She has embraced PF as the savior of the modern church. 

No offence intended to your mother, Bob, but this is an attitude that just boggles my mind. I know it's not uncommon, but are these people unable to grasp the fact that much of what Francis says and does is not only not Catholic, but in many cases is actually anti-Catholic, undermining the Faith, and subverting the Law? Can they not see that he's not bringing in droves of new converts (oh, wait, that was what Vatican II was supposed to do!) and that he's driving a wedge between the 'official Church' and people who actually believe and try to practice the Catholic Faith!?
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-23-2018, 01:22 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I know it's not uncommon, but are these people unable to grasp the fact that much of what Francis says and does is not only not Catholic, but in many cases is actually anti-Catholic, undermining the Faith, and subverting the Law?

But... but... he's so nice!
(05-23-2018, 01:23 AM)Paul Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 01:22 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I know it's not uncommon, but are these people unable to grasp the fact that much of what Francis says and does is not only not Catholic, but in many cases is actually anti-Catholic, undermining the Faith, and subverting the Law?

But... but... he's so nice!
:LOL: And humble!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-23-2018, 01:22 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-22-2018, 07:02 AM)BobR67 Wrote: She has embraced PF as the savior of the modern church. 

No offence intended to your mother, Bob, but this is an attitude that just boggles my mind. I know it's not uncommon, but are these people unable to grasp the fact that much of what Francis says and does is not only not Catholic, but in many cases is actually anti-Catholic, undermining the Faith, and subverting the Law? Can they not see that he's not bringing in droves of new converts (oh, wait, that was what Vatican II was supposed to do!) and that he's driving a wedge between the 'official Church' and people who actually believe and try to practice the Catholic Faith!?
No offence taken. I am dumbfounded.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!