Do you think it's fair to say that Catholics believe the world is sinful and evil?
Question 
And that we should detach from it? 

Is this a part of Catholic doctrine?
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Depends what you mean by "the world." If you mean God's creation, then we must regard it as good in accordance with Genesis, however, we must not place the goodness of creation over the goodness of God, and must be detached from even the greatest earthly goods, recognizing their lowliness in comparison with the ineffable God. Christ himself teaches us this saying: "he that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:36). Surely he wasn't denying the immense love we must have for our parents, and indeed all men, but it can't get in the way of our love for God.

On the other hand, the term "the world" takes on a different meaning in the Christian tradition. Specifically meaning that which is opposed to the Kingdom of Heaven, think of St. John's words in his first epistle: "For all that is in the world, is the concupiscence of the flesh, and the concupiscence of the eyes, and the pride of life, which is not of the Father, but is of the world" (1 John 2:16). Here I think the term refers only to concupiscence. Taken in this context, we Christians are called to reject the world, all in spirit, and some more radically by becoming monastics.

Complex topic though when you get specific. For example, how do I know when my enjoyment of let's say steak, or the glories of nature becomes too much? St. Augustine says that we need to learn to "read" earthly things in the proper manner so that we see and glorify God in them. So when we enjoy creation, we learn to enjoy it the sake of growing closer to God, rather than to the thing itself. In all things our wills must be directed towards God. But that's not always easy.
the human world is totally sinful

we are even guilty of unknown sins that also have to be purged in order to enter Heaven "where no impure thing will enter" (Revelation)
(05-23-2018, 02:25 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: the human world is totally sinful

we are even guilty of unknown sins that also have to be purged in order to enter Heaven "where no impure thing will enter" (Revelation)

One can't be guilty of an unknown sin.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 2 users Like VoxClamantis's post:
  • MaryTN, Melkite
(05-23-2018, 02:44 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 02:25 PM)gracemary5 Wrote: the human world is totally sinful

One can't be guilty of an unknown sin.

sure you can: pride, for one

selfishness. You think you are being thoughtful and considerate but there is that one person you don't like and refuse to be thoughtful and considerate with, etc...

Pride: you think you have given something to God (meaning you think it is no longer an idol) but you have actually held onto it way deep inside-- just  don't fully or consciously realize it. You are guilty of this kind of thing even if you are not consciously aware of it. But that said, most of us get a clue occasionally as to what's going on in the old subconscious.
Sigh.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Quote:sure you can: pride, for one

selfishness. You think you are being thoughtful and considerate but there is that one person you don't like and refuse to be thoughtful and considerate with, etc...

Pride: you think you have given something to God (meaning you think it is no longer an idol) but you have actually held onto it way deep inside-- just  don't fully or consciously realize it. You are guilty of this kind of thing even if you are not consciously aware of it. But that said, most of us get a clue occasionally as to what's going on in the old subconscious.

It appears you've been banned Grace, but if you're still reading remember what I told you in a previous thread you started about you "thinking God is evil." In order to sin you have to have full knowledge that a thing is sinful and you have to assent to it with your will. Therefore it's impossible to sin unconsciously because to do so would mean that one or both of those conditions are missing.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian
[-] The following 1 user Likes MeanGene's post:
  • MaryTN