Universal life church
hello, my brother just got ordained as a joke into the universal life church. It was purely a joke and i am wondering if he has gravely sinned in doing so. Thank you for all answers,!
Welcome to the boards!

Interesting first post.

RE: The Universal Life Church

From Wikipedia:

Quote:The Universal Life Church (ULC) is a non-denominational religious organization founded on a simple doctrine, "Do that which is right," and states that every person has the natural right (and the responsibility) to peacefully determine what is right.[3] Universal Life Church is an advocate of religious freedom and offers legal ordination to become a minister free of charge.[4] The ordination process states that anyone can become a minister by filling out a form that includes a legal name and valid address to be entered into the church records. Ordained ministers are eligible to receive an ordination credential which is a legal document.

I had to look it up since I have never heard of this denomination until now. Sounds like a variation on the Universalist Church.

It has a core doctrine of "Do that which is right", which is equally vague as some other of its tenets noted in the article. Rings kinda like "Do what thou wilt", from Alastair Crowley.

Is your brother a Catholic?

If so, he may wish to speak to a priest (a Catholic one) about his 'joke' ordination.

My gut feeling is that his ordination is probably about equal in value to the amount he paid for the procedure. But there may be more to this if he were Catholic.

If he is a Protestant, or some other belief, I'd say he'd have to follow his own conscience on the matter.

We, as Catholics, believe that all Protestant, Judaic, Hindu and Islamic belief systems, as examples, are Apostate, so we avoid them.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain
(05-23-2018, 10:18 PM)Zedta Wrote: Welcome to the boards!

Interesting first post.

RE: The Universal Life Church

From Wikipedia:

Quote:The Universal Life Church (ULC) is a non-denominational religious organization founded on a simple doctrine, "Do that which is right," and states that every person has the natural right (and the responsibility) to peacefully determine what is right.[3] Universal Life Church is an advocate of religious freedom and offers legal ordination to become a minister free of charge.[4] The ordination process states that anyone can become a minister by filling out a form that includes a legal name and valid address to be entered into the church records. Ordained ministers are eligible to receive an ordination credential which is a legal document.

I had to look it up since I have never heard of this denomination until now. Sounds like a variation on the Universalist Church.

It has a core doctrine of "Do that which is right", which is equally vague as some other of its tenets noted in the article. Rings kinda like "Do what thou wilt", from Alastair Crowley.

Is your brother a Catholic?

If so, he may wish to speak to a priest (a Catholic one) about his 'joke' ordination.

My gut feeling is that his ordination is probably about equal in value to the amount he paid for the procedure. But there may be more to this if he were Catholic.

If he is a Protestant, or some other belief, I'd say he'd have to follow his own conscience on the matter.

We, as Catholics, believe that all Protestant, Judaic, Hindu and Islamic belief systems, as examples, are Apostate, so we avoid them.
If you become ordained in their church you can legally do marriage ceremonies.  And get paid for the wedding.  A nice tidy business. I don't think they really believe in anything.
I smell a troll...................
Without weighing in on the morality, just a personal observation. I knew the founder of the ULC, Kirby Hensley, personally. He was an illiterate fundamentalist who once told me that he had been baptised so many times that he was on a first name basis with the fish. 

He founded the 'church' as a money making scam and in an attempt to avoid paying taxes. Whilst it is a recognised church, the IRS takes a very rigid view of what constitutes a church for their purposes. Kirby thought that he could just declare his house his 'church' and get out of taxes. Doesn't work quite like that. He was in and out of trouble with the IRS, got sued a few times for fraud, including once by the fellow I used to care for who was an 'ordained' ULC 'minister'.

I haven't looked at it for a long time. Kirby died in 1999, and I have no idea who's running the 'church' now. I know that in his heyday, for an added 'donation' you could be 'ordained' to any 'rank' you wanted. Cardinal, Pope, Grand Lama, it made no difference to Kirby. 

He was an interesting character! I've known several non-Catholics who got 'ordained' just so they could perform marriages for friends. However, I've also heard of wannabe 'priests' who got 'ordained' and started their own 'churches', that looked like they were independent Catholic.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(05-23-2018, 09:48 PM)Ldr112304 Wrote: hello, my brother just got ordained as a joke into the universal life church. It was purely a joke and i am wondering if he has gravely sinned in doing so. Thank you for all answers,!

He certainly sinned against humor ... I fail to see how anyone could see that as a "joke".

He gave a bunch of money away to a scam artist all for a piece of paper saying he's a minister of the "Universal Life Church".

I think the joke's on him.
(05-24-2018, 03:33 AM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(05-23-2018, 09:48 PM)Ldr112304 Wrote: hello, my brother just got ordained as a joke into the universal life church. It was purely a joke and i am wondering if he has gravely sinned in doing so. Thank you for all answers,!

He certainly sinned against humor ... I fail to see how anyone could see that as a "joke".

He gave a bunch of money away to a scam artist all for a piece of paper saying he's a minister of the "Universal Life Church".

I think the joke's on him.

i don't think
(05-24-2018, 10:24 AM)Ptochos Wrote: I'm not sure a good Catholic could do either of these things - perform a marriage without the Church's blessing, or set up shop as a psychic reader.

I don't see why a Catholic couldn't marry non-Catholics, since they're not bound by canonical form. The 'ordination' is what's problematic, not the marrying. Even if the Catholic sees it as nothing more than a piece of paper that makes his marriages recognised by the state, there's still the scandal of a Catholic pretending to be a minister of a fake church and thus saying to them that 'Do what is right' is all that Catholics have to believe.
Yes, your brother committed a grave sin by doing this.
(05-24-2018, 11:29 AM)Paul Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 10:24 AM)Ptochos Wrote: I'm not sure a good Catholic could do either of these things - perform a marriage without the Church's blessing, or set up shop as a psychic reader.

I don't see why a Catholic couldn't marry non-Catholics, since they're not bound by canonical form. The 'ordination' is what's problematic, not the marrying. Even if the Catholic sees it as nothing more than a piece of paper that makes his marriages recognised by the state, there's still the scandal of a Catholic pretending to be a minister of a fake church and thus saying to them that 'Do what is right' is all that Catholics have to believe.

A Catholic certainly could be the official state witness for a purely civil marriage (or the marriage of those not bound by canonical form), as long as it did not involve a religious ceremony, was absent any natural impedements (e.g. a man is trying to marry his step-daughter), other moral issues, or if it involved a Catholic.

As Paul points out, the problem is becoming a minister of a false Church, which certainly seems like the sin of apostasy, which carries with it a possible automatic excommunication reserved to the local bishop.