Usus Antiquor - question
Peace.....we just had a local announcement that a parish will be starting in September every second Saturday morning to have the Mass According to the Missal of Pope John XX111 - Mass of Missal 1962 E Form or Usus Antiquor.  

A friend of mine is very concerned about this date 1962 and said the Mass of P J XX111 was changed and we are only to consider attending a Tridentine Mass prior to that date.  

Please advise what is the correct thing to do??  Thankyou and God bless, angeltime :heart:
I may be wrong, but I believe the only changes made were the insertion of St Joseph into the Canon, and changes to the rubrics and calendar, The Office was changed quite a bit more, but I think the changes to the Missal were small. Plus, the Missal of John XXIII is the only one approved for use under SP (and the indult for the pre-1955 Holy Week that some Parishes have).
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • sobercatholic
(05-22-2018, 09:21 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I may be wrong, but I believe the only changes made were the insertion of St Joseph into the Canon, and changes to the rubrics and calendar, The Office was changed quite a bit more, but I think the changes to the Missal were small. Plus, the Missal of John XXIII is the only one approved for use under SP (and the indult for the pre-1955 Holy Week that some Parishes have).
Peace and thankyou, but what is SP?? :heart:
(05-22-2018, 09:21 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I may be wrong, but I believe the only changes made were the insertion of St Joseph into the Canon, and changes to the rubrics and calendar, The Office was changed quite a bit more, but I think the changes to the Missal were small. Plus, the Missal of John XXIII is the only one approved for use under SP (and the indult for the pre-1955 Holy Week that some Parishes have).
Peace.....I think I figured out haha!! what SP is - and I will feel quite ridiculous when you tell me....haha!! 
God bless, angeltime :heart:
Most Latin Mass communities only offer Mass according to the 1962 Missal. Occasionally, some may use the pre-1945 Holy Week liturgies, but beyond that it’s all 1962. Some schismatic groups use the 1954 or earlier, but I can’t recommend them. Perhaps the person who told you this either goes to one of them or has allied himself with them.
Pope Benedict's motu proprio 'freeing' the Old Mass. :LOL:
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-22-2018, 09:54 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: Most Latin Mass communities only offer Mass according to the 1962 Missal. Occasionally, some may use the pre-1945 Holy Week liturgies, but beyond that it’s all 1962. Some schismatic groups use the 1954 or earlier, but I can’t recommend them. Perhaps the person who told you this either goes to one of them or has allied himself with them.
Peace.....thankyou for your helpful response!  God bless, angeltime :heart:
(05-22-2018, 09:54 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Pope Benedict's motu proprio 'freeing' the Old Mass. :LOL:
:blush: :heart:
FSSP, ICKSP, SSPX all use the 1962. There are certainly enough trads who want to go back to a pre-1955 missal, but I believe AB Lefebvre agreed to use 1962 as a concession to Rome in hopes of moving reconcilation along. Unless I remember the story wrong. Either way, it's considered the last missal prior to the changes (and it would be considered a slight to John XXIII to use anything else), so that's why the Pope Benedict XVI picked it to be used in SP.

As a note, just about every TLM parish still include pieces that were, according to the red books, suppressed in 1962 such as the second confiteor. I think we tend to see more of a hybrid approach in some places, maybe I'm wrong.

This is a sede site, but once you get past the vitriol, it does give a comparison of the pre 1962 vs 1962 missals.
http://www.traditionalmass.org/articles/....php?id=18
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(05-22-2018, 09:54 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Pope Benedict's motu proprio 'freeing' the Old Mass. :LOL:

I had to think about that one myself.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!